Rowan Masters of Biomedical Sciences vs PCOM Masters of Biomedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepod2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any insight to either program? i know pcom's biomed program is more well known, but im a NJ resident which means tuition would be cheaper at rowan. i would appreciate anybody's thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have any insight to either program? i know pcom's biomed program is more well known, but im a NJ resident which means tuition would be cheaper at rowan. i would appreciate anybody's thoughts

I don't know about PCOM, but my sister did the Rowan GSBS program. She LOVED it. I went to a DO school straight out of college, but she needed the Masters/GPA boost. She worked hard but she wasn't stressed, said that her professors and said her classmates were amazing. She never wanted to go to a DO school but after a few months was was like "I'd never go to a DO school...but I'd go to RowanSOM." She was accepted to UCONN, NYMC and Drexel, and she'll be starting at Drexel this summer. Interestingly she was not accepted at Rowan but they did interview her. As far as I could tell from her, Rowan is a solid program.

Reactions: 1 user
Does either program have some guaranteed interview or preferred app status at the respective COM?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about PCOM, but my sister did the Rowan GSBS program. She LOVED it. I went to a DO school straight out of college, but she needed the Masters/GPA boost. She worked hard but she wasn't stressed, said that her professors and said her classmates were amazing. She never wanted to go to a DO school but after a few months was was like "I'd never go to a DO school...but I'd go to RowanSOM." She was accepted to UCONN, NYMC and Drexel, and she'll be starting at Drexel this summer. Interestingly she was not accepted at Rowan but they did interview her. As far as I could tell from her, Rowan is a solid program.
congrats to her!! did she spend 2 years at the program or one? also, would you mind sharing her gpa for the program that got her accepted to all those great schools? thanks for the insight!

Does either program have some guaranteed interview or preferred app status at the respective COM?

from what i know, they both have preferred app status. i think pcom has a guaranteed interview if you have a 3.0 or higher gpa.

congrats to her!! did she spend 2 years at the program or one? also, would you mind sharing her gpa for the program that got her accepted to all those great schools? thanks for the insight!

She did 1.5 years. She had a 2.9 undergrad GPA and a 512 MCAT. Her graduate GPA from Rowan was a 4.0 and she had letters from their med school professors (who teach GSBS).

Be warned though, going to rowan GSBS does NOT help you get into SOM. From what she said, they're more likely to interview you but less likely to accept you. Idk if it's true but it's apparently something that GSBS kids say.

She did 1.5 years. She had a 2.9 undergrad GPA and a 512 MCAT. Her graduate GPA from Rowan was a 4.0 and she had letters from their med school professors (who teach GSBS).

Be warned though, going to rowan GSBS does NOT help you get into SOM. From what she said, they're more likely to interview you but less likely to accept you. Idk if it's true but it's apparently something that GSBS kids say.
hmm..that doesn't make too much sense that it doesn't help matriculate to Rowan's SOM but it would for other med schools, including allopathic schools. however I still appreciate the input. good luck to you and your sister on your journeys to become doctors

hmm..that doesn't make too much sense that it doesn't help matriculate to Rowan's SOM but it would for other med schools, including allopathic schools. however I still appreciate the input. good luck to you and your sister on your journeys to become doctors

If that statement is true, then this is a garbage program. Look elsewhere. Plenty of other programs that offer the same coursework with linkage available.

If that statement is true, then this is a garbage program. Look elsewhere. Plenty of other programs that offer the same coursework with linkage available.

do you think pcom would be the better option despite higher tuition since im out of state? approximately 50% of their students enter medical school after first year of the program, and half of them matriculate at pcom, as told to me by an admissions member. that sounds promising

That's entirely untrue. The vast majority of medical-school associated masters programs offer no linkage (I'm assuming by "linkage" you mean guaranteed acceptance). There are very, very few medical schools that offer guaranteed admission for masters students who meet a requirement (I believe its maybe a handful of osteopathic schools and zero MD schools). There are many that offer a "guaranteed interview" for a certain level of performance, but this means absolutely nothing, and barely gives you a better chance at matriculating. If I had a dollar for everyone I knew who got straight As and a high MCAT in a "guaranteed interview" school, and still didn't get in, I wouldn't need to take out loans.

The schools that offer guaranteed admission are pretty much all SMPs, which means you need to get straight As in a medical school schedule (which is a feat most MEDICAL students can't achieve, much less per-meds who need time to hone their study skills). Linkage is great, but it's a super high-risk, high-reward process, and I'm not one to bet my entire future on black. I STRONGLY suggest MBS/MS programs over SMPs. You won't get linkage, but you will have a better chance of actually getting into medical school.

There are a lot of ways to judge a masters program, but from my experience, the availability of guaranteed admission should really not be a major factor.

That's entirely untrue. The vast majority of medical-school associated masters programs offer no linkage (I'm assuming by "linkage" you mean guaranteed acceptance). There are very, very few medical schools that offer guaranteed admission for masters students who meet a requirement (I believe its maybe a handful of osteopathic schools and zero MD schools). There are many that offer a "guaranteed interview" for a certain level of performance, but this means absolutely nothing, and barely gives you a better chance at matriculating. If I had a dollar for everyone I knew who got straight As and a high MCAT in a "guaranteed interview" school, and still didn't get in, I wouldn't need to take out loans.

