Ross, St. George, AUC 30 years from now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think will happen to Ross, SGU, and AUC 30 years from now. Will they still exist? Will they be accepted into the "US allopathic medical school country club", and recognized as a "foreign brother"-LIKE CANADIAN SHCOOLS? Will they be owned and opperated by US MD schools? I mean, Ross is currently owned by DeVry, tommorow probably by YALE!!!! Cool, me a Yale alumni!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Any thougts?

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know. i would be interesting to see where each school ends up. possible these schools will be bought and traded like stocks. but in the end how much of that is going to effect you. hopefully not much. personally i think AUC (because its owned by one person) will not be sold for a long time. at the same time i dont think this guys sons are going to run the school. no idea about SGU. the thing about SMU is that its linked with a US school. so in a way it might just be a matter of time before the other major carib school enter that club. take care.

This is a very interesting question. The truth of the matter is that it's too hard to tell. In business, nothing is guaranteed. It appears that these 3 schools are doing the best right now. But things could change as they often do in business. It could be St. Christopher, UNIBE, or some other school. You just never know in the business world who will be on top in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be cautious about the caribbean. In 30 years new US schools may pop up eliminating much of the need for foreign physicians. I would say by then, enough MD and DO schools would be able to fill the need to serve the US on its own. We will not rely as heavily on foreign medical graduates.

Until then they will continue to be helpful until US medical schools get their footing.

Leukocyte said:
What do you think will happen to Ross, SGU, and AUC 30 years from now. Will they still exist? Will they be accepted into the "US allopathic medical school country club", and recognized as a "foreign brother"-LIKE CANADIAN SHCOOLS? Will they be owned and opperated by US MD schools? I mean, Ross is currently owned by DeVry, tommorow probably by YALE!!!! Cool, me a Yale alumni!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Any thougts?

I think you might find this interesting...My brother goes to SGU and *heard* that the AAMC actually contacted SGU and said that it would consider SGU for AAMC approval if it made some changes. I think he mentioned that one of the changes was lowering class size. He heard that SGU turned down the offer. Whether or not any of the schools want to admit it, they are there largely because foreign medical schools (specifically ones with US clinicals and licensure in all 50 states) are VERY lucrative. I'm not questioning the education received, but you can't deny that it's a very lucrative business. Lowering class size would lower the money made by the school. I'm sure the SGU students would have preferred that SGU be given AAMC approval. Again, I have no way of proving whether or not AAMC offered SGU potential approval. This is just what my brother *heard* so don't flame me for pushing propaganda. It could very well have been a rumor. :D

Anyway, one of the interesting articles I read about recently was the Cornell Medical School in Qatar, a satellite school of THE Cornell. Can you imagine what it would be like if that school was given approval? The floodgates would be opened and things could get messy.

Something else to consider...there's what...like 3 schools in Puerto Rico that are AAMC accredited if I remember correctly. Apparently the AAMC had to write to some PDs reminding them that schools like Ponce are AAMC, LCME accredited schools. So it'll be interesting to see what happens if SGU, AUC, and Ross get similar accreditation.

Sharky said:
I would be cautious about the caribbean. In 30 years new US schools may pop up eliminating much of the need for foreign physicians. I would say by then, enough MD and DO schools would be able to fill the need to serve the US on its own. We will not rely as heavily on foreign medical graduates.

Until then they will continue to be helpful until US medical schools get their footing.

I don't know about that...Sometimes you'll hear about the US whining about the need for physicians. And yet, how many US allopathic schools have opened up in say the past 20 years? Very few. BUT there's been a pretty significant surge in osteopathic schools as well as a greater interest in foreign schools with US clinicals. Think about it...the US Govt. claims to spend close to $1,000,000 on each US medical student. I don't know how the math works out on that one. But if a US student goes to a foreign medical than the US Govt doesn't spend a penny for the basic sciences. The US students that go to schools like SGU WANT to come back to the US and the US Govt knows that. So the government saves money and the US students get to go back to the states. Furthermore, there's what...about 25,000 residency positions each year. About 16,000 of those are US students (I can't remember if that's US allopathic with or without osteopathic). That leaves 9,000 positions open for foreign medical graduates, doesn't it? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Taking those numbers into consideration, do you really believe that the US isn't going to continue to take US-FMGs in say 30 years? I'd bet my money they still will.

Sharky said:

I don't see how what might or might not happen 30 years from now would require caution towards the better caribbean schools today. I'd probably be retired by then.

If you go to one of the better caribbean schools and subsequently get licensed now, you'll be fine. It's not like they'll take your license away from you later and give it to some kid.

Phil Anthropist said:
I think you might find this interesting...My brother goes to SGU and *heard* that the AAMC actually contacted SGU and said that it would consider SGU for AAMC approval if it made some changes.

When Ross was planning to build a campus in Casper, Wyoming in 1999, it met a lot of resistance from the AMA and the Wyoming Medical Board. Finally, the AMA and Wyoming offered Ross a deal. According to the deal,

1) Ross had to limit its class size to 50 students per year.

2) Most of the students must be Wyoming residents.

If Ross accepts the deal, it will then be granted LMCE accreditation and allowed to open in Wyoming as a US allopathic medical school, with a charter in the state of Wyoming.

Well, without even giving the deal any consideration, Ross refused this deal, and decided the hell with the Wyoming project.

wolfvgang22 said:
I don't see how what might or might not happen 30 years from now would require caution towards the better caribbean schools today. I'd probably be retired by then.

If you go to one of the better caribbean schools and subsequently get licensed now, you'll be fine. It's not like they'll take your license away from you later and give it to some kid.

Exactly! :thumbup:

Leukocyte said:
When Ross was planning to build a campus in Casper, Wyoming in 1999, it met a lot of resistance from the AMA and the Wyoming Medical Board. Finally, the AMA and Wyoming offered Ross a deal. According to the deal,

1) Ross had to limit its class size to 50 students per year.

2) Most of the students must be Wyoming residents.

If Ross accepts the deal, it will then be granted LMCE accreditation and allowed to open in Wyoming as a US allopathic medical school, with a charter in the state of Wyoming.

Well, without even giving the deal any consideration, Ross refused this deal, and decided the hell with the Wyoming project.

Huh...is that right? Well, either something similar happened with SGU or I just got the story confused. Not really all that surprising though is it?