Rotation at own institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragon529

MS-III
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone... MS 2 here.

We're beginning to select clerkship arrangements for our next 2 years and I'm wondering when is the best time to rotate through my own derm dept? Is it better to do it earlier (3rd yr?) or later (4th yr right before residency app?) Is there pros/cons in any of them?

Also, from what I've read in other people's past experiences. It seems that it is best to do medicine/primary care before surgery. Does this still hold true for derm applicants?

Thanks~ :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone... MS 2 here.

We're beginning to select clerkship arrangements for our next 2 years and I'm wondering when is the best time to rotate through my own derm dept? Is it better to do it earlier (3rd yr?) or later (4th yr right before residency app?) Is there pros/cons in any of them?

Also, from what I've read in other people's past experiences. It seems that it is best to do medicine/primary care before surgery. Does this still hold true for derm applicants?

Thanks~ :D

We usually recommend students interested in derm rotate through early as MS4's. It doesn't matter when you do internal medicine or general surgery, although we recommend you do both prior to a derm rotation.

agree with above, do it at the beginning of 4th year. if you're interested in derm, consider talking with someone in the department and expressing interest during your 3rd year.