Ross vs. SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RJvet

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I have been accepted to both Ross and SGU and don't know how to decide between the two. Can anyone share their experiences, positive and negative (curriculum, housing, living expenses, etc.)? Besides their websites, I can't really find updates information/pros and cons of each school.

Also, what was the experience like moving to a different country?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I applied to both, but cancelled my Ross interview after I got into SGU for a few reasons.
1. SGU is slightly cheaper
2. Ross does trimesters, and I've heard from multiple sources that the burn out at Ross is much worse because of it. It equates to 3.25 years instead of just 3. I'd rather stick to the normal semester system with longer breaks.
3. I have a dog I intend to bring and Ross has a pet quarantine period.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello friends,

I have been accepted to both Ross and SGU and don't know how to decide between the two. Can anyone share their experiences, positive and negative (curriculum, housing, living expenses, etc.)? Besides their websites, I can't really find updates information/pros and cons of each school.

Thanks!

This is a great thread topic thanks for starting one up!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat as you and I picked SGU. Why? Cost. SGU is cheaper. It is even cheaper (with factoring in living cost) than some of the OOS.

I also chose SGU for the same reasons already discussed. I have a lot of friends at Ross that are already burnt out due to their trimester schedule. If you examine the crime statistics, St. Kitts is more dangerous than Grenada. The SGU people seemed very enthusiastic about their school. Not just the school, but the alumni and employees too. I just didn't get that feeling with the Ross people.

Also definitely check out what their current navle pass rates are. I think Ross was getting lower? If you can’t find a recent one on their site, they’ll be able to tell you what it is if you email.
If one is significantly lower than the other, that’s personally a red flag for me. They need 80% to keep accreditation, but that means for every 100 in your class, TWENTY are not passing either time they take it fourth year. That is not acceptable. This is a test that every student expects to pass, so that many failing in two times taking it, is not good.

Reactions: 5 users
Also definitely check out what their current navle pass rates are. I think Ross was getting lower? If you can’t find a recent one on their site, they’ll be able to tell you what it is if you email.
If one is significantly lower than the other, that’s personally a red flag for me. They need 80% to keep accreditation, but that means for every 100 in your class, TWENTY are not passing either time they take it fourth year. That is not acceptable. This is a test that every student expects to pass, so that many failing in two times taking it, is not good.
That is an excellent point. For those interested, Ross has decreased at 86, 83, 82% for the past three years; SGU increased 90, 94, 95%.

I went to SGU and loved it. I chose it over Ross for similar reasons to others; semesters vs. trimesters, only 6 terms on the island instead of 7, the variety of Master's programs offered even though I didn't end up doing one. Have felt as prepared as students from other schools both during 4th year and during internship.

2. Ross does trimesters, and I've heard from multiple sources that the burn out at Ross is much worse because of it. It equates to 3.25 years instead of just 3. I'd rather stick to the normal semester system with longer breaks.
No. It equates to 3.33 years TOTAL instead of 4. So you're done vet school faster. I, and many others, love that. It was the primary reason I went to Ross.

As a current student I haven't looked back at choosing SGU over Ross (my mentor went to Ross.)
1. Cheaper
2. Semesters instead of trimesters - This means actual breaks to spend time with family and professionally, means you actually have summers to complete internships which opens so many networking opportunities.
3. Grenada is very far south meaning we're usually out of the paths of hurricanes. Haven't been hit by one in the past 2 1/2 years being down there.

We'll be working for decades to come... finishing early and paying more doesn't make much sense to me especially with the reasons I mentioned above. What I will advise is to see if you can start in the Fall especially if you would like to complete an internship after graduation as they follow a traditional semester timeline.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello friends,

Thanks!
If you have specific questions about Ross feel free to message me. I loved my time there and would do it again in a heartbeat. The main reason I chose to go there was because of the trimesters and short breaks. I took two years off after undergrad so when I finally realized I was ready I was READY to start my career ASAP. Taking summers off while I could work for free or near minimum wage getting experience did not seem worth it while my loans would continue to accrue interest greater than any income I could make. I had several classmates who started at SGU, did not thrive, and ended up at Ross for various reasons. I also know of a handful who started at Ross and ended up at SGU so it goes either way.

