Ross MERP (Aug 2013) or St. James MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AverageJoe89

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, so I recently was admitted to St. James SOM in Bonaire and Ross MERP for this fall. I know the reputation Ross has far exceeds St. James. However, I checked out the St. James match list and they recently matched 28/40 in their last class, which isn't too shabby.

I have to make the decision soon and I'm really anxious. I've heard so many horror stories about Ross MERP but I have also heard some good success stories. Some folks say it's not worth it because its too difficult to pass and then you're just in debt for $20,000. I haven't really heard anyone tell me with confidence that it is the route to take. Is it worth it to spend 20,000 dollars on something that isn't guaranteed or may be too difficult? Or is it the wiser option to go for something that is guaranteed and have to worry about matching later?

Any type of constructive comments, suggestions and advice would be appreciated.
 
Go for Ross MERP. At least, if you make it through, you can practice in all 50 states, and you have a much better chance of matching. In my opinion, as long as you study hard, there is no reason you shouldn't make it through at Ross. Yes, there is attrition, but I think that says more about the caliber of the students than that of the school.
 
Go for Ross MERP. At least, if you make it through, you can practice in all 50 states, and you have a much better chance of matching. In my opinion, as long as you study hard, there is no reason you shouldn't make it through at Ross. Yes, there is attrition, but I think that says more about the caliber of the students than that of the school.

Agreed. I've heard that the quality of life kinda sucks... but you will only be there for 2 years. Their match list is impressive if you stay focused.