Russian Troops Evacuated From Chernobyl With Acute Radiation Sickness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mandelin Rain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Be prepared for a rash of questions. Feel terrible for those guys who had no idea where they were going or what they were doing. Going to be ugly for them.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared for a rash of questions. Feel terrible for those guys who had no idea where they were going or what they were doing. Going to be ugly for them.
Seems like history is repeating itself with the Russian dear leader being told lies bc peons are afraid to bear bad news

I have read conflicting comments on this.

Some say that the dose levels outside the sarcophagus itself are too low for people to get acute radiation sickness but potentially on a long term basis see issues. And since the troops were not that long there, it's quite improbable to see these effects right now.
On the other hand, I've heard the argument that the Russians actually started digging trenches in the forests as defensive positions and that this may have exposed them to considerable dose, since they dug up what was being drained by rains down from the forest over the past 40 years.

Cesium-137 and strontium-90 seem to be main issue, as I understand. Both have a half life around 30 years and the Chernobyl accident happened 36 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
I have read conflicting comments on this.

Some say that the dose levels outside the sarcophagus itself are too low for people to get acute radiation sickness but potentially on a long term basis see issues. And since the troops were not that long there, it's quite improbable to see these effects right now.
On the other hand, I've heard the argument that the Russians actually started digging trenches in the forests as defensive positions and that this may have exposed them to considerable dose, since they dug up what was being drained by rains down from the forest over the past 40 years.

Cesium-137 and strontium-90 seem to be main issue, