Rotation order advice for returning MD/PhD

Started by gstrub
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gstrub

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am going to be returning to M3 this summer after 4 years in the lab. I have the benefit of selecting whichever rotation group I want. Most likely, I will be pursuing a surgical subspecialty. Out of the 12 groups, 6 have medicine before surgery, and out of those, 3 have what I am considering "easier" starting rotations considering I haven't taken a HPI in 4 years. One of those has surgery last, which I don't think will be the best choice. The remaining 2 are:

1. Psy-OB-IM-(Christmas)-IM-Surg-FM-Workshop week-Neur-Peds
2. OB-Psy-IM-(Christmas)-Peds-Surg-Workshop week-Surg-FM-Neuro

Note that the 1st group has IM immediately before surgery, and that the 2nd has both IM and peds before surgery as well as a break during the actual surgery rotation, which I hear is very beneficial. Any thoughts on these two options? Also keep in mind I can choose any group so if you have other advice that these 2 groups don't address I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
G
 
I like #2 better. let me try to get through my rationale (because part of it is gut, I apologize for that!)

I started on Ob... I assume you guys take a Shelf exam at the end of your clerkships? The Ob shelf, I thought, was a good starter to clinical medicine. Why? Because there's really only like 6 disease processes (no offense at all to future Obs!) There's pregnant versus not, too much/wrongly timed bleeding, and a few cancers (whose exact staging you do Not need to know).

Starting from the end, I like having Family as a sort of "wrap up" rotation. It's different than Medicine, more than I expected... but if you've already taken everything else (except Neuro), it should be kinda like a review. We don't take the FM shelf, we have an in-house test (which I've heard isn't uncommon), and so there'll definitely be more variability, but I think it's a sound strategy. Family could also make a good #1 rotation, as it's a little of everything and very laid-back (here anyway) so it's a good starting point to relearn your H&P skills, etc.

Having the break in Surg is probably nice, and having Xmas right after Medicine is also nice (I had this). I thought Medicine was just as/if not more exhausting as Surgery (unexpected), and probably some of that had to do with the way our IM clerkship is, and how much I dislike adult medicine 😉.

So having a break right after or in the middle of arguably the 2 most tiring rotations, seems like a nice set-up. I didn't have Surgery until the end of my third year, so it had been 5 full months since the End of IM... I didn't feel terribly affected in terms of Shelf performance (which as you may have heard, there's a lot of Medicine on the surg shelf), so I wouldn't put Too much weight into having those two back-to-back.

For what it's worth I skipped block 1 then did Ob-IM-Xmas-Peds-Psych/Neuro (we only do 2w Neuro/6 Psych)-Surgery-Family. I really liked my schedule overall. I also liked having Ob before Peds, because I liked the continuity aspect... like I could remember the TORCH infections because of checking moms' titers at the first prenatal visit, etc...
 
Yes, I am leaning towards that group. Also I didn't notice but that group breaks IM up as well, the 1st 8 weeks are before Christmas, then the last 2 are after. This group will likely be full of people interested in Surgery, so getting some of the smaller sub-specialty rotations may be more competitive, but who cares. I think I'd rather end with FM and neuro more-so than Peds. Thanks for the input.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't taken a HPI in 4 years.

I'd also go with option #2.

Psych is a fairly easy rotation, generally, but it won't help you transition back into 3rd year. You haven't taken an HPI in 4 years....and you still won't be comfortable taking an HPI after psych. Most of your patients will have severe dementia, be delirious, or severely schizophrenic, and can't give you a coherent sentence, much less remember what meds they're on.

Starting with OB is, I think, better. The problems that arise in OB tend to be fairly focused, but you still have chances to practice basic physical exam, rounding, SOAP notes, H&Ps, etc.

What are you interested in going into, by the way?
 
Did you do Step 1 yet? If not, I'd try to do IM first. If you're fresh off board studying, you'll be fresh for IM. I'd recommend surgery last- that way you'll have as much experience under your belt as possible.