Routine VTE prophylaxis in medical patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hospital pharmacists - do your sites have routine VTE prophylaxis protocols? Do you think this will change how your sites practice?

http://www.annals.org/content/155/9/625.long

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting article, I don't think it will change how my institution practices much, i rarely see the use of mechanical prophylaxis, and its our job to make sure everyone is getting their lmwh. As far as stroke patients, its been a toss up but I think changes will be made down the road regarding this issue; it seems like it takes forever to change a policy around here.

Its hard to say whether it will have any effect. It seems a lot of the doctors still believe in mechanical prophy for a lot of patients. Anecdotal experiences seem to affect rationale at times.

We don't see a ton of stroke patients as we have two stroke centers in the area. A lot of our surgical patients are all ready on some sort of LMWH. And then the renal patients usually get their heparin.

But I am really uncertain how much has changed from other guidelines, it seems if they are at risk, they should be on anticoagulation. I don't know how much thats really different. Now stratifying risk is something that really should be researched or design. People like when they can put a risk score of some sort together to help them decide. I'm afraid that its a case of out of sight/out of mind. Providers don't think about it because they might fit what are traditionally "At risk" patients (cancer, past history, surgical, etc.)