Rush v Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al22al22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Rush and am 99% sure I will attend unless a miracle happens and my top choice decides I'm worthy. I know it's early to be making comparisons between schools but I'm having doubts about whether or not to attend my upcoming Loyola interview for financial reasons (like how to pay rent and buy groceries AND buy a plane ticket), so any info to sway me one way or another would be much appreciated!

Essentially, is there any outstanding reason that I should go interview at Loyola or is there anything that puts it "above" Rush in terms of curriculum, match list, step 1 scores, clinical years, facilities, extracurricular opportunities, overall student satisfaction, reputation, etc.? I can't seem to find any info on their match list/scores and it's very hard to compare the facilities without visiting... so any info is helpful!

Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

You've mentioned finances are a big concern. Attending may result in an accept with the best financial aid offer. If you can find a few hundred now to get on a plane, it could save you thousands in the longer run.

Reactions: 1 user
I think both universities have some similar such as being near Chicago, but they are also some difference. For one, Loyola is a Jesuit institution that highly values faith-based care and social justice. They have a huge commitment to helping underserved populations and advancing humanistic, compassionate clinical care. My perception is that Rush is more geared towards its own school and various research institutions. Location is different too. Loyola is located in Maywood so its more affordable since its a suburb. As opposed to Rush, which is located in Chicago. Honestly, I would say the metrics are pretty much similar. I would focus more on the vibe and the different cultures/communities that each institution fosters and the types of patients they serve. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I think both universities have some similar such as being near Chicago, but they are also some difference. For one, Loyola is a Jesuit institution that highly values faith-based care and social justice. They have a huge commitment to helping underserved populations and advancing humanistic, compassionate clinical care. My perception is that Rush is more geared towards its own school and various research institutions. Location is different too. Loyola is located in Maywood so its more affordable since its a suburb. As opposed to Rush, which is located in Chicago. Honestly, I would say the metrics are pretty much similar. I would focus more on the vibe and the different cultures/communities that each institution fosters and the types of patients they serve. Good luck!

Hm I interviewed at both Loyola and Rush, and I have to say that was not my impression of Rush at all. Yes Loyola has the religious aspect from which their social justice vibe is born, BUT I got the very same impression of commitment to the underserved at Rush. They have a tooonnn of volunteer stuff and seem very committed to I improving the public health of West Chicago. Also if you are interested in underserved/urban health care, you can't beat Cook County.