Ross vs SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbludevil

BBBBB
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a matter of competitiveness to got a residency, which of the 2 schools produce the most residents, higher pass rates of board etc.

In a matter of lifestyle, which would seem easier place to live with a family?

Members don't see this ad.

In a matter of competitiveness to got a residency, which of the 2 schools produce the most residents, higher pass rates of board etc.

no published data on anything. but for more info you can go to www.valuemd.com and read the posts on the Ross forum and SGU forums. Ross does have a lot of issues so I wouldn't recommend going there. read their forum to find out more.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0epRjfGLw[/YOUTUBE]

IMO, SGU for both.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go to the school with the better USMLE pass rate, which seems to be St George. Also, it seems there are rumblings of problems at Ross...although it's been around a long time as an institution, if they are currently having problems then you need to decide by what is going on now, not just the fact that they have/claim this long tradition of training docs to practice in the U.S.

SGU grads seem satisfied with their education, whereas a significant minority of Ross grads want to burn the school to the ground after they graduate.

SGU grads seem satisfied with their education, whereas a significant minority of Ross grads want to burn the school to the ground after they graduate.

lol.....I came to the same conclusion oafter reading posts by Ross students...also, many seem to be ashamed of having studied there....

SGU all the way.

I have worked with grads from both schools. SGU currently is more competitive for residency placement.

I believe Ross has more residents (7000+). SGU has higher pass rates.

(Ross takes in more students and cranks them out 3 times a year.)

edit: I guess I should say that Ross has 7000+ graduates. Not sure about current residents.

Last edited:

Ross is cheaper. Ross is like Walmart, SGU is like Target. Both will get you your MD and residency.

4a49ca9e77356fe8d416bab9634ee586.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I went to SGU and was very satisfied with my training.

Check out the information that is posted on SGUs website. It lists their USMLE pass rate and shows the pass rate of other carib programs. Also, check out their residency placement lists over the past 5 years. If you have trouble finding anything, write or call the school directly.

I believe SGU's USMLE first time pass rate is the highest among carib programs. Do a little research for yourself and find out.

SGU is costly, but well worth the price.

rlxdmd

no published data on anything. but for more info you can go to www.valuemd.com and read the posts on the Ross forum and SGU forums. Ross does have a lot of issues so I wouldn't recommend going there. read their forum to find out more.
I tried looking through that site. It ****ing sucks. No information on Ross comes up, though.

I tried looking through that site. It ****ing sucks. No information on Ross comes up, though.

um no it F**** doesn't suck. you just don't know how to use it. it has a ton more info on it than this site about carib schools and has a ton more people posting on it from those schools.

Sweetie, can you hold my hand and show me how to use it?

I need more hand-holding. You mentioned some words about Ross for the negative. Where might some of those comments be and what are they?

read through the posts.. you'll find them. or you can make your own post. i am not going to spoon feed you everything. you have to do your own work too..

but it says you're a medical student already so why do you care about Ross or anyother medical school for that matter?

Curiosity. You're a medical student and you care a lot about other medical schools, don't you?

:thumbup::thumbup:
no i don't.. i only care about how i do and as long as i am better than most i am satisfied.

Well done... revealing your true competitive nature!:laugh:

rlxdmd

no i don't.. i only care about how i do and as long as i am better than most i am satisfied.

You just said what we all think.

Honestly, if we don't take care of ourselves, how are we supposed to take care of others as physicians...

I have many friends who I have lost along the way. Some of them would have made great physicians and others might be better off doing someting else. How I do is my #1 priority, though. As it should always be.

hey i don't think what i said was that bad.. i mean you're totally lying if you were to say otherwise.. I'll help people out but not at my own expense. it's not like i'll give up my own residency spot so that someone else can have it. i'll give people advice, and i won't screw them on purpose but if i know that by helping them i might endanger my future i simply won't answer their question or tell them i'll get back to them after i match or something like that.

besides you got to be competitive in medicine.

and that poster was being a smart ars and wanted me to do all his/her work.. and i have a strict no spoon feeding policy.

What if it's your patient that needs to be spoonfed?

you're not a patient. and you're not paying for my advice. when things are given pro boner i expect the person seaking advice to actually do some work on their own as well. especially since no one spoon feeds you in medical school or as resident or doctor. you should be used to figuring things out on your own by now.

That's even better.

In the case of the poster above, it's easy to slam others on the hierarchy of medical institutions, but it's a lot harder to back it up, rather than tell people to look it up.

I checked that forum, and I saw one post with some good and bad, now on like page nine. It boils down to borderline students having run into some problems later.

Shouldn't we be striving for being the best?

That's even better.

In the case of the poster above, it's easy to slam others on the hierarchy of medical institutions, but it's a lot harder to back it up, rather than tell people to look it up.

I checked that forum, and I saw one post with some good and bad, now on like page nine. It boils down to borderline students having run into some problems later.

