Ross vs Saint Georges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharpei5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

there's tons of threads looking at pros and cons to both schools..

Hey don't you have a picture of a rabbit drinking a beer? What a great vet you'll make. I prefer SGU over Ross right now. The Admissions people I have spoken with have seem to be a lot more friendly then at Ross. School looks better too.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i did a search on the forums and was only able to find one thread comparing the two (sure, it wasn't the most extensive search, but i did look through 5 pages of results)

check this one out. but keep in mind that most of the info in there is hearsay (most of the posts are "well, my friend goes there and says...". The thread's also a little old but it's worth a look.

I'm attending Ross next year (unless UPenn accepts me off their waitlist). I didn't specifically choose Ross over SGU... I just didn't really know anything about SGU.

Personally I think Ross sounds a little bit better but I'm not basing that on much (i THINK that only Ross has you finish in the US, and i THINK that stafford loans are only available at Ross).

One thing I have heard is that Ross trys fail people more often Fail 1 class retake entire semester even if you had all A's in every other class,fail 2 classes kicked out of school, also heard there is less crime at SGU but once again this is all he said she said.

You can also try going to both schools web sites and getting them to mail you promotional materials if you haven't already done so.

Sure, the information will be biased, but you're giving both of them the opportunity to impress you.

Personally I think Ross sounds a little bit better but I'm not basing that on much (i THINK that only Ross has you finish in the US, and i THINK that stafford loans are only available at Ross).

If you attend SGU, you complete your final year in the US (or associated school in another country) as well. AFAIK, you are correct that Ross is the only Caribbean school currently eligible for federal student loans (but I'm certainly not an expert).

Last edited:
Bulldog, that's not even her rabbit. her reply may have been short, but that's no reason to be rude about it.

Here are some relevant threads. They don't offer a direct comparison between the two, necessarily, but they will offer insight into the Caribbean schools for you.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=594591
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=438257
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=611243

This one involves getting pets onto the island:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=493184

And these two might be helpful but are slightly tempered by a member we had some issues with, hence some deleted posts. Just take what you can.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=544598
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=508863

I do hope these help. I understand that it's hard to search the forums sometimes when you aren't sure what to look for - I'm am old fart (forumwise) and remember these personally, so that helps. Just remember to search before you ask, but if you can't find, you are always welcome to ask. :)

Everything about SGU sounded great (I went to a presentation they did at my school a couple of years ago). They were in the process of getting accredited at that point, I am guessing they have finished this now?

Also I asked how their large animal program was and they said something along the lines of, "Well there's a few cattle farms you can go with the field service to, and there's 12 horses on the island."

Though if you do clinics in NA that might not be such an issue...for me personally I'd rather go to a school with lots of opportunities to get LA experience. But otherwise, Grenada is beautiful and the school sounded like so much fun!

Everything about SGU sounded great (I went to a presentation they did at my school a couple of years ago). They were in the process of getting accredited at that point, I am guessing they have finished this now?

i think that all the unaccredited schools are always "in the process" of getting accreditation :)

The AVMA site says confirms that neither Ross nor SGU is AVMA accredited though.

(note to OP: that doesn't mean you can't get an excellent, respected education there... it just means you may need to take an additional test/tests after graduation in order to practice in most US states)

I'm an SGU student who applied to both schools. The biggest disadvantage of SGU is that we don't get the federal loans, so all loans are through a private loan company. In the end, my decision came down to a gut feeling- I just felt more comfortable attending SGU than Ross, based on the forums and googling and information about both schools. Now that I'm here, I'm glad that this is the place I chose. There are definitely disadvantages to being down here (plane tickets are expensive!), but overall I'm really happy with the quality of the education I'm receiving. And yes, the weather is kind of awesome :). In regards to AVMA accreditation, it's something the school seems really committed to accomplishing, but it hasn't happened yet. This means that before being licensed in the states, we have to take either the ECVFG or the PAVE, in addition to the NAVLE (which everyone takes). Let me know if you have any other questions!

I posted this in the Ross Questions thread, but thought I'd put it over here as well. Does anyone know if either school is tablet friendly? (ex. do instructors post materials/powerpoints for students to download and take notes on?)

I understand that it's hard to search the forums sometimes when you aren't sure what to look for - I'm am old fart (forumwise) and remember these personally, so that helps. Just remember to search before you ask, but if you can't find, you are always welcome to ask. :)

Oh, and thanks twelvetigers for pulling up some old threads. I've read these ones previously, but it is always helpful to read the information again, and I (for one) appreciate you taking the time to look them up and post them. Searching sometimes yields some rather interesting results! ;)

I agree, the search tool isn't the greatest. But, it does help quite a lot to click "advanced" and then search the veterinary threads only.

And, you're welcome. :)

The professors at SGU are generally pretty good about putting all their powerpoints and stuff online, so students can use them in class if they want on their computers. There are a couple professors that don't, but those are the exception.

I am partial to SGU, but that is only because my wife is from Grenada and I love the island. Aside from being able to tell you how beautiful the island and the campus is I am of no use to you.