trying not to kill anyone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
hiding from a code
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey all,

I'm not sure if this thread would be better placed in the "rural medicine" forum, but I don't think it would get good exposure there. Does anyone know in general what city size you need to support a pediatrician? For general peds, what is the ideal population to pediatrician ratio. I'm sure the AAP has the numbers, but I don't know them. Thanks

Stitch

Jedi Ninja Wizard
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2002
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I can't answer what is an optimal ratio, but there's definitely a huge need for rural pediatricians. A few people in my class recently signed on with a couple of rural offices and are being very well compensated in terms of starting salary, signing bonus and even some loan repayments. If you can find a community you like, I doubt anywhere is too small, and you'd be greatly appreciated.

OP
iatrosB

iatrosB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
hiding from a code
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I can't answer what is an optimal ratio, but there's definitely a huge need for rural pediatricians. A few people in my class recently signed on with a couple of rural offices and are being very well compensated in terms of starting salary, signing bonus and even some loan repayments. If you can find a community you like, I doubt anywhere is too small, and you'd be greatly appreciated.
Awesome...thanks for the input! Do you know the smallest community they are going to? I'm just not sure if a <3,000 member town can support a pediatrician.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Awesome...thanks for the input! Do you know the smallest community they are going to? I'm just not sure if a <3,000 member town can support a pediatrician.
pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/107/2/e18.pdf

I think 3000 is a bit small, but don't immediately know the smallest possible. There are considerable data about this out there and a lot depends on "linking" small towns and traditional referral patterns.

OP
iatrosB

iatrosB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
hiding from a code
Status
Resident [Any Field]
pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/107/2/e18.pdf

I think 3000 is a bit small, but don't immediately know the smallest possible. There are considerable data about this out there and a lot depends on "linking" small towns and traditional referral patterns.
Per the article above:

"Using a demand-based model with national pediatrician
visit data, the AAP has estimated that counties
require a minimum of 16 000 people to support 1
general pediatrician.21 However, it is difficult to factor
into these estimates the unique features of rural
communities, including children’s need and demand
for care, unique factors shaping rural pediatricians’
practices, hours, and productivity, and competition
for children from other child health providers. The
present study suggests a larger population is needed
to support a pediatrician, showing an inflection point
at a county population of 25 000 for both the likelihood
of having at least 1 pediatrician and for greater
pediatrician-to-population growth."

It looks like 16,000 or 25,000 is the break-point (not the smallest possible, but the most likely to support a ped). Thanks OBP!