Housing at Ross can be anything from something that feels like indoor camping (~$300/mo with roommates) to something that feels like you're on vacation (living in a restort ~$1500+ with no roommates). I lived extremely cheap on the island, never used all of my loan refund, and left school with a comparable amount of loans to many of my colleagues who went to school in the US.

Moving to another country was pretty easy. Ross does an excellent job of telling you EXACTLY what you need to do, when you need to do it. You just need a passport and they will take care of the rest. The complex thing is getting your dog into the country, and really the complex part is just getting the Rabies titres done in the US before you go. Then the vet will look at your dog for 1 second when you land in St. Kitts and you're supposed to just keep it on quarantine (i.e. at your home, within a fenced yard) for 30 days and then the vet is supposed to come by and look at your dog and be like 'yup still no Rabies' but 9 times out of 10 the vet doesn't even come to check and its way not as dramatic as you'd think.

Reactions: 8 users
No. It equates to 3.33 years TOTAL instead of 4. So you're done vet school faster. I, and many others, love that. It was the primary reason I went to Ross.
You pay for an extra semester that sgu and traditional US students do not because you do 7 pre clinical semesters instead of 6. Takes less time, costs more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You pay for an extra semester that sgu and traditional US students do not because you do 7 pre clinical semesters instead of 6. Takes less time, costs more.
Ross actually has 10 semesters total (7 pre-clinical and 3 clinical).

Cost comparison depends on which school but PER YEAR (i.e. 3 Ross semesters vs. 2 semesters at other schools) there are many schools that come out less expensive, very close, or more expensive than Ross. For example, per year when looking at tuition only Ross is more costly than SGU, the same as IS Tufts, and significantly cheaper than OOS CSU.

I am not just trying to nitpick here but I think there is general misunderstanding about how Ross works because it is a nontraditional schedule so I'm just trying to clear that up.

Out of curiosity, I checked the VIN map (so take with a grain of salt since they don't seem to update everything consistently) of what schools would be ranked for me as a Colorado resident. Ross came out to be 46/50 schools and SGU came out 23/50. I did the map based on COA and accrued interest. Ross is given as 10 semesters and SGU is given as 3 years, 4 months (so missing 4th year?)

Attachments

• Screenshot (865).png
    Screenshot (865).png
    327.7 KB · Views: 251
Out of curiosity, I checked the VIN map (so take with a grain of salt since they don't seem to update everything consistently) of what schools would be ranked for me as a Colorado resident. Ross came out to be 46/50 schools and SGU came out 23/50. I did the map based on COA and accrued interest. Ross is given as 10 semesters and SGU is given as 3 years, 4 months (so missing 4th year?)
I know 4th year at sgu is based on the school you attend for your clinicals. Not sure about Ross.

Edit: It looks like I may be wrong. I apologize. This is what I was told by the financial aid representative at an information meeting so that is where I was getting my information from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know 4th year at sgu is based on the school you attend for your clinicals. Not sure about Ross.

Ahhhh. Then you would have to then look up the 4th year tuition/fees of the schools that have contracts to take affiliated year students to be able to compare.

Edit: then that would make the VIN map deceiving in showing SGU as a 23/50 school. If you added the ~75k for COA for ILL to the SGU number, that would push SGU to a total of $362,415 (without interest) to 48/50.

Ahhhh. Then you would have to then look up the 4th year tuition/fees of the schools that have contracts to take affiliated year students to be able to compare.
Yeah it's really complicated. You don't get a straight answer from anywhere. If I had gotten in anywhere state side, I would have gone there. The debt I'm about to accrue is going to be ridiculous at SGU.

Edit: It looks like I may be wrong. I apologize. This is what I was told by the financial aid representative at an information meeting so that is where I was getting my information from.

