Roth IRA or save for med school?

Started by Calliope99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Calliope99

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's the deal: I'm starting med school in the fall. I have about $12k in savings from working, and no debt. I have a Roth IRA that I maxed out for 2007 and 2008, but haven't made any contributions to for 2009. Tuition for school will cost a total of about $205,000. My parents are helping with my living expenses, but the tuition will be all loans. Should I put some of my savings into the Roth, since the market is down and I'd see significant growth over the next several decades? Or would that growth be completely negated by paying student loan interest (I plan to pay off my loans as quickly as I can - I hate owing money!) Advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The question as I see it is whether you anticipate a significantly greater return on your investments than 6.8%. If you look at the historical data for the past ~100 years in the US I believe the annual return is still somewhere around 9% (you'd have to look that up).

On the other hand it could be argued that the 20th century United States was somewhat unique and future returns might not be expected to match that performance.

If you expect a return around 6.8%, there still may be an advantage to maximizing the loan as it has certain benefits that probably won't matter - that it is discharged if you die, you might get some sort of forgiveness eventually through the income-based repayment program if your income gets really low due to disability, etc.

Nevertheless, if I were in your position I would invest it in the Roth IRA. How you choose to allocate it within the IRA is another matter, of course.
 
Thanks for the advice. It really helps to see someone put it in clear, mathematical terms, to separate myself emotionally from the decision. I guess my only real motivation for keeping my cash on-hand is for security and peace of mind, in case of some kind of emergency. Though if I recall correctly, I believe you're allowed to withdraw at least your original Roth contribution (not interest) without penalty, since it's after-tax dollars. I guess I'll see where I stand after paying all of my moving expenses, and try to contribute as much as I can from what's left. Thanks, lord_jeebus 🙂
 
The good thing about the Roth IRA, if I understand it correctly, after 5 years you can withdraw whatever amount you contributed (assuming your investments didn't nosedive to zero) without any penalties or taxes. So if you're worried about having cash on hand for emergencies, the Roth IRA gives you the best of both worlds: if you really need the money, you can withdraw it, and if you don't need the money, you have more tax-free retirement assets.
 
Which brings up another, related question - how much emergency fund should I have in med school? Since I won't be working, the standard "3-6 months of living expenses" doesn't apply. I can't imagine what kind of expense I could have that wouldn't be covered by either loans or insurance, so a couple grand to cover health and car insurance deductibles should be enough, in theory. Still, I'm a fairly risk-averse person, and that doesn't seem like enough for my own peace of mind. I guess it's been too long since I've been a poor, starving student 😕
 
I'm also beginning to think in terms of my quality of life, in the short-term. Over the course of my life, the $5000 I'm debating about putting away here is a pretty tiny fraction of my total lifetime earnings. While I'm in school, that cash would mean quite a bit in terms of my comfort - not subsisting on ramen noodles, being slightly less stingy with the heat in the winter, plane tickets home for Christmas, etc. Earning 8% over the next 45 years, it would be almost $160,000. Is $160k when I'm old and probably pretty well off worth more to me than $5k when I'm in school and stressed out and hungry and freezing? Maybe that's the more pertinent question.
 
good points here - there's definite merit to having an emergency stash for "just in case" med school things -- I've heard one can bump up loan amounts, presumably grad plus, for unexpected, expensive things like a major car repair, but I personally would not want to have to try to convince the financial aid office of the merit of my proposed expenditure on an emergency thing -- they might disagree with me on the meaning of a necessary emergency expense.

Another way to look at this, rather than 5K now versus 160K in 45 years, is to think of it in terms of putting aside 5K now when you're on ramen, versus putting aside 10.8K in 10 years when you're earning 200K.. or better yet, putting aside around an extra $3,800 per year for 3 years when you're earning 200K per year..

Final thought on the "risk return" idea -- the stock market may have earned 9% or whatever rate on average over the past 6-8 decades, but it has high variability -- this matters hugely in that if you retired 3 years ago and are pulling out $$ now, you're in really bad shape. A more precise comparison would be measuring your student loan debt @ 6.8% to the "risk-free" rate; this would allow you to compare essentially certain debt to a certain return -- what's the current rate of return on money markets, FDIC insured deposits, or other essentially guaranteed financial vehicles?

My suggestion would be to hold the Roth IRA as an emergency fund until around January of MS4, and then plan to use it for tuition that semester.
 
My suggestion would be to hold the Roth IRA as an emergency fund until around January of MS4, and then plan to use it for tuition that semester.

That's an interesting idea. I hadn't considered an intentional, non-emergency early withdrawal as a possibility. I had always thought of a Roth as a buy-and-hold vehicle, though you're right, there's no telling what the market is going to do over the next several decades. Domestically, I don't necessarily see these historic returns happening again, but I'm pretty heavily invested in emerging markets. I really wish I could get a good ballpark figure of how much I'm going to need when I retire. I could be doing all of this careful saving, and then get hit by a bus when I'm 35.

I think for now I'm going to hold off on making the contribution. Like one of the previous posters said, I have until April of next year, so I guess I'll see where I stand as far as savings and school expenses. Hopefully after my first year I'll have a better idea of the minimum amount of cash I'll need in the bank so I can sleep soundly at night. Thank you very much for all of your advice, everybody.
 
Calliope99, youre saying exactly whats going through my head. Too much information out there for "traditional" lives...not enough tried and true information for students like us.

I try to live in balance, and I suppose that is what Im suggesting here. I would keep a $2,000 emergency fund (since rebuilding any money you take from it will be difficult) and any additional money you have leftover place in another savings fund. At the end of the year see where you are at and deposit however much you feel comfortable with into the Roth. I think youre correct in using the Roth as a retirement tool and not a short-term savings account.

Personally Im married and things are a little up in the air with my husband's finances (hes graduating with his MBA soon so his income may rise signicantly). But heres my personal strategy:
1. Borrow the total cost of attendence limit and no more
2. Decrease expenses as much as possible
3. Keep any additional money in savings and use it to pay down the student loans at the end of school
4. Dont overdo your savings plan. Live comfortably, but not to excess.

If youre thrifty by nature and plan on paying loans quickly after school, you really are ahead of the game. Focus on school.