Round plastic rings on sutures boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently given a gore brand suture board that had metal pegs sticking out of 2 adjacent corners. In each of these corners was a clear plastic ring attached to the pegs via a rubber band.

Does anyone have any idea what the purpose of these are or what skill they are supposed to simulate? I've done some searching on the web and haven't had any luck finding an answer...

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently given a gore brand suture board that had metal pegs sticking out of 2 adjacent corners. In each of these corners was a clear plastic ring attached to the pegs via a rubber band.

Does anyone have any idea what the purpose of these are or what skill they are supposed to simulate? I've done some searching on the web and haven't had any luck finding an answer...
The two rings are for practicing holding enough tension while throwing the next tie to keep from throwing an air knot.

Reactions: 1 users
The two rings are for practicing holding enough tension while throwing the next tie to keep from throwing an air knot.
Thank you for the response!

So... just to clarify how to use them: after my first throw, I am supposed to pull up with my post hand so that I get some resistance on the rubber band before my 2nd throw?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool. Below is a pic of the board:
View attachment 237985

Just realized that I was probably supposed to be putting the suture through both rings and pulling them together, like in the pic below?
View attachment 237986

I guess it's just a harder version of tying the 2 rubber tubes on the board together (see next pic)?
View attachment 237987

EDIT: Hmm, for some reason, when I click the thumbnails, it doesn't show the full pics unless I use my mobile phone
Ah...not the same board I was familiar with.

I could see that being help to learn how to tie two things together (like bowel).

Reactions: 1 user