The schools that offer guaranteed admission are pretty much all SMPs, which means you need to get straight As in a medical school schedule (which is a feat most MEDICAL students can't achieve, much less per-meds who need time to hone their study skills). Linkage is great, but it's a super high-risk, high-reward process, and I'm not one to bet my entire future on black. I STRONGLY suggest MBS/MS programs over SMPs. You won't get linkage, but you will have a better chance of actually getting into medical school.

There are a lot of ways to judge a masters program, but from my experience, the availability of guaranteed admission should really not be a major factor.
How could getting an interview mean "barely nothing" ?. I figure once you get to the interview stage, you would have a 50/50 shot of getting into the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
How could getting an interview mean "barely nothing" ?. I figure once you get to the interview stage, you would have a 50/50 shot of getting into the school.

In some schools, maybe. But in many schools, you got that interview not because the adcoms were interested in your application, but because they were contractually obligated to interview you.

My larger point is that you shouldn't use lack of linkage to exclude a program. You should do the masters that gives you the best chance of getting into A medical school, not that one that gets you into the school you want to go to.

By linkage I definitely meant guaranteed interview. I know guaranteed acceptance is incredibly rare. I find it stupid that someone who went to a DO SMP ended up admitted to an MD school but was not even selected to interview at the darn school he or she Aced the SMP at. An interview is absolutely critical, considering you can't get admitted without one.

By linkage I definitely meant guaranteed interview. I know guaranteed acceptance is incredibly rare. I find it stupid that someone who went to a DO SMP ended up admitted to an MD school but was not even selected to interview at the darn school he or she Aced the SMP at. An interview is absolutely critical, considering you can't get admitted without one.

Rowan isn't an SMP. I think it's a normal MS or MBS. And just because you get accepted to MD schools doesn't mean you have your pick of the DOs. I know lots of people who were rejected from DOs and got USMD acceptances.

Also, my DO school is FILLED with people who aced their masters/SMPs and didn't get admitted to that school.

Places like Georgetown, BU, Drexel, etc all have great masters programs. Lots of people do well, and lots of people get into great medical schools. Most of those people, however, don't end up getting into Georgetown, BU, and Drexel.

Last edited:
Rowan isn't an SMP. I think it's a normal MS or MBS. And just because you get accepted to MD schools doesn't mean you have your pick of the DOs. I know lots of people who were rejected from DOs and got USMD acceptances.

Also, my DO school is FILLED with people who aced their masters/SMPs and didn't get admitted to that school.

Places like Georgetown, BU, Drexel, etc all have great masters programs. Lots of people do well, and lots of people get into great medical schools. Most of those people, however, don't end up getting into Georgetown, BU, and Drexel.

You know a lot of people I'm sure . Any evidence you provide is anecdotal at best. If one gets into MD than you should be fine for DO. Providing info stating otherwise is misleading.

"More likely to interview you, less likely to accept you "

thank you for your insight. rowan's program is actually MBS. and they just initiated a new policy this year: any student who achieves a 3.6 gpa over the first 18 credits with a 500 mcat gets an interview.

You know a lot of people I'm sure . Any evidence you provide is anecdotal at best. If one gets into MD than you should be fine for DO. Providing info stating otherwise is misleading.

"More likely to interview you, less likely to accept you "

"if one gets into MD, you should be fine for DO."

This is true but I you're taking it out of context.

If you get into one or more USMD schools, if means that yeah, you will probably get into a few DO schools. It means your chances of GENERAL acceptance increases.

It does NOT mean that you will get into the DO school of your choice. An MD acceptance, even multiple ones, does not mean that you will get into the DO school you want to go to. Even a guy who gets into Harvard or Hopkins will not be admitted to every DO school he applies to, but he may get into most of them.

For example, A person with a 3.5 gpa and a 30 mcat has an 85% chance of being accepted to one DO school. Hell, he probably has a 50% chance of being accepted at, say, 5 DO schools. However, the chances that this person gets into, say, CCOM? Much smaller.

See what I mean?

This is weird...maybe it has changed now looking at their website. 92% move on to Rowan SOM

How does this compare to Rowan's Post Bacc? Strangely with the postbacc there's a linkage to the Cooper Medical School and PCOM but not their Osteopathic program.

Hello all! Sorry to intrude. Im going into the MBS program at Rowan starting in the spring, if anyone is subletting their apartment, needs a roommate or has an open space (females only plz) reach out to me!!!!

Hello all! Sorry to intrude. Im going into the MBS program at Rowan starting in the spring, if anyone is subletting their apartment, needs a roommate or has an open space (females only plz) reach out to me!!!!
Hey! I applied to this program over 2 weeks ago...when did you apply and find out you got accepted?
I am out of state so if things work out I might be looking for a roommate as well

Did your sister completely finish the program in 1.5 years or did she decide not to continue once she got her acceptances?