Ross vs AUC

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by thedreamer6, Jun 20, 2008.

1. thedreamer6

Medical Student
    hello everyone! i have been reading some of the blogs and decided to sign up. i was wondering what peoples take on Ross vs AUC is. I got excepted into the July 08 MERP program at Ross, but then yesterday I just got a call from AUC saying they had rejected me unfairly and it was a mistake. They now want to reconsider me to join their Fall 08 class. I dont know what to do now...any opinions on going through with the MERP program in Ross or just going straight into the AUC medical school?? which is a better school overall? what about passing rates and clinicals for both of the schools?

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! thank you!!! :)

2. a817

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They have the same reputation, they will lead you to the same place, none of those schools will give you a distinct advantage over the other. Go for the guaranteed acceptance, AUC is on a better island anyway.

3. thedreamer6

Medical Student
    thanx! yea im just a lil worried bc AUC called me after this long...makes me think that they didnt have as many studentz 2 fill their seatz and so they just did a call back 4 me. i figured Ross is a better school because they have a lot more people, its a bigger school, and more well known for the caribbean. still havent decided which 1 im going 2 do tho...

ANY pros or cons for EITHER of Ross or AUC would be helpful in my final decision. thanx

4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Have you checked out ValueMD? They have a Caribbean med forum that has alot more info on it.

I have heard in the past Ross was having clinical problems getting everyone in one. Not sure if this is still the case.

I would go to AUC because of the better island and I like the smaller class size.

5. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would go to AUC. It is on a MUCH better island, cant stress that enough. you have an acceptance already. At ross you have been MERPd so you will be 20k and may not even have a seat in the class. Ross is huge, which means alot of people fail out, very cutthroat, more people at cadavers in lab. Both have federal loans and both have all 50 states. I would go with AUC they are equivilent schools. I would put SGU above ross and auc but AUC=Ross

6. thedreamer6

Medical Student
    so it seemz 2 b a consensus that AUC is better due to itz island. what makez it better??

7. NJMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should go to AUC hands down. If you had an outright admission to Ross then, you had something to consider. AUC is on St. Maarten which is way more developed than Dominica. Everything is readily available.

8. a817

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    AUC is the consensus, since it is a guaranteed acceptance while ross is not. That makes a big difference. less risk

9. argazul

Medical Student
    Gp straight to AUC. No debate there. If there was a debate it would be between AUC regular program vs Ross regular program. Don't study extra if u don't have to.

10. Gavanshir

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wish some students attending either Ross or AUC would reply to this.

11. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am a US grad of med school and residency. I would say if you are determined to take the Carib med school path, take the guaranteed acceptance you have. Bigger in my experience does not = better in medical education. remember, they need to provide you with some personalized-type instruction in clinicals, and then help you put together a residency application. I'd think that would be harder at a school w/more students, and more students often leads to competition/cutthroat attitudes. also, why would you want to pay an extra semester for tuition for classes that are not part of a degree program?

Either way, what you are doing is a little risky. Some Carib med school grads never even find a residency. still, if you excel you will likely have a good shot at many residencies in the US in primary care and less competitive specialties. Just be careful ("buyer beware" applies to these Caribbean schools).

12. bluealiendoctor

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Go to AUC! Everyone was right about MERP Ross or AUC admission. MERP is a waste of money. No reason to spend all that money just to 'prep' for med school. Go to AUC...they have just as good of a program and just as many residencies aquired. Dominica is a very poor, underdeveloped wasteland of a country. Lousy water system, electricity goes out 3-4 times a week..usually the day and night before an exam. I'm a Ross grad and stand by its structure so only if you had been granted admission into Ross would you have a tough decision. I would not lead you astray on this matter. Take AUC.

13. Guttenberg

Resident [Any Field]
    Such a strong consensus one way I feel like I'll try to be as objective as possible.

First, in my opinion Ross does not equal AUC.

I'm currently chief resident at a program in which the AUC grad was fired after their first year. We've taken two ross grads this year, and already they are superior to that one. Obviously this is an isolated case, but just looking over the past several years at our own institution, this hospital takes many Ross grads, and this includes specialities like Radiology.

So yes, take the guarenteed spot, but realize that you are competing with all of the other schools in the carribean, and to take your education seriously. It was quite clear that this AUC grad didn't have adequate training both in academic medicine as well as clinical medicine.

14. Guttenberg

Resident [Any Field]
    I can't speak about other programs, but this one is pretty big since it has so many residencies in it.

Of the carribean schools this hosp took..

Ross - 14
    St. George - 5
    SABA - 1
    St. Matthews - 1
    AUC - 0

That is the starting 2008-2009 class. In specialities like Categorial Internal Medicine, Surgery, OB, Path, Psych... the st. georges got radio at our hosp.