rural / small town pediatric hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know that this is a changing area, but I'm very interested in pediatrics in an inpatient setting, and am wondering if I would have to be in a large urban area to be a pediatric hospitalist. I love peds, but I just don't think I can see rashes and viral URI full time for my career. But I don't want to live in the city either. Ideally, (in my fantasy world) there would be a tertiary care center with fascinating cases and good funding and it would be in a rural enough area that I could live somewhere with natural beauty. ie, I love CHLA, but refuse to live in LA for the rest of my life.

Any ideas about how I could be a rural peds hospitalist?
Or other ideas?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So you think a place like that doesn't exist huh? Wellll, I'm here to tell you it does! Geisinger in Danville, PA almost fits your description to a tee! They're a large standalone children's hospital in a very rural and BEAUTIFUL area that has a HUGE referral base, so they see anything and everything you can imagine. They only thing they say they don't see too much of is sickle cell and thalassemias because the population is mostly Caucasian. In addition, they are VERY well funded...enough so that they're able to send residents internationally for electives every year and pay for EVERYTHING. A great program, but it was a little tooo rural for my tastes. But it sounds perfect for you! Good luck!

dartmouth is another one

Members don't see this ad :)
So you think a place like that doesn't exist huh? Wellll, I'm here to tell you it does! Geisinger in Danville, PA almost fits your description to a tee! They're a large standalone children's hospital in a very rural and BEAUTIFUL area that has a HUGE referral base, so they see anything and everything you can imagine. They only thing they say they don't see too much of is sickle cell and thalassemias because the population is mostly Caucasian. In addition, they are VERY well funded...enough so that they're able to send residents internationally for electives every year and pay for EVERYTHING. A great program, but it was a little tooo rural for my tastes. But it sounds perfect for you! Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks! (And thanks to zedpol for pointing out Dartmouth too.)
Does anyone have any others?
How about some on the West Coast?

this isn't on the west coast but I loved Mayo Clinic when I visited. They seem to have a great patient philosophy and a real team work attitude. I thought Rochester would be a great place to live if you like rural towns!