If you dont want to read for hours on end about one-year-old threads, I would suggest beginning your own thread on valuemd at the Ross forum. Just present it simply: "I would like to know more about the advantages of attending Ross, instead of SGU."

I guarantee that you will have 100 replies by the end of the week by hard core students down there in dominica who love their program. Then you are free to ask them all of the challenging questions you may have rolling around in that head of yours.

If you need help coming up with questions, just bug RussianJoo...afterall he loves helping out!:laugh:

rlxdmd

That's even better.

As competitive as this year's Match was, and it will only get worse...

Borderline students from ALL schools will have problems. Unfortunately, more so for our USIMGs.

I was accepted to both SGU and Ross and now am in the process of making a decision. This is more difficult than I thought! Any suggestions?

this is easy go to sgu. they don't have any issues with their 3rd and 4th year rotations Ross does, major ones at that.

Thank you RussianJoo. After reading forum information as well as stats on both schools it seems that SGU is better and their students seem to be more satisfied than those at Ross. It seems I will be attending there unless I get accepted into one of the 3 I am waitlisted at in the US! It doesn't seem to be going in my favor at this point though. :(

Thank you RussianJoo. After reading forum information as well as stats on both schools it seems that SGU is better and their students seem to be more satisfied than those at Ross. It seems I will be attending there unless I get accepted into one of the 3 I am waitlisted at in the US! It doesn't seem to be going in my favor at this point though. :(

have you considered DO schools? I know you didn't ask about them but i feel that the trend is kind of leaning away from the caribbean and more towards US DO or MD students. just a thought..

good luck on getting into a US school it will definitely be 1000 times better than SGU. if you're really close you can try transferring to a US school either after your 1st year(pretty hard unless someone drops out) or definitely after your second year after you take the USMLE, on average about 5% of SGU students transfer successfully, i know of a few personally.

and lastly SGU isn't a bad school I don't know what will happen in 4 years when you'll be applying for residency but right now if you work hard and are at the top of the class you can get some great residencies. it's going to be an up hill battle but at least you won't have to worry about clinical rotations or not being able to practice in all 50 states like you would with some other carib schools.

good luck

marcirose,
if you don't mind my asking,
how old are you and how many times have you tried to get into US schools?
If you are in your 20's and this was only your first year to try for US schools and you are on 3 wait lists, it might be worthwhile to try again @US schools next year. In fact I think it WOULD be. I know it seems like too long to wait, but it would make your life easier later, b/c it will be easier to get the residency you want, and might cost you significantly less money than going to St. George. I know the 1 year wait seems like a long time, and I guess there are no guarantees of getting into a US school even next year, but if you are good enough to get wait listed @3 US schools they you must have a pretty good application.

marcirose,
if you don't mind my asking,
how old are you and how many times have you tried to get into US schools?
If you are in your 20's and this was only your first year to try for US schools and you are on 3 wait lists, it might be worthwhile to try again @US schools next year. In fact I think it WOULD be. I know it seems like too long to wait, but it would make your life easier later, b/c it will be easier to get the residency you want, and might cost you significantly less money than going to St. George. I know the 1 year wait seems like a long time, and I guess there are no guarantees of getting into a US school even next year, but if you are good enough to get wait listed @3 US schools they you must have a pretty good application.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: If I could go back, I would re-apply. :)

rlxdmd

And I'm sure SGU would take you in a year or so if still no success at US schools. It's your decision, of course, and I don't know your particular situation, but 3 wait lists at US schools isn't that bad. A lot of people don't get even 3 interviews. In your shoes, I'd be trying to pull any and all strings to get an acceptance from one of those 3 places...not sure what the odds are of getting off a wait list if you are on 3 of them, but I'd suspect not totally terrible. I'd be calling these places to see if there is anything you can do to influence them, tell them you are still interested. Get one of your LOR writers to call the admissions director, etc.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: If I could go back, I would re-apply. :)

rlxdmd

If you could go back, would you have gone to a DO school instead? I had the choice of attending SGU, but chose osteo (though may attend a US MD school if I get off the waitlist). I am just curious if others would have made the same choice or not.

Last edited:
i probably would go DO if i had to do it all over. i would definitely go DO if i were applying in 2009, the match is going to get fierce in 3 or 4 years.

If you could go back, would you have gone to a DO school instead? I had the choice of attending SGU, but chose osteo (though may attend a US MD school if I get off the waitlist). I am just curious if others would have made the same choice or not.

In retrospect I think I got nervous thinking about spending another year reapplying while working for a great non-profit organization. As it was, the war had begun and funding for such programs (education) was tight. Simply, my job wasn't a guarantee for one more year. With my toes in the waitlist pool at some programs, I said my good-byes and left. I never came off the waitlist, nor did I regret my decision to leave.

If there had been a financial safety net beneath me, I think I would have reapplied to all the MD programs and continued to use SGU as my backup.

To answer your question, I dont think I would have applied to DO school because I wasnt very well informed about the prospects. But NOW it seems to me to be a good option for a match in some solid specialties.

rlxdmd