Roth IRA-waiting a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pomacentridae

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am a current intern who recently applied for and obtained an own occupation disability insurance plan through a financial advisor who works at my residency program exclusively with physicians. There is an option for beginning a Roth IRA account as well and I had wanted to start on that as soon as possible. However, this financial advisor has repeatedly dissuaded me from applying for the Roth IRA until I am a second year resident. His reasoning is that as I still have less than 5 figures in my bank account, I am better off waiting to start a Roth IRA account until second year when I will have a more comfortable balance saved. Does this make sense? Is there any disadvantage to doing this? Thanks in advance.
 
A Roth IRA is use-it or lose-it in a sense. You can contribute up to $5500 per tax year (you have until about April to make the contribution). If you don't contribute, you're not able to make a catch-up contribution for the years you missed. In theory you can contribute this year, and then the next 2-3 years (depends how long your residency is, as when you become an attending you may make too much to be eligible to contribute to a Roth IRA). So the main disadvantage of not contributing now is you lose out on contributing $5500 to your Roth IRA.

If you have the money it makes sense to contribute now. Roth contributions are post-tax, so you get the most bang for your buck when you are hardly paying any taxes (such as your first half-year of internship when the odds are you'll get the much of your witholdings back, as you only have half a year's worth of income which that puts you in a lower tax bracket)

I'm not quite sure though what you mean by "option for beginning a Roth IRA account" or "applying" for the Roth. I just signed up with Vanguard--I don't recall any application for it other than filling out my info, and it's an individual retirement account so we all have the option to do it. Maybe there was a credit check, but I don't remember.

Here's another argument to contribute now: you can always withdraw the money (referring specifically to Roth IRAs, not the traditional ones). Now, it takes a little time, so you don't want to make your Roth your emergency fund that you might need immediate access to (you should have a few thousand in savings at least, ideally), but you can at any time withdraw up to the amount you contributed penalty-free. If you withdraw more than your contributions (this would assume your portfolio made money) then you would pay penalties on that, UNLESS you are withdrawing for a few specific reasons, like buying your "first" home (loose definition) or medical expenses, among others.

I don't personally see any reason to have 5 figures in savings first--I started a Roth with closer to $5k in savings, but I guess it depends on your comfort level. Also, if you have kids or a non-working spouse, that certainly changes things. If you can afford it, I don't see any reason to not max out your Roth every year. If you're married, don't forget the spousal IRA. And obviously if you're not on REPAYE, make sure you sign up for that before you start making retirement contributions. Doing so gives me credit towards PSLF (if it sticks around...), gets me the $2500 student loan interest deduction, and effectively halves my interest rate (almost--not quite) with the interest subsidy, so that it actually makes financial sense to put money in the Roth. (I think it's also good just to be in the habit of contributing something to your retirement account, so I'd still contribute a bit anyway even if my rates were higher).

Hopefully someone else will chime in if they disagree--I'm still new to some of the retirement stuff. But as a general rule, educate yourself and don't rely on a financial planner (read whitecoatinvestor.com, boggleheads forums, etc.). I wish I'd educated myself better as an intern. If I had, I'd have saved more, and maxed out my IRA each year. I didn't start until later in residency.

Now, before you contribute to a Roth IRA, make sure that you first max out your employer contribution for a 401k (if offered). If your employer offers a match and you don't take advantage of it, you're leaving part of your salary on the table.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it. My program unfortunately does not offer a 401k. If I were to sign up with Vanguard for the Roth IRA this year, I would not be able to put in the full 5500 right now but I suppose I might be able to do so by April. Should I just wait until I have enough money to contribute 5500? Do you just contribute it as a lump sum by April? I was under the impression that you agree to put in a certain amount into the Roth IRA every month..

It depends entirely on the way you set up your account. I started the first full calendar year of my intern year, and started my account with $1000, then continued to contribute $450 per month, but the following year, I was still like $300 short for the first year. I contributed that in a lump sum and continued my monthly withdrawals. But it's just as easy to contribute a large lump sum all at once.

Practically speaking, it's easier to take the money out every paycheck, because then you don't miss it and you're making steady contributions that helps blunt the up and down of the stock market--if you buy during low time, you get more shares, and if you buy during a high time, you get fewer shares, but overall, you'll make gains--rather than just buying all shares at once and trying to game the market for the best price.
 
Even with the new fiduciary rule, a financial advisor may still not completely give you what's best for you. Meaning, whatever company he represents may have limited fund choices or expensive funds. I'd Do-It-Yourself and open one with Vanguard or Fidelity (or Schwab or eTrade).

It's possible to work towards both goals at the same time: building up your cash savings as well as your Roth IRA. And heck, there's wiggle room: You have until tax day the following year to contribute to an IRA. So you can still build up your 2016 Roth IRA up through April 17, 2017.