rotations at UHS, DMU, and KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bokimbo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how the fourth year rotations work at each of these schools? Are students free to do rotations wherever they want for the whole fourth year? How many electives are allowed at each of the schools? How early in the fourth year can students start doing electives (because it's advantageous to do them before residency interviews start). It would really help if you could highlight the differences between the schools instead of the similarities. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

At DMU, I belive that you owe 4 weeks of FP, 4 weeks of Medicine Specialty service, 4 weeks of Surgical Specialty Selective, and the rest is any thing that you want to do, no particular order and you can choose any hospital or physican you want for your electives. I also think that you can do the 4 weeks of FP time your 4th year any time of the year that you want. What I really liked about DMU is that they pretty much let you choose where and what you want to do for the most of 4th year.

Hope this helps

There is also a Fourth Year Clerkship Dean -- DMU students will meet with the 4th year clerkship dean INDIVIDUALLY during the second half of the third year (or before), to discuss our future plans in order to incorporate that into scheduling our fourth year.

The third year clerkship Dean is currently meeting with us second years individually to talk about third year and also our future plans so that it can be noted in our file for future planning of the fourth year.

DMU has many positive changes that are already being implemented -- stay tuned.... so far, it's nothing but good things with our clinical affairs office....

At UHS you can do your 4th year anywhere you want, except for the core clinical rotations (of which I believe there are 2 or 3). You have to do your core clinical rotations at your designated core rotation site. Bear in mind that UHS has rotation sites all over the country so if geography is an issue, you might be where you want with your core site anyway.