Russian roulette with my license??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacksmith228833

Reaction score
At the corner of, well you know

Have a tech who is counseling, dispensing needles against my direct orders and accepting medication sold back as returns, against direct orders.

Gaslit by management.

Oh, and, in a very high heroin-opiod part of the south

suggestions? thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

At the corner of, well you know

Have a tech who is counseling, dispensing needles against my direct orders and accepting medication sold back as returns, against direct orders.

Gaslit by management.

Oh, and, in a very high heroin-opiod part of the south

suggestions? thoughts?

the only thing that's actually against the law is counseling.... well maybe different in your state.... just send her home and write her up when she does that and make documentation

can also report it to the board and they can do a secret shopper thing to investigate, just make sure you aren't working lol

If you don't get reported, what action would you expect against your license?

As to the problem of insubordinate/non-performing techs, you won't get anywhere if management is spineless.

That's the nature of chain retail today. Pharmacy technician is a licensed "profession" in many states yet the ranks of chain retail are populated by single moms with multiple baby daddies, marginal high school grads, middle aged divorcées looking for a "new career" (LOL) while courting some beta bux and the like

Retail is already ****ty + people mass NEETing means bad techs given excessive latitude

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't get reported, what action would you expect against your license?

As to the problem of insubordinate/non-performing techs, you won't get anywhere if management is spineless.

That's the nature of chain retail today. Pharmacy technician is a licensed "profession" in many states yet the ranks of chain retail are populated by single moms with multiple baby daddies, marginal high school grads, middle aged divorcées looking for a "new career" (LOL) while courting some beta bux and the like

Retail is already ****ty + people mass NEETing means bad techs given excessive latitude
Plus you have to add in the massive labor shortage and then they are treating techs like gold. I got scolded by a tech for recounting a 90 count during verification. "your not supposed to count them, i've never seen a pharmacist do that before" o_O o_O :unsure::unsure::dead::dead:

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Plus you have to add in the massive labor shortage and then they are treating techs like gold. I got scolded by a tech for recounting a 90 count during verification. "your not supposed to count them, i've never seen a pharmacist do that before" o_O o_O :unsure::unsure::dead::dead:

Sounds like a tech with a guilty conscience. I probably would have played nice and said I thought it looked a little short, and that the whole purpose of verification is to serve as a double check.

Reactions: 4 users
This just furthers the point of how ridiculous chains will go to certain lengths to keep technicians whilst turning everything on the RPh in terms of accountability. Unfortunately, seniority and management dictate what is "right"

How can any RPh afford to send a tech home? LMFAO. Discuss with PIC and write up

I got written up, reported to HR by one of these shrew, entitled technicians who always has an attitude/authority issues because I discussed technician cell phone use (whilst working/in pharmacy) with PIC in front of said technician (I am not kidding)

• Hmm
I know it's a problem but I wonder why a defiant tech would choose to do more work. Most techs I know would jump with joy if they can pass the load onto the pharmacist.

unfortunately the tech is right.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Get yourself a pocket sized bound memo book..As questionable/illegal incidents occur...write a note with the basic facts/names etc. also note that you passed to management (with names) ( you "did" pass to upper level flunkies....you did...got it)...due to tech refusal to comply...date/time (nothing HIPPA).....do not let this memo book out of your sight i.e. keep in pocket.....Very rare for the boards to come calling since they are owned by the chains..they will usually only move on small fishies since their budget wouldn't cover one chain store for a year...you, of course are a small fishie but your memo book shows that you involved upper management...keep your yapper well under control..by now they have decided to give you the boot...but hopefully you have avoided the board...Any of the above might or might not help........You gotta face it...chain druggist work honks...

Hi! Other than reporting your technician to your state board for counseling and accepting returned prescriptions that have left the pharmacy, here's one more thing you can do:

Change your views regarding dispensing clean needles, even to a person who you know uses injectable drugs.

