Rotating internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabsaf123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI all,

I am an incoming DO student and I am also applying to the NHSC scholarship program. The pamphlet for the scholarship states that DOs are allowed to do a 1 year "rotating internship" which must then be followed by a primary care residency (FM, IM, psych). My question is what is a rotating internship and why is this not allowed for MDs? Is a rotating internship required for FM, IM, or psych,?

Is this the same as a preliminary year or transitional year?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. It's just the DO name for it.

It's not required for FM, IM, or Psych.

HI all,

I am an incoming DO student and I am also applying to the NHSC scholarship program. The pamphlet for the scholarship states that DOs are allowed to do a 1 year "rotating internship" which must then be followed by a primary care residency (FM, IM, psych). My question is what is a rotating internship and why is this not allowed for MDs? Is a rotating internship required for FM, IM, or psych,?

Is this the same as a preliminary year or transitional year?

Rotating internship is a year-long program where you do a little of everything, kind of like a FM intern year. But it isn't generally attached to a residency to continue with after the year is over.

The NHHSC program will allow it, mainly in the event you don't match into a primary care residency program right off the bat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Traditional Rotating Internship is the DO equivalent of a Transitional Year (available to MDs). In fact, DO TRIs are being converted to TYs during the SAS transition.

You don't need to do a TRI unless you're going for an advanced residency that starts in PGY2 (Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Radiology, etc.). There are states where the DO state boards require an AOA approved internship (PA, FL, MI, OK) in order to get a permanent license in those states. This requirement may change with the merger. The way around this requirement if you do an ACGME residency is to apply for Res 42 from the AOA for your intern year to be declared AOA equivalent.

Traditional Rotating Internship is the DO equivalent of a Transitional Year (available to MDs). In fact, DO TRIs are being converted to TYs during the SAS transition.

You don't need to do a TRI unless you're going for an advanced residency that starts in PGY2 (Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Radiology, etc.). There are states where the DO state boards require an AOA approved internship (PA, FL, MI, OK) in order to get a permanent license in those states. This requirement may change with the merger. The way around this requirement if you do an ACGME residency is to apply for Res 42 from the AOA for your intern year to be declared AOA equivalent.

So if you're going for an advanced residency do you interview independently for the residency and for the TRI/TY?

So if you're going for an advanced residency do you interview independently for the residency and for the TRI/TY?

It depends. Some advanced residencies are categorical with an attached internship. With those programs you don't have to worry about interviewing for internships. But some don't and only start from PGY2. It really varies program to program. Neurology is one field I recall with very few categorical programs, so people almost always have to do either a TRI/TY or Pre-lim medicine year separate from their residency.

It depends. Some advanced residencies are categorical with an attached internship. With those programs you don't have to worry about interviewing for internships. But some don't and only start from PGY2. It really varies program to program. Neurology is one field I recall with very few categorical programs, so people almost always have to do either a TRI/TY or Pre-lim medicine year separate from their residency.
Thanks! One last question. For the following four fields does one need a TRI/TY: FM, IM, PSYCH, EM?