Royal Melbourne/Western vs Alfred for International Elective Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoHotRightNow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm a US medical student looking to do an elective rotation in Melbourne. Does anyone have info on the surgery rotation at these two Hospitals? What is the typical day like? What are the differences between the two hospitals? Any personal experiences on the surgery rotation or any other rotations at either hospital...?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all.

I'm a US medical student looking to do an elective rotation in Melbourne. Does anyone have info on the surgery rotation at these two Hospitals? What is the typical day like? What are the differences between the two hospitals? Any personal experiences on the surgery rotation or any other rotations at either hospital...?

Thanks.

What sort of surgery were you looking at?

Royal Melbourne and the Alfred are pretty similar hospitals, Alfred has a notable trauma unit (which I had a rotation on) but compared to US trauma centres it would seem pretty week (very little penetrating trauma, mostly car accidents that go to ortho, neurosurg and max/facs for op time and trauma just babysits them on the ward).

RMH is Melbourne Uni's flagship and Alfred is Monash Uni's so the atmosphere is probably a little different, but both are pretty 'academic' hospitals.

Thanks for the reply...Im looking at orthopaedic surgery...any more input based on that?

Also, what should I plan on hours/week wise...? I've heard many stories of rotations being pretty laid back but I assume it depends on what service you rotate on. I have family in town that I don't get to see very often so it would be nice to spend some time with them while im in town...I guess I just want to know if I should expect to be busting my balls for the 4 weeks and prep the fam to not count on seeing me that much...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply...Im looking at orthopaedic surgery...any more input based on that?

Also, what should I plan on hours/week wise...? I've heard many stories of rotations being pretty laid back but I assume it depends on what service you rotate on. I have family in town that I don't get to see very often so it would be nice to spend some time with them while im in town...I guess I just want to know if I should expect to be busting my balls for the 4 weeks and prep the fam to not count on seeing me that much...

Not sure about how strict they are for electives, but I did the RMH ortho rotation as a resident.... busy - 7am starts, quite often finish at 6pm.... ig orthopaedic unit.

Hi SHRN,

I worked at RMH for a couple of years. I have only done the medical rotations, but I know that the surgery rotations are generally very busy, with around 60 hours per week rostered on average. However, this is only really for the graduated medical staff (doctors), and I suspect that the student electives are far more flexible. RMH has a excellent (and intense) neurosurgery unit. The ortho unit is very busy and the wards can be a bit of a ghost town. If you stay in theatre I suspect you would see a lot of interesting stuff. I haven't seen elective students being used as substitutes for interns/residents so you should be able to catch up with your family when you like. Alfred is possibly better for trauma/transplant but I have not worked there.

Good luck,

JT.

I have worked at the Royal Melbourne as well. The Royal Melbourne and Alfred Hospitals are the only two dedicated trauma hospitals for the State of Victoria (Pop approx 4 million). They currently share about 50% of the trauma load. Australian trauma is mostly road trauma, though. Penetrating injuries are rather rare. The Alfred trauma unit is probably considered more 'famous' although I think the reality may be that the Royal Melbourne Unit is slightly better organised and you're more likely to get teaching. I have worked on several surgical units at the Royal Melbourne. The neurosurgery unit is certainly excellent and I gather that some of the consultants there are well recognised internationally. They are both centrally located hospitals with easy acess by public transport so it's really no big deal which you choose.

RMH ortho - large unit (usual inpatient list ~50-60), a lot of interesting pathology. A large amount of trauma compared to previous units ive worked in. No formal education programme for elective students (although you're free to go to the non-ortho general teaching sessions for residents which are generally quite good). Students can come and go as they please (which is a good and bad thing for a student).