Rumors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molldoll2010dpm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was at my interview last October, someone told me that there had been discussion of making Podiatry part of the MD/DO fields. Can anyone explain more on that?

Members don't see this ad.

molldoll2010dpm said:
When I was at my interview last October, someone told me that there had been discussion of making Podiatry part of the MD/DO fields. Can anyone explain more on that?
Don't listen to Rumors, they give you a headache.

There has been much debate over the issue, but it is not a realistic option. I think that the future is integrating all DPM programs w/ MD/DO programs. The first year and 1/2 would be the same course load as MD/DO programs. This would give us a strong basic science foundation and will also increase MD/DO students knowledge of the importance of DPMs.

Currently, this is occurring at CPMS and AZPOD only.

molldoll2010dpm said:

The plan is to eventually make all DPM programs part of MD/DO programs, since we in essence study the same basic sciences.

This rumor that you have heard is based part in truth as several years ago, there was discussion between the APMA and AMA about making DPM's into MD's and doing away with the podiatry schools. The AMA wanted to make podiatry a sub-specialty of orthopaedics. However, much like the DO's in the 1970's, the DPM's rejected the offer and wanted to maintain their autonomy. Whether this is good or bad, its what happened.