Yeah it's really complicated. You don't get a straight answer from anywhere. If I had gotten in anywhere state side, I would have gone there. The debt I'm about to accrue is going to be ridiculous at SGU.

Yeah, I just did the math to see what someone who would do their 4th year at IL since we take affiliated year students, and it pushes SGU to 48/50 for CO residents. That's sneaky.

Yeah, I just did the math to see what someone who would do their 4th year at IL since we take affiliated year students, and it pushes SGU to 48/50 for CO residents. That's sneaky.

Yeah and some of the schools charge SGU students different than their own 4th year students (I asked one of their people about it) so it could be cheaper or more expensive than Ross depending on where you go.

Yeah and some of the schools charge SGU students different than their own 4th year students (I asked one of their people about it) so it could be cheaper or more expensive than Ross depending on where you go.

And when you're applying, there's really know way to know what schools will be available to do 4th year at (with any Caribbean school) cause that's a lot of time for schools to be added or dropped from the list.

And when you're applying, there's really know way to know what schools will be available to do 4th year at (with any Caribbean school) cause that's a lot of time for schools to be added or dropped from the list.
Yep. If you have seen my other posts on here, I wouldn't bring doing this if I didn't have my husband's money. Sounds terrible but it is true. It's just too expensive.

Ross clinical year is the same regardless of where you go. There’s also a huge amount of variation between cost of living depending on how you live on the island so looking at the tuition only option is probably a better evaluation

That's not true. Everyone pays the same amount of tuition for 4th year no matter what school you go to. It's more expensive than the first 3 years, but everyone pays the same.

Ross clinical year is the same regardless of where you go. There’s also a huge amount of variation between cost of living depending on how you live on the island so looking at the tuition only option is probably a better evaluation

I don't necessarily disagree with your point of looking at the COT vs COA due to how people adapt to the cost of living in an area. I have never taken close to the full loan amount and have only taken out 12k the last two years for living expenses, while working ~10 hours/week. I just always look at the COA numbers because that is the worst case scenario cause my family is hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

With that in mind, I redid the map with tuition and accrued interest instead of COA with accrued interest. Ross comes out to $259,309 (with 10 semesters), which is 36/50 schools; and SGU comes out at $211,211 (with 3 years and 4 months; would be 263,211 with IL 4th year tuition), which is 12/50 (or 41/50).

Attachments

• Screenshot (866).png
    Screenshot (866).png
    333.2 KB · Views: 161

Can you edit your post? Because this is 100% false... Source? 6th term student who has met with our assistant deans of clinical year placements... Also if you've done your due diligence as a student by looking on the website the tuition rates are published on the school website... There are no asterisks for clinical year rates.
Veterinary School Tuition – Leading Education. Competitive Costs. | St. George’s University

I don't necessarily disagree with your point of looking at the COT vs COA due to how people adapt to the cost of living in an area. I have never taken close to the full loan amount and have only taken out 12k the last two years for living expenses, while working ~10 hours/week. I just always look at the COA numbers because that is the worst case scenario cause my family is hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

With that in mind, I redid the map with tuition and accrued interest instead of COA with accrued interest. Ross comes out to $259,309 (with 10 semesters), which is 36/50 schools; and SGU comes out at $211,211 (with 3 years and 4 months; would be 263,211 with IL 4th year tuition), which is 12/50 (or 41/50).
Yeah, I feel like that's a more fair representation. I always used/took well under half the loan refund and also rarely went home or "on vacation" during breaks and instead had friends and family visit me so I could pet sit and make money LOL! I lived on the island far cheaper than I have ever lived in the US.

