Rumors about Drexel Ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solittletime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard rumors that Drexel's ophtho program is not dong well and even that it might shut down. Can anyone shed some light on this? I would really appreciate it, since my interview with Drexel conflicts with SUNY upstate-Syracuse and St. Vincent in New York.

Members don't see this ad.

solittletime said:
I have heard rumors that Drexel's ophtho program is not dong well and even that it might shut down. Can anyone shed some light on this? I would really appreciate it, since my interview with Drexel conflicts with SUNY upstate-Syracuse and St. Vincent in New York.

I interviewed there last year. I got the impression from the residents that Dr. Yanoff is not only the chairman, but the only remaining full-time faculty member at the program. The residency director who interviewed me last year had quit and was departing a week later.

I dont have enough info to compare to SUNY and St. Vincents.

eyedr said:
I got the impression from the residents that Dr. Yanoff is not only the chairman, but the only remaining full-time faculty member at the program. .

I heard that someone called the department and Dr. Yanoff, himself, answered the phone. He may be wearing more hats than one! :D (Dr. Yanoff, if you are reading this don't get offended...I thought one of your books was good so I bought it.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, when I interviewed there this week, I asked one of the other faculty members if Dr. Yanoff had any plans to leave or retire soon. She said that he was actually given the opportunity to leave this year, and that he was pretty insistent that he was staying. He does not have any plans to leave soon, and appears to be a pretty strong advocate for the residency program. Also the program is definately not folding. There were just some politics with restructuring the association between the Ophthalmology dept and Drexel University. But they were just accredited for a few years by the ACGME.

Yes, I will back up what visioncam said about someone calling the department and Dr. Yanoff answering. I talked to the nice gentleman, who was the caller, on the interview trail. Visioncam, have we met, perhaps at an interview in NY?

Happy end-of-ophtho-interviews, everyone!

Visioncam said:
I heard that someone called the department and Dr. Yanoff, himself, answered the phone. He may be wearing more hats than one! :D (Dr. Yanoff, if you are reading this don't get offended...I thought one of your books was good so I bought it.)