Rush vs. Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one should a friend of mine who is torn b/w Rush and Loyola for Med/Peds rank as number #1?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's an easy one --- The gym at Loyola tips the scale in Loyola's favor.

retinadoc said:
That's an easy one --- The gym at Loyola tips the scale in Loyola's favor.

lol....ok well how about if that person has a membership at Ballys already and doesnt like working out anywhere else?

seriously though, any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only a third year and do not know much about the program at either place, but I can comment on the little I know. I would tend to favor Rush because they are known for their strong committment to clinical education. They have excellent fellowship placement and very loyal to their own residents for offering fellowships. The hospital is in the Illinois Medical District. The surrounding area is one of the most rapidly improving areas in Chicago. Housing projects are being torndown and replaced with highrises and condos. (although the area is not yet the most desireable in the city.) Rush sends their housestaff to Cook County as well, which is one of the newest most-technologically advanced hospitals in the country. And it has a very exciting ER, as portrayed in the TV show. :laugh: I have been told that a new Children's hospital is possibly in its future. I have a friend of a friend in their program, and she says it is VERY intense. Although, she seems like the type who would be overwhelmed with pretty much any residency.

Loyola is in the suburbs, a crappy one...Maywood is not the safest or nicest. It will be cheaper to live around Maywood as opposed to the downtown. Loyola's hospital is relatively new as well.

I am ranking both programs now and although both are not my top choices I am ranking Loyola over Rush becasue I thought the residents were nicer to get along with, not saying that the Rush residents were mean but I got a good vibe from the Loyola residents. I also thought that one could easily live in the city and commute the 20 minutes to Loyola, since most of the time you are driving at non-peak traffic hours. I beleive that both has the same amount of pathology to see. Well anyway that is my two cents.

chicubs1116 said:
I also thought that one could easily live in the city and commute the 20 minutes to Loyola, since most of the time you are driving at non-peak traffic hours.

There is no such thing as non-peak traffic hours on the Eisenhower (I-290). It is complete hell all day.

If you do end up at Loyola, it is very feasible to live downtown. The bottleneck on I-290 is westbound and if you leave early enough in the a.m. you can beat the traffic. If you want a closer and more flexible commute, there are several really nice communities near Loyola (nobody I know lives in Maywood). Here is a link to housing info for incoming med students that I think you will find helpful: http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/meded/students/FAQ-M1.htm . I live in Forest Park and can get to school in 7 minutes if I hit the traffic lights at the right time.

Good luck on match day!!!

Looks like someone else agree with me about the traffic thing.