Rotation in October or December

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

long

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an MPH rotation that I need to take in either October or December. They would prefer that I miss as little time as possible for interviews, so in the opinions of people who have been through the interview process, is it better to take this rotation in October when interviews start gearing up or December they start gearing down? In which month am I likely to be gone the most?

Members don't see this ad.

I had one interview in October, which I could have rescheduled for a later date. I had multiple interviews (~5?) in December of which I could not schedule earlier as they were only offered in December or would have had conflicts with other interviews. I'd probably schedule your requirement for Oct.

I have an MPH rotation that I need to take in either October or December. They would prefer that I miss as little time as possible for interviews, so in the opinions of people who have been through the interview process, is it better to take this rotation in October when interviews start gearing up or December they start gearing down? In which month am I likely to be gone the most?

Most interviews happen nov/dec. A few happen in Oct, but if you have to choose you want nov/dec free.

Members don't see this ad :)
would doing an ophtho away during parts of october be bad in terms of trying to impress while needing to check for interview invites?

would doing an ophtho away during parts of october be bad in terms of trying to impress while needing to check for interview invites?

I did an away in October and checked my phone compulsively when it buzzed. You can check without being obtrusive. Got around 7 interview invites during that rotation, at times had to step out to take a call or answer an email, and it was never an issue. In fact I got lots of "you get an interview?" and "congratulations." Don't be obtuse about it and it's fine. They've been there and they know it's kind of important.

You can also create a separate email account that you only share with SF match and go ahead and set a unique notification for that account. That way when you get that notification you will be sure as hell it was pertaining to interviews and you would not "waste" checking your phone for nothing. I personally did not use this technique but read it somewhere on these forums. I was very lucky, had last 2 weeks of october+Nov and Dec off so I got most of my invites while watching The Walking Dead.