Ross SVM student from New Jersey killed in mugging.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tiredofwaiting

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to take this time to address a more serious issue regarding security on the island of Grenada. I'm from New Jersey and after having read this article on the front page of my local newspaper, I'm concerned. I will be attending SGU in February and I can't help but think to myself that the islands are not safe. Any thoughts? Does anyone have insight in to security on campuses, specifically SGU? Can any current students comment on this (SGU or Ross)?

Thanks.
 
I beleive Ross med is not on the same Island as SGU. So its important to realize the difference in culture on the islands of the caribbean. Ross is on the Island of Dominica, and SGU is in Granada. From what I have read from student posts, the view of students by locals are different at both schools. Ross students, unfortunatly, are not looked upon favorably by the locals. However many feel safe despite the rudeness they experience. I'm sure other students may object to that statment, however many testimonials from students on the island can be found at valuemd.com, it is a forum for carribean schools. I'm not a student at either school, so all I can do is point you in the right direction to find information. You can do a search in forum with the link provided and read all about it for yourself and make an informed decision.
 
First, this incident happened some time ago (if this is the same one you are referring to): http://www.pamdemocrat.org/Newspaper/Details.cfm?Nz=$7GIJ2 S &Iz=#(2LD &Wz=->W9Q5YN7RW&T4+>OF@

Secondly, the school and the FBI responded appropriately. Unfortunately, these types of things can happen anywhere.

Lastly, the Ross veterinary school is on the island of St. Kitts. As was pointed out, Grenada and Dominica are two completely different islands. I can tell you that you must be careful in Dominica, especially if you are out late by yourself at night. But, this holds true anywhere.

Hope that helps.

-Skip
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You will be safer on islands than you will ever be in the United states. Have you seen the murder and other crime reports in the USA. No one has a gun in the Islands.

Now if you go to a bar and a bunch of islanders kiss your ass because you act like an arrogant american. (not all americans do that, but some do), then it's your own fault.

I knew several that had that happen to them.

EH
 
tiredofwaiting said:
I want to take this time to address a more serious issue regarding security on the island of Grenada. I'm from New Jersey and after having read this article on the front page of my local newspaper, I'm concerned. I will be attending SGU in February and I can't help but think to myself that the islands are not safe. Any thoughts? Does anyone have insight in to security on campuses, specifically SGU? Can any current students comment on this (SGU or Ross)?

Thanks.
I am a student at sgu and having spent a term and then some (rudely interrupted by Ivan I must say!) that the island is very safe- the level of violent crime is non existant. The biggest problem pre-ivan was burglary, many don't have job, know where students live and know they have nice stuff so its important to not leave things out in plain sight (als having a dog is very helpful- the grenadians tend to be a little wary of dogs), post ivan, yes there was looting(as there was in Fla post hurricane), but that calmed down a few days later. Never felt unsafe while I was there.
Like an earlier poster said, the islands are much safer than most of the US(I think the heat makes the effort to be violent a little much.)