SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Ross question

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Toohotinvegas33, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33 Currently Glasgow 3 7+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Penal Colony
    How many people does Ross's med school graduate per year?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body 10+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2002
    I have no idea, but since they have 3 classes per year that graduate and about 150 (guesstimate) that make it to the last year, I would say 300-450 per year (guesstimate).

Call the school for a real number.

BTW- I love that avatar. That was a short-lived TV show, right...lol

4. Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33 Currently Glasgow 3 7+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Penal Colony
    Yes, they do need to bring the show back..or even put it on late night like "married with children".

Does anyone have some data for my previous question?

5. Shah_Patel_PT

Shah_Patel_PT MD Physician 10+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2005
    MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
    Last year we had 540+ graduates...this year we are expecting more than 560 graduates in June 07 who will start residencies in July.

6. phisigman03

phisigman03 Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2006
    closer than you think.
    McGillGrad, what happened I thought you got the answer for everything looks like in that last post you were way off son.

7. McGillGrad

Dec 21, 2002
    Looks like I found my very own cyber-stalker. I feel special.:love:

8. phisigman03

Mar 15, 2006
    closer than you think.
    sorry dude I am not a ****** like you.

9. SabaMed

SabaMed 2+ Year Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Go to SGU, AUC or Saba. Ross (spit) isn't a good choice.

10. McGillGrad

Dec 21, 2002
    Yes you are:laugh:

11. Jannat

Jannat New Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I recently heard that Ross has undergone a lot of changes regarding how the curriculum is split up over the semesters...anyone know about this?

Thanks.

12. phisigman03

Mar 15, 2006
    closer than you think.

It is true so now we have one course for 2 semsters instead of just one. Ross is going through alot of changes. The Ross that you;ve heard of from recent alumni was great that was because it was a real university that was focused on educating students. Since Devry took over it is nothing less than a money making machine. Before Ross was sold the class sizes were ~150 more like US class sizes with more student-teacher interaction. After 2003 class size jump to 300 and 400 and some of our hospitals for rotations are closed already because Devry doesn't want to pay more $$$. So if you are thinking about coming to Ross think twice about it or else it will be a big disappointment.

13. Jannat

Jannat New Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Thank you so much for your input...it will really help in making my decision!.

14. smck27

smck27 Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Ross's June 07 ceremony is graduating 600+.

It's true about Ross's clinical sites. They have doubled the number of students, double the number of students are passing Step 1--yet the number of clinical sites have decreased. Big problem. All hospitals I've been to complain about how Ross is late with payment etc. and how the other carrib schools even pay more than Ross.

15. monsoon338

monsoon338 5+ Year Member

Nov 10, 2006
    DeVry has helped the University too. It has expanded the library and gym, added 4 new classrooms, added plasma screens to the lecture halls and also has added new rotations sites to Ross' clinical affiliates.

16. ajce9

ajce9 Banned Banned

Mar 31, 2007

VERY WRONG.

I went to Ross and graduated from ross many years ago. Nothing has changed. Devry did not change it. It was the same way as you discribe it then and it is now.

When I was there they changed the rules and program at least 2 different times. They raised the tuition as well. The class size went from 150 to 250 in my year.

This is nothing new for Ross.

Ross was not really focused on educating students. Students did get educated because that is what they payed for.

Nothing has changed with ross. It is a second chance school and you have to work you a s s off to get through the island and the clinicals and to pass the USMLE I, II, and CSA.

17. PrettyDoctor82

PrettyDoctor82 7+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Yeah Ross is a hard school. Now any med school is hard, but at Ross if you fail a class, you repeat the whole semester on probation. Fail 2 classes, you're kicked out, and although you can appeal it, most get denied due to lack of strong arguments. Fail any class on probation or any semester afterwards - and you're gone.

18. McGillGrad

Dec 21, 2002

Your posts mean nothing without posting pics of yourself...especially with that username...:hardy:

19. Shah_Patel_PT

Apr 28, 2005
    MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
    .....this year Ross has a new record......more graduates (>575) will match in US residencies in 2007.....and that will be the most number of MATCHED graduates from any other medical school in the world.....including US allopathic schools.....schools that come close....325 from Wayne state med school....

20. helpfuldoc2b

helpfuldoc2b Banned Banned

Dec 6, 2006
    That is nothing to brag about, any school can admit 400 students 3X a year to get 1200 students a year and yeild a high amount of graduating students, if anything it should be showing the school is a degree money making mill than garnish it respect, what is so darn impressive of being the school with the most residencies in one year, again what school cant do that, just accept 1200+ students a year, fail crap loads of them, crap loads of them roll over from previous failures, prevent anyone who failed from taking step1, all the roll overs, 1200 student a year, etc... and you yield 575 students, big damn deal, doesnt say anything about Ross's credibility or teaching other than it accepts more students per year than any school in the world, hence an online degree mill just like all other degrees offered by DeVry.

21. Shah_Patel_PT

Apr 28, 2005
    MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV

I repeat again...it is currently the only school with that many graduates matching.

If all the schools could do it.....there would be many like Ross. And by the way, Ross is still independantly operated (nothing to do with Devry, except finance).....so there is nothing "online" about Ross's Medical Degree.

22. McGillGrad

Dec 21, 2002

Sounds like someone was rejected by Ross and is full of sour grapes.

23. ajce9

ajce9 Banned Banned

Mar 31, 2007

Actually it is a big deal for the carib schools. You have to look at the percentages. It is not the total number it is the percentage of students from that 1200 that get residency. what that means is that because such a high number do get residency, the students are either of higher caliber or the school does what they say.

It is true that Ross is a money pit. but if you do the work that money pit will get you where you want to be. MD with residency.

It is not an online degree mill since ross does not offer classes online.
    It is a credible degree because all Ross students have to take the same exam as the US students to get a Residency. it is called the USMLE.

During residency you are not differentiated by which school you went to. You simply learn medicine.

Also, if you compare ross and sgu and even auc to the other carib schools they have been around much longer and have built a certain level of credibility with program directors around the country.

Right now is actually a great time for Ross and all FMGs. since there is a shortage of primary care residents they are forced to take FMGs. This give the FMG a chance to prove to the US directors that they are just as skilled as US grads. This has happened time and time again.

It happened when there was a surplus of anesthesiologist and radiologist as well.

You will see that general surgery may be next. Less people are going into general surgery. OB/GYN is most likely another place where an FMG can prove themselves.

If you want to do rural Family medicine, then the sky is the limit and you will make more than the urban doc.

24. Shah_Patel_PT

Apr 28, 2005
    MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
    very nicely said!

25. bulletproof

bulletproof some dude... 7+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2005
    at large
    Agree with your post, but I believe you meant a deficit as opposed to a surplus.

26. Shah_Patel_PT

Apr 28, 2005
    MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
    ...actually both are true....depending on the year you quote..