Rotation/Clerkship Coordinators

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessMS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one else get attitude from some course/clerkship/rotation coordinators during 3rd and 4th year? You try to politely bring to their attention that there is something wrong on Canvas or whatever course platform you use without having to involve their faculty boss, but the mistake is not corrected despite email assurances. And when you have finally had enough and include the faculty in a last ditch effort email stating that the corrections have still not been made, finally it's corrected but not without a curt email from them. It should not take more than one email and CCing the faculty to have mistakes corrected. Or am I being too unreasonable?

Coordinators have a lot of power to determine which site you are assigned to for rotations and pissing them off means being assigned to sites a hour or more drive away.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, yes but they are also overworked and underappreciated.

I guess my first question is whether the things that are wrong actually matter? If it's a trivial oversight that makes no difference to you, then it may not be worth trying to correct.

Reactions: 1 users
It the due dates for assignments, quizzes, mid point evaluations, final evaluations, etc. Failure to do the assignments, quizzes, and turning in the proper evaluations by the due dates mean failing the rotation. So it's not trivial.

Members don't see this ad :)
My clerkship coordinator won't even email me back or answer her phone... Not sure how she has this job because communicating with her is impossible.

Sorry for the long post. But I feel like ranting.

Coordinator of current rotation continues to be defensive when valid/vital/nontrivial mistakes are brought up. For example, the initial email sent out providing information about the rotation had missing information e.g. we are required to attend lectures on two consecutive half days. The first day, we have lectures in the PM. The 2nd day we have lectures in the AM. The email says we are to return to our sites in the PM after the 2nd day AM lectures, but nothing is mentioned about whether we need to be at our sites in the AM on the 1st day before attending PM lectures. Failing to attend required lectures means getting an incomplete on our transcripts that can never be wiped off or worse failing the rotation for professionalism.

Because the coordinator decides to send all MS currently on the rotation an all-points bulletin email at 3:19 PM Friday telling us that some of our already submitted mid-rotation evaluation will not be accepted (deadline to submit is by midnight Friday night) without the attending putting something in the comments section instead of texting those whose evaluations they would not accept individually, due to being busy at my site, I am unable to see the email until 5:15PM when I am driving home and when the attending had already left for the weekend. Of course, my comments section is empty (which the original email about the rotation never mentioned needs to be filled out or it will be rejected), I had to jump through hoops to contact the attending and ask for their permission to allow me to write down their comments so that I can submit the eval in time.

Therefore, I sent an email to the coordinator with all the other MS cc'd asking them whether the 2nd day AM site attendance is required before the PM lectures. They responded only to me saying yes. I then suggested to them that they should send an email to all MS to inform them of this. Coordinator replies back with an, "Excuse me" and says other students have also sent emails inquiring about the same thing and that they replied to them individually. I responded that I meant no offense but that it's the responsible thing as the coordinator to send an email to all MS if there are questions about the same topic.

MS in the class below me told me of their experience with the same coordinator. Apparently, there was an assignment that was due for the clerkship that required MS to read an article and submit questions. The article could not be located and was not made available by the coordinator to the MS. Therefore, many MS missed the deadline to submit the assignment. Coordinator got defensive when it was brought to their attention that the article could not be located and was not provided.

My question to attendings with assistants. Behind the scenes, if your assistant is making mistakes after mistakes and gets defensive when their mistakes are brought to your attention, are you doing anything about it? Are you having a chat with the assistant or are you just washing your hands of the situation and don't want to deal with it? I don't know what is happening behind the scenes with this coordinator as I am cc'ing their faculty boss on every correspondence.

Sorry for the long post. But I feel like ranting.

Coordinator of current rotation continues to be defensive when valid/vital/nontrivial mistakes are brought up. For example, the initial email sent out providing information about the rotation had missing information e.g. we are required to attend lectures on two consecutive half days. The first day, we have lectures in the PM. The 2nd day we have lectures in the AM. The email says we are to return to our sites in the PM after the 2nd day AM lectures, but nothing is mentioned about whether we need to be at our sites in the AM on the 1st day before attending PM lectures. Failing to attend required lectures means getting an incomplete on our transcripts that can never be wiped off or worse failing the rotation for professionalism.

Because the coordinator decides to send all MS currently on the rotation an all-points bulletin email at 3:19 PM Friday telling us that some of our already submitted mid-rotation evaluation will not be accepted (deadline to submit is by midnight Friday night) without the attending putting something in the comments section instead of texting those whose evaluations they would not accept individually, due to being busy at my site, I am unable to see the email until 5:15PM when I am driving home and when the attending had already left for the weekend. Of course, my comments section is empty (which the original email about the rotation never mentioned needs to be filled out or it will be rejected), I had to jump through hoops to contact the attending and ask for their permission to allow me to write down their comments so that I can submit the eval in time.

Therefore, I sent an email to the coordinator with all the other MS cc'd asking them whether the 2nd day AM site attendance is required before the PM lectures. They responded only to me saying yes. I then suggested to them that they should send an email to all MS to inform them of this. Coordinator replies back with an, "Excuse me" and says other students have also sent emails inquiring about the same thing and that they replied to them individually. I responded that I meant no offense but that it's the responsible thing as the coordinator to send an email to all MS if there are questions about the same topic.

MS in the class below me told me of their experience with the same coordinator. Apparently, there was an assignment that was due for the clerkship that required MS to read an article and submit questions. The article could not be located and was not made available by the coordinator to the MS. Therefore, many MS missed the deadline to submit the assignment. Coordinator got defensive when it was brought to their attention that the article could not be located and was not provided.

My question to attendings with assistants. Behind the scenes, if your assistant is making mistakes after mistakes and gets defensive when their mistakes are brought to your attention, are you doing anything about it? Are you having a chat with the assistant or are you just washing your hands of the situation and don't want to deal with it? I don't know what is happening behind the scenes with this coordinator as I am cc'ing their faculty boss on every correspondence.
In academic settings the attendings may not have any control over ancillary staffing. My friends in academia frequently vent that their ancillary staff is... less than stellar, but the only person who has any control over that is essentially the chairman (if even that) who is often extremely far removed from the grunt work and clinical day to day stuff.

People who are less than motivated that you have zero control over will unfortunately be a normal occurrence in your training and career. It is rarely worth fighting them when they can negatively impact you. Will you substantiate change and make it better for the next person by staying silent? No. Will you substantiate change by making a lot of noise? If the answer is still no... well, probably would just move on and accept that some people suck. As you pointed out, it is not worth the negative consequences for something you can't change.

Yea, not sure that's the best advice to be honest.
Bosses don't like it when their employees are not performing especially when it's getting noticed by others. If complaint is legitimate and material, any boss with any skills will fix it.

Bosses don't like it when their employees are not performing especially when it's getting noticed by others. If complaint is legitimate and material, any boss with any skills will fix it.
And the opposite may be true and now the OP has bigger problems in that he or she ran to the "boss". The risk in going to the coordinators' boss far outweighs the benefit, all because the coordinator hasn't emailed or called the poster back. Maybe she's super busy.