Rules of the Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Pill Counter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, if you enter the match, and end up matching at a program, are you legally obliged to go to that hospital, or can you opt out all together and not do a residency in the States?
I'm asking because I don't know where I'll want to end up, and may try for Canada at the same time. Is this a possibility?
Can you get your ECFMG certificate permanently validated if your internship year is in Canada?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone else will probably know more about this than I do, but as far as I know, the Canadian match takes place something like a week earlier than the US match. One is free to enter both matches, however, if one matches in the Canadian match, he/she is dropped from the US match. If one is unsuccessful in the Canadian match (a real possibility due to the more limited number of slots in Canada), one simple continues in the US match as if the Canadian one had never been entered. Like I said, though--someone else is bound to know more about this than I. Any volunteers?

you may look in www.carms.ca to find out which provinces will accept IMGs. Most provinces only accept Canadian citizens and legal immigrants. You should check with them first.

Being in Australia, I'd enter the 2nd iteration of the CaRMS match (not Ontario) which I assume is after the American match. I'd like to return to Canada, but I guess I need to hedge my bet and try for the States at the same time. So if I enter the American match, get matched, could I still try for the CaRMS match and drop out of the American match after matching in the States?