Here is one example of why you should: "California’s Disease Prevention Demonstration Project, a pilot program that ran from 2005 – 2010 in fifteen counties and four cities, established that increasing access to sterile syringes through pharmacies can significantly reduce rates of syringe sharing. Researchers who evaluated the pilot program reported that counties that allowed nonprescription syringe sales (NPSS) in pharmacies observed lower injection-related risks among people who inject drugs. Additionally, evaluators of the pilot project found lower levels of unsafe discard of used syringes, no increase in the rate of accidental needle-stick injuries to law enforcement and no increase in rates of drug use or drug-related crime"

Furnishing syringes + needles OTC is the prerogative of the pharmacist

California is rapidly going down the drain so you can make an argument either way. Dispensing needles here and there doesn't do **** because we're letting druggies slide into oblivion anyway without heroin-assisted treatment a la Switzerland, Portugal, and the Netherlands.

Hi! Other than reporting your technician to your state board for counseling and accepting returned prescriptions that have left the pharmacy, here's one more thing you can do:

Change your views regarding dispensing clean needles, even to a person who you know uses injectable drugs.

Here is one example of why you should: "California’s Disease Prevention Demonstration Project, a pilot program that ran from 2005 – 2010 in fifteen counties and four cities, established that increasing access to sterile syringes through pharmacies can significantly reduce rates of syringe sharing. Researchers who evaluated the pilot program reported that counties that allowed nonprescription syringe sales (NPSS) in pharmacies observed lower injection-related risks among people who inject drugs. Additionally, evaluators of the pilot project found lower levels of unsafe discard of used syringes, no increase in the rate of accidental needle-stick injuries to law enforcement and no increase in rates of drug use or drug-related crime"

Agree with this, but there are drawbacks to the permissive stance as well:
1. Some states do not allow for this as they view it as enabling; it could impact your license potentially if they police for this.
2. You probably should make a plan to ensure dirty needles don't get left in your parking lots or bathrooms. Because that becomes risky very quickly, and at least in my experience, it will happen.

Furnishing syringes + needles OTC is the prerogative of the pharmacist

California is rapidly going down the drain so you can make an argument either way. Dispensing needles here and there doesn't do **** because we're letting druggies slide into oblivion anyway without heroin-assisted treatment a la Switzerland, Portugal, and the Netherlands.

California "rapidly going down the drain" sounds like a conservative media talking point. The issue is whether there is evidence for offering the clean needles or not. Whether the above studies were done in California counties or elsewhere (there are many), they tend to refute arguments like "you are just encouraging drug use" or "the needles just end up in the streets". Meanwhile, examples like Indiana refusing to offer syringe exchange services resulting in an HIV outbreak are a counterexample. Dispensing needles "here and there" may not be the one solution, but is is part of it along with linkage to care like medication-assisted treatment, supervised use at syringe exchange locations which allow for drug supply testing for fentanyl, education, and naloxone rescue... or practices like you mention.

Agree with this, but there are drawbacks to the permissive stance as well:
1. Some states do not allow for this as they view it as enabling; it could impact your license potentially if they police for this.
2. You probably should make a plan to ensure dirty needles don't get left in your parking lots or bathrooms. Because that becomes risky very quickly, and at least in my experience, it will happen.

1. Seems dependent on state law. Of course if you are breaking the law by providing clean needles you are bound to it, but we are talking more about whether that should be the case. My answer to those who live in a state like this: contact your representative/Board of Pharmacy etc. to convince them to believe the evidence.
2. Great idea. Should be really quick when providing needles to offer a sharps container, or put a sharps container in the restroom (I mean people need it for insulin etc. anyway), and counsel or provide information on proper disposal. Of course as noted above and as shown in other studies, providing clean needles has not been proven to increase the number which end up on the streets, and I would rather a needle on the street be more likely to be used by one person than many.

"California’s Disease Prevention Demonstration Project, a pilot program that ran from 2005 – 2010 in fifteen counties and four cities, established that increasing access to sterile syringes through pharmacies can significantly reduce rates of syringe sharing. Researchers who evaluated the pilot program reported that counties that allowed nonprescription syringe sales (NPSS) in pharmacies observed lower injection-related risks among people who inject drugs. Additionally, evaluators of the pilot project found lower levels of unsafe discard of used syringes, no increase in the rate of accidental needle-stick injuries to law enforcement and no increase in rates of drug use or drug-related crime"

No $hit Sherlock.

• Inappropriate
In all seriousness though, how about stop injecting illicit drugs.
Problem solved.

• Okay...