Can you edit your post? Because this is 100% false... Source? 6th term student who has met with our assistant deans of clinical year placements... Also if you've done your due diligence as a student by looking on the website the tuition rates are published on the school website... There are no asterisks for clinical year rates.
Veterinary School Tuition – Leading Education. Competitive Costs. | St. George’s University

That is what I was told at one of the info sessions by a SGU representative. Sorry if I am wrong. Those of you actually there would know more than me. I don't start until January. I was told by the representative that 4th year students were billed by the school they go to for clinicals. I can't find any information on this online so I may very well be wrong. I did edit my posts too. Again, I am sorry.

That is what I was told at one of the info sessions by a SGU representative. Sorry if I am wrong. Those of you actually there would know more than me. I don't start until January. I was told by the representative that 4th year students were billed by the school they go to for clinicals. I can't find any information on this online so I may very well be wrong. I did edit my posts too. Again, I am sorry.

No worries. Just didn't want prospective students to be thrown off. The SGU representative should've been clearer. They probably meant that each school charges SGU a different rate per the contract with each individual school. You'll be starting soon! I'm so excited when I see incoming students. I feels like just yesterday I was in Term 1 and now I've already got one foot out the door =(

No worries. Just didn't want prospective students to be thrown off. The SGU representative should've been clearer. They probably meant that each school charges SGU a different rate per the contract with each individual school. You'll be starting soon! I'm so excited when I see incoming students. I feels like just yesterday I was in Term 1 and now I've already got one foot out the door =(

It goes so fast. I miss Grenada so much ☹️

Ross actually has 10 semesters total (7 pre-clinical and 3 clinical).

Cost comparison depends on which school but PER YEAR (i.e. 3 Ross semesters vs. 2 semesters at other schools) there are many schools that come out less expensive, very close, or more expensive than Ross. For example, per year when looking at tuition only Ross is more costly than SGU, the same as IS Tufts, and significantly cheaper than OOS CSU.

I am not just trying to nitpick here but I think there is general misunderstanding about how Ross works because it is a nontraditional schedule so I'm just trying to clear that up.
I should have clarified that Ross is 10 semesters and SGU is 9 - but again thats what makes it a more expensive school than SGU (and I was just comparing those 2 schools). I can't imagine why anyone would pay more to go to a school that wasn't in the caribbean, who wouldn't want our beautiful weather and scenery?!

I can't imagine why anyone would pay more to go to a school that wasn't in the caribbean, who wouldn't want our beautiful weather and scenery?!

Hey there, don't go knocking on my corn.:p

• Haha
can someone touch a bit on accreditation and coming back to the US? is it easier to come back from SGU vs Ross?

Both schools are accredited, so for both schools its easy to work in the US, and not any more difficult than any school within the US

Thank you everyone for all your replies! I know this wasn't my question but I am also deciding between Ross and SGU right now so I am thankful for any info I can get. I was always worried about the cost of vet school but now that I am actually having to decide to commit I am even more intimidated and this thread was honest and helpful. Scared me but also made me feel a little better. Thanks guys!

Trying to decide between the two also unless I get off the waitlist at my top choice. Does anyone recommend touring them before making a decision/do the tours give a good idea about the school and the island?

Trying to decide between the two also unless I get off the waitlist at my top choice. Does anyone recommend touring them before making a decision/do the tours give a good idea about the school and the island?

I visited SGU before I attended and actually after I’d chosen it over Ross. For me it honestly almost scared me away because it was very much culture shock, even though I’d traveled a decent bit to similar countries in the past. However when I went for school my experience was totally different, I think because of the strong friendships and camraderie you form with your classmates. I truly loved my time there!

In reference to what @allygator13 said, did SGU offer a free trip to visit the school? It’s contingent upon matriculating but it’s a few days and they pay for everything. I’m not sure if that’s how she went after accepting a spot, but maybe that would be a different experience since you’re visiting the school more than just vacationing on the island.

In reference to what @allygator13 said, did SGU offer a free trip to visit the school? It’s contingent upon matriculating but it’s a few days and they pay for everything. I’m not sure if that’s how she went after accepting a spot, but maybe that would be a different experience since you’re visiting the school more than just vacationing on the island.

