ROSS vs. DO school

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Luca45, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Luca45

Luca45 Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me: i am accepted at NYCOM and probably at ross and I dont know if it's worth it to go to the caribbean for the MD, when i can go to a DO school right in my own backyard. I understand a DO and MD are equivalent, but i dont know if i want to spend half my life explaining what a DO is. any thoughts?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Go DO! I'd rather explain what a DO is than explain that I went to the Carribean for medical school. Many people don't know or care that there are two different medical degrees. You'd probably have a better chance of getting a good residency with a DO degree than as a foreign graduate, even if it is MD.

4. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc

Post Doc
    if you really need to be an MD go to ross, however keep in mind that you will then have to take the CSA exam, given once a year in philadelphia. this test is completely subjective and tests your ability to perform physicals. if the proctor doesn't like your abdominal exam for some reason, too bad, try again next year...
    also it is much harder to get into any residency as a foreign medical grad.then there are the hurricanes...
    best of luck either way

5. nyskindr

nyskindr Senior Member

Based on everything I have heard the quality of medical education,faculty etc at NYCOM is far superior to Ross.You are assured clinical rotations at local hospitals a situation which may not be the case from Ross.The quality of residency appointments must be considered and Osteopathic grads do better generally than IMGs.
    A recent matchlist survey indicates a good number of NYCOM matches in ER med,Ortho surg,and radiology(see the pre osteopathic board)although many of these are at Osteopathic hospitals its going to be much harder to get them from Ross.However if you dont subscribe to the osteopathic approach or you cant deal with having a DO after your name then go elsewhere.

6. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

Luca,

I have a cousin who is a DO and another who is a MD. They both told me that all of this BS (MDvs.DO) is just that BS! IM not even applying to Medical school but I know that what I see and hear with my own eyes and ears is true.

If I were in your position I would definatley go to the DO school. What a great oppurtunity you have do not pass it up. Just my 2 cents!

7. Mr. Eastern Medicine

It seems like it's really really hard to get a residency by graduating from foreign med schools...is it really that hard to get one?
    What if a foreign med graduate wants to do Internal Med or Family Practice, will it still be hard to get one?

One more thing, do you guys think St. George's or Ross schools are that bad? What is so bad about these schools compare to those US med schools? Do you really think there are BIG differences?

Thanks~

8. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member

GO DO! There is no question in my mind. At Ross, they might not even let you take the board if you don't pass classes and achieve certain scores. At Ross, they WEED people out.

9. nyskindr

nyskindr Senior Member

If you pass the boards and get decent evaluations it is not difficult to obtain a residency SOMEPLACE in IM or FP from a carribean school and some grads do get into well known and even top programs, however for many others the choices will be limited.
    Anything else aside from psych or pathology is going to be hard.Carribean schools do represent an opportunity to practice medicine for those who are dedicated and highly motivated and fully understand its pros and cons.

10. pags

pags Senior Member

Easier to find a residency as an American grad(DO) vs. a foreign grad. Plain and simple. However, if you don't want to accept the fact that you will have to explain yourself over and over again, don't go DO.

11. Stephen Ewen

For what appears to be your goals, NYCOM is a superior option for you. Go with it.

12. Luca45

Luca45 Junior Member

To All:
    Thanks for all the responses...Its going to be a game-time decision, but I am leaning towards NYCOM because of the fact that I am guaranteed rotations in the area in which i hope to secure a residency, which is pretty important to me. I really dont think it is worth putting up with a worse situation, and the increased challenges at Ross just for the MD...being a DO is not going to change the way that I do my job. Thanks again, and good luck everybody...

13. foreigndude

foreigndude Junior Member

You can do a lot more with an MD degree no matter what school it is from. No one will ever ask you, unless the person wants to go to medical school, where you went to medical school. Half the physicians I worked with in an ER in Santa Barbara California attended a foreign med school. They came back to the U.S. without a problem. There are a lot of great schools out there. Remeber that your clinical years (for some foreign med schools) are spent in U.S. hospitals. The MD degree is a better choice for me.
    Foreign Dude

14. wsu

wsu Senior Member

my father told me this which i think is true. most patients don't know what a D.O. or M.D. really is. all they see is a phycisan and judge you on your competency, communication skills, and skill level. your peers will do the same. however, in the real world, D.O. and M.D., are somewhat two different worlds in perception. many of your colleagues will judge you not simply on your MD or DO but more on your skill level and ability. who you are and what you can accomplish. just having a D.O. or M.D. doesn't mean much, its what you make of it that deteremines your successes or failures as a physican. yes, there may be some barriers as a DO, but to be honest, just work hard, and proove yourself.

15. wsu

wsu Senior Member

also by the way, have you been to Ross. I'm not suggesting anything mean because i don't want offend anyone. but be aware what you're getting yourself in when you go down there. you have be very deteremined and focused. the living conditions are poor and the attrition rate is very high. i've been there to visit my friend there at medical school. i would suggest that you contact fellow students there and visit the school.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. hosskp1

hosskp1 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nyskindr:
    <strong>Based on everything I have heard the quality of medical education,faculty etc at NYCOM is far superior to Ross.You are assured clinical rotations at local hospitals a situation which may not be the case from Ross.The quality of residency appointments must be considered and Osteopathic grads do better generally than IMGs.
    A recent matchlist survey indicates a good number of NYCOM matches in ER med,Ortho surg,and radiology(see the pre osteopathic board)although many of these are at Osteopathic hospitals its going to be much harder to get them from Ross.However if you dont subscribe to the osteopathic approach or you cant deal with having a DO after your name then go elsewhere.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The reason that there are many NYCOM grads in osteopathic hospitals is that the osteopathic matching is a month before the Allopathic ones and many do not want to risk anything. They want to stay in a particular area and this is one way to ensure that it happens. Many of these people could have matched at allopathic programs they just did not have the chance to do so.

NYCOM has its problems-- but it is no way as bad as Ross or SGU. It is still a good opportunity and much better than living in the Caribean in a foreign country for extended periods of time. If you have to choose, do not pass up NYCOM-- you might regret it when you are taking all the extra exams for licensure(that US grads never have to take).