Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragomir13

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone with information on RUSH gen surg?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
TheGrog, IMHO, there is a difference btw doing scut at a county hospital like drawing blood and transporting patients and malignancy, which is where attendings routinely yell and scream at and abuse residents, residents abuse other residents, and no one gives residents any support. A dog-eat-dog type of environment.

Almost ANY resident who works at a true county hospital treating the local indigent population encounters the need to draw blood themselves, and transport patients. They do it because they need to take care of the patient. This does not equal malignant.

Also, many programs are top-heavy in operating experience. Yes, that sucks. But the top heavy programs usually even out the case experiences in the end.

Your perspective on Chicago programs is interesting, b/c it's fairly different from the reputations I've always known (and still hear about).

Rush--rumor has it they graduate the residents with the best technical abilities (on average), but don't have the "prestige" academic factor of UChic or NW grads.

Loyola--long reputed to be malignant. Maybe that's changed by now...but I still hear negative things, but don't know them to be true firsthand. The residents there seemed really unhappy back when I interviewed there, but that was a few years ago.

UChic--very top-heavy in OR experience, not a lot of independence given to residents. Get great fellowships, work with "big names".

NW--good academic reputation, lacking in trauma experience. Good fellowship connections.

UIC--don't really hear much negative or positive about this program (which is probably a GOOD thing...usually bad things spread quickly by the "gossip wildfire").

Posted some info here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=499509

If you want more info, PM me.

IMHO, if you are going there, I am so sorry for you. If you are just thinking of it, I would look elsewhere.....unless you love to be abused and scutted out!

My $0.02 worth

Did you go to med school at Rush? Are you a Rush resident? I am just curious what your connection to the program is.

Did you go to med school at Rush? Are you a Rush resident? I am just curious what your connection to the program is.
I I did a prelim year there, and still have friends there, so I know first-hand.

Smurfette, yes you are correct in the difference between malignancy and scut at a county hospital. There is far more to it than just scut work, I just didn't want to openly criticize them.

I will elaborate a little more though. They will send their categorical residents to the weekly lecture and tell the prelims to stay on the floors and do work and get patients ready in pre-op. I experienced this first hand. Been called plenty of names in front of both attendings and patients that I would not dream of doing to another resident as well (eg: Mr. XXX here is the intard taking care of you, try and not let him kill you. But don't worry, I am watching him!). Was openly told to lie about duty hours by my chief a number of times as well.

As far as their technical skills, I have seen 4th and 5th year residents struggling with procedures that are mastered by 3rd year residents at other programs. Ever see a chief resident who could not do an inguinal hernia? I did.

They also held back some residents and forced one into a year of research because of poor ABSITE scores, while denying another a year of research because of very high scores (didn't want to upset the average).

I could go on, and on.....but why beat a dead horse.

On the opposite side of things, Loyola is definately on the upswing though. They are making changes and cleaning house and it should be a top-knotch program in a few years.

This will probably cause an uproar, but I am only telling what I KNOW is true.