Rush Medicine--Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the scoop on Rush in Chicago?

Anyone know anything about the prelim med program or the med program in general. Residents appear to be happy. Seems like ppl get out early (ie b/w 1-3 PM). any truth to this?

would be nice. i know it has a great rep around chicago...any details owuld be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

ThinkFast007 said:
What's the scoop on Rush in Chicago?

Anyone know anything about the prelim med program or the med program in general. Residents appear to be happy. Seems like ppl get out early (ie b/w 1-3 PM). any truth to this?

would be nice. i know it has a great rep around chicago...any details owuld be appreciated!
:)

Hi, I interviewed at Rush for a prelim position the other day. Seems like a solid university program, residents seem happy, etc. I wasn't too interested in the specifics of the 3 year program but seem to have good fellowhip placement if that is important to you. Intern year is: 8.5 blocks inpatient (incl ICU), 1 block ER, 1 block vacation (can be split into 2, 2 week blocks), 1.5 block ambulatory (including 2 weeks of gyne ambulatory!), 1 elective. Call is q4 while on the 8.5 months of inpatient. Patient cap per intern is 12, average # of patients at a time is about 7-8. Admit only on call days. No short call or night float, but they did have some sort of "overflow" team that admits when the interns on call get capped. Yes, one of the residents I spoke with said she is often finished on her non-call days by early afternoon and is often gone by 3pm. Very friendly environment, really liked the PD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Claymore said:
Hi, I interviewed at Rush for a prelim position the other day. Seems like a solid university program, residents seem happy, etc. I wasn't too interested in the specifics of the 3 year program but seem to have good fellowhip placement if that is important to you. Intern year is: 8.5 blocks inpatient (incl ICU), 1 block ER, 1 block vacation (can be split into 2, 2 week blocks), 1.5 block ambulatory (including 2 weeks of gyne ambulatory!), 1 elective. Call is q4 while on the 8.5 months of inpatient. Patient cap per intern is 12, average # of patients at a time is about 7-8. Admit only on call days. No short call or night float, but they did have some sort of "overflow" team that admits when the interns on call get capped. Yes, one of the residents I spoke with said she is often finished on her non-call days by early afternoon and is often gone by 3pm. Very friendly environment, really liked the PD.
i heard this stuff too.

only thing is I also heard that theses guys work hard! the residents were saying that not having a night float system really screwed them up, esp since they are q4. like you i wasnt interested in the specs of categorical ....but thats what i heard :mad:

dont know what to think. is it cush? or is it hard?

I got the impression that they are a very busy program, and calls were especially busy. The cross coverage is as much work as the admits. I talked with an intern prelim, and she had regrets she hadn't gone to a more cush program, but overall was very happy.

I've heard thru the grapevine that rush works hard (unnecessarily), but genrally lighter than U of C or Loyola...if that means anything to you.

i've heard they work 'hard'. But i wonder if this is because they are q4 for 8 months!

the reality of the matter after speaking to residents is that they jet out of there around 1-2PM. If you ditch noon conference, some say even at 12 noon. Of course you couldnt do this the first couple of months because you are getting acclimated to everything (you usu end up staying until 4-5PM).

i'm prelim...the only drawback for me is the 8 mo's gen med :laugh: