• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Rush or UIC?

• Rush

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • UIC

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • I have no idea, but I've gotta vote anyway!

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters

Optimist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Illinois
Status (Visible)
What'll it be? Rush or UIC? Any rationale appreciated. :)

edit: it's the UIC Chicago campus we're comparing here.

lisa13579

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2003
between happy and stressed
Status (Visible)
I got a better feeling about Rush when comparing the two interviews. It could have just been the students I talked to, but they weren't very positive about the drawbacks that a public school has (such as - the school stopped distributing notes because it was too expensive). The facilities were nicer at Rush, but it is also a lot more expensive. I seem to hear a lot on this board how happy the students are at Rush and how they aren't that happy at UIC. But I know it might be a skewed opinion.

Those are my opinions, but I'd like to hear others, because obviously UIC is much cheaper.

About the Ads
E

Eraserhead

Originally posted by lisa13579
I got a better feeling about Rush when comparing the two interviews. It could have just been the students I talked to, but they weren't very positive about the drawbacks that a public school has (such as - the school stopped distributing notes because it was too expensive). The facilities were nicer at Rush, but it is also a lot more expensive. I seem to hear a lot on this board how happy the students are at Rush and how they aren't that happy at UIC. But I know it might be a skewed opinion.

Those are my opinions, but I'd like to hear others, because obviously UIC is much cheaper.

I know a girl that went to UIC and she complained about the program there. It sounds like there are alot of admin. hassles and that the program is very traditional and straightforward (memorize lectures and vomit them up on tests).

Isn't Rush in a better part of Chicago too? I'm not sure about Rush.

Optimist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Illinois
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the replies. :)

I'm still torn between the two, but they seem to be almost dead equal in terms of reputation and how happy the students seemed to be. I guess I'm leaning a little bit towards UIC at the moment, mostly for financial reasons (22K vs. 34K).

kilroth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
Status (Visible)
Doesn't uic charge for two summers? I think they do and this brings two of the four years equivalent to Rush.

Optimist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Illinois
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by kilroth
Doesn't uic charge for two summers? I think they do and this brings two of the four years equivalent to Rush.

Yeah, I posted a question about this a while back:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103296

I think we pretty much established that each summer is charged for a half a semester. So it's 8 semesters for the price of 9, or something like that.

Beast

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2003
Status (Visible)
On the charging for summer tuition deal, has anybody heard of any other school doing this? I think Northwestern's tuition is prorated for the 4 years, but does any other school actually charge for "summer school"? Seeing as Illinois is already one of the most expensive, if not most expensive public school in the nation, the idea seems pretty ridicilous.

Optimist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Illinois
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Beast
On the charging for summer tuition deal, has anybody heard of any other school doing this? I think Northwestern's tuition is prorated for the 4 years, but does any other school actually charge for "summer school"? Seeing as Illinois is already one of the most expensive, if not most expensive public school in the nation, the idea seems pretty ridicilous.

We're basically in-staters, and as such, UIC is still the cheapest option. Obviously, an out-of-stater would do much better financially by going just about anywhere else.

I don't personally know of other schools that do this.

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
Howdy,

I attend UIC, had the option of attending Rush and am glad with my decision. A lot of other schools bump up tuition during 2nd and 3rd years. Check out U of C, Northwestern, and many others do too. In addition, when I received my financial aid packages from Rush and UIC, the decision was very clear. Obviously it's a good idea to live in campus housing your first year because that's how you can meet people, and Rush's apartments are much more pricey than UIC's campus housing. Overall, the bill for Rush came out to be about $51,000 while that for UIC was around $35,000 if I remember correctly. The cost differences are more than just tuition. The loans you'll get from Rush, the private ones, have ridiculously high interest rates, and at UIC you'll get good Stafford loans etc. for ALL your bills, that won't acquire interest until you graduate. No, you're not babied at UIC like you may be at private schools, but if you buckle down and work hard, you'll be fine.

In addition, for my own personal reasons for choosing UIC, here are a few. UIC has it's own fitness facility, and it's currently being renovated and will be awesome when it's done next year. The fitness facility is also connected to the campus housing, a huge bonus in terms of convenience... I probably wouldn't work out if the fitness facility wasn't located downstairs. There's a new research building nearing completion here, and there are many more research opportunities here than at Rush... UIC simply receives more NIH funding... FYI, Rush ranks dead last of all 126 medical schools in terms of NIH funding. I liked UIC's match list, the students seemed to match to a wide variety of programs around the nation, while those from Rush who matched into competitive specialties only matched in Chicago or at Rush. Cook County isn't necessarily a great place to do rotations. WIth so many patients, the doctors don't have tons of time to sit there and teach you much. One of my friends who did his surgery rotation at Cook County said he didn't learn a darn thing because the hospital is so busy, swamped with patients everyday.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, we have our anatomy final tomorrow. :eek:

FF

Optimist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Illinois
Status (Visible)
There's a new research building nearing completion here, and there are many more research opportunities here than at Rush... UIC simply receives more NIH funding... FYI, Rush ranks dead last of all 126 medical schools in terms of NIH funding. I liked UIC's match list, the students seemed to match to a wide variety of programs around the nation, while those from Rush who matched into competitive specialties only matched in Chicago or at Rush.

I guess it makes me wonder if this is due to academic/research prowess, or if it's because UIC is simply a huge institution in every way imaginable. It also brings up an important issue of whether bigger or smaller is better.

Thanks for the info, FF, and good luck on the final.

dentate_gyrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
UIC has this awesome scholarship program, Hancock or something boring like that. You do research while in school and you get a free ride + stipend. No additional years like an MDPhD, just 4 and out.

Bad Mojo

Cold as Ice
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
Am I the only one here who keeps thinking of the band Rush?

Reactions: 1 user

opus03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2002
Lost in Chicago
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by ForceField
In addition, when I received my financial aid packages from Rush and UIC, the decision was very clear. Overall, the bill for Rush came out to be about $51,000 while that for UIC was around $35,000 if I remember correctly. The cost differences are more than just tuition. The loans you'll get from Rush, the private ones, have ridiculously high interest rates, and at UIC you'll get good Stafford loans etc. for ALL your bills, that won't acquire interest until you graduate. No, you're not babied at UIC like you may be at private schools, but if you buckle down and work hard, you'll be fine.

FF

My private loan from Rush is at a pretty low interest rate. Also, after receiving 3 grants my tuition is down to around 21k(total taken out ~41k). Most of the people I know are in a similar situation. However, most of the grants are based on your parent's income...so if that could help you, then it's worth checking out.
In my biased opinion Rush is a wonderful place to be....I do wish we had a gym though. ;)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.