Rural area salaries

Started by redtegu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redtegu

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(My apologies in advance for another salary-related thread.)

I am curious about PT salaries in rural areas. I have seen high salaries for places like the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and parts of Mississippi. I have also read that reimbursement rates are lower in rural areas than in cities. How does this all work?

I would expect that some (or many) PTs would want to work in these areas solely because of the high salaries advertised ($100K-$120K at least) and not care too much about being in the middle of nowhere, but I don't know how companies manage to pay so much higher than what the big cities offer.

Are there really so few PTs willing to work in these places that companies can offer these high salaries?
 
(My apologies in advance for another salary-related thread.)

I am curious about PT salaries in rural areas. I have seen high salaries for places like the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and parts of Mississippi. I have also read that reimbursement rates are lower in rural areas than in cities. How does this all work?

I would expect that some (or many) PTs would want to work in these areas solely because of the high salaries advertised ($100K-$120K at least) and not care too much about being in the middle of nowhere, but I don't know how companies manage to pay so much higher than what the big cities offer.

Are there really so few PTs willing to work in these places that companies can offer these high salaries?

Yes! I was a tech for 6 months down in the Edinburg/McAllen area and they paid PTs, OTs, STs, GREAT $$$ to work! I know several home health companies who offered a $90,000 salaray with a $50,000 sign on Bonus! Of course that bonus is spread over a 5 year period, but still! I talked with one of the 3rd years here in my program and her and her fiance just got job offers down there making $72/hr! The hospital I worked at payed their PRN workers $75/hr! The money is down there, but before you run down there PLEASE learn some spanish because it will be necessary!
 
Thanks for your response! I am glad someone could confirm all the numbers I had heard. I don't know where I will end up but since I plan to stay in Texas for at least a while after graduation, brushing up on my Spanish would not be a bad idea!

Yes! I was a tech for 6 months down in the Edinburg/McAllen area and they paid PTs, OTs, STs, GREAT $$$ to work! I know several home health companies who offered a $90,000 salaray with a $50,000 sign on Bonus! Of course that bonus is spread over a 5 year period, but still! I talked with one of the 3rd years here in my program and her and her fiance just got job offers down there making $72/hr! The hospital I worked at payed their PRN workers $75/hr! The money is down there, but before you run down there PLEASE learn some spanish because it will be necessary!
 
That is crazy cool! I have been told starting new grad PTs can expect around $40 per hour to start off, that is a very good starting salary to me! Are these salaries working for private practices or hospitals?