Routine VTE prophylaxis in medical patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Interesting article, I don't think it will change how my institution practices much, i rarely see the use of mechanical prophylaxis, and its our job to make sure everyone is getting their lmwh. As far as stroke patients, its been a toss up but I think changes will be made down the road regarding this issue; it seems like it takes forever to change a policy around here.
 
Its hard to say whether it will have any effect. It seems a lot of the doctors still believe in mechanical prophy for a lot of patients. Anecdotal experiences seem to affect rationale at times.

We don't see a ton of stroke patients as we have two stroke centers in the area. A lot of our surgical patients are all ready on some sort of LMWH. And then the renal patients usually get their heparin.

But I am really uncertain how much has changed from other guidelines, it seems if they are at risk, they should be on anticoagulation. I don't know how much thats really different. Now stratifying risk is something that really should be researched or design. People like when they can put a risk score of some sort together to help them decide. I'm afraid that its a case of out of sight/out of mind. Providers don't think about it because they might fit what are traditionally "At risk" patients (cancer, past history, surgical, etc.)