Yes, if you matriculate they will reimburse you for the cost of part of the trip and that’s what I did way back when. I don’t remember the exact details at this point but you can ask them!

Go to the cheapest, in this case SGU, but best of all get into your state school even if you have to wait.
150601a_3_lg.gif

I have not accepted my seat yet, but I am going to visit the school and Grenada at the end of March and I booked my trip with the "See SGU" program they have. If you have questions about it, I can share what I know so far! But what's been said so far is true, you book a trip with the school's travel agent and if you end up matriculating, then you get the airfare and hotel completely reimbursed.

I have not accepted my seat yet, but I am going to visit the school and Grenada at the end of March and I booked my trip with the "See SGU" program they have. If you have questions about it, I can share what I know so far! But what's been said so far is true, you book a trip with the school's travel agent and if you end up matriculating, then you get the airfare and hotel completely reimbursed.

Jealousssss I miss Grenada so much! Enjoy the beach for me :arghh:

Go to the cheapest, in this case SGU, but best of all get into your state school even if you have to wait.
150601a_3_lg.gif
JUST FYI to anyone looking I'm pretty sure this dude is a troll, I have no clue if these numbers are correct AT ALL and both of the "sources" listed don't link to actual web pages. So take this all with a grain of salt.

The quoted article was published May 13, 2015. It's 4 years outdated at this point, which can be a big difference in cost.
If anything though, those numbers go up.

Based on the COA map from VIN:
- tuition without interest for Ross: 231,070
- tuition without interest for SGU: 180,930

So it looks like while the cost of SGU has gone up about 7k, the cost for Ross has gone up around 40k. This makes the "gap" between them even larger.

Utilizing COA + accrued interest, SGU would come out to be about 83k "cheaper" by the time you graduate. I have no idea if the vin numbers are correct. And, it does seem weird that it lists 3 yrs, 4 months for SGU, like bats said. So using the link someone else posted for 4th year through SGU, this would add on approximately 70k (23.3k per term) to the cost of SGU. Disregarding interest on the last year (bc Idk how to do that), this would make the gap between the two schools to be about 13k, with Ross being more expensive. But, this also doesn't factor in the COL for your final year for SGU either, so you would need to subtract whatever you think that would be from the 13k, making the difference between the two probably close to negligible.

I thought this might be a more useful/updated comparison of the cost between the two (but actually now I think I might be more confused). The way the VIN map has it portrayed, makes Ross look waaaaaay more expensive than SGU, which doesnt actually seem to be the case. Idk why they don't include the final year in the cost of SGU because without that, it's really quite deceiving imo. anyone, feel free to correct me if I am wrong about what I posted.

Hope this helps @RJvet (although you prob have already decided) or anyone else trying to decide between the two

If you look directly on the SGU website tuition alone adds up to 190 (includes 4th year tuition.) That was easy. Look at the primary sources ppl

Hi friends,

I have an acceptance from Ross which would allow me to start in May of this year and finish in 3.25 years. I also have an acceptance from SGU's vet foundations program which would allow me to start in August. With the additional 6 months that the foundations program would require I would graduate in 4.5 years from SGU. Although I was excited for an SGU acceptance, I am having difficulty choosing them over ross with the additional program they want me to cover. Earning a DVM a year earlier from Ross university does seem like something that I am more willing to do. Any suggestions would be great!

Hi friends,

I have an acceptance from Ross which would allow me to start in May of this year and finish in 3.25 years. I also have an acceptance from SGU's vet foundations program which would allow me to start in August. With the additional 6 months that the foundations program would require I would graduate in 4.5 years from SGU. Although I was excited for an SGU acceptance, I am having difficulty choosing them over ross with the additional program they want me to cover. Earning a DVM a year earlier from Ross university does seem like something that I am more willing to do. Any suggestions would be great!
I think you've already answered your own question. Done 1 year earlier, 1 year sooner you can start working, 1 year sooner you'll make real money. 1 year sooner you're out of school. 1 year less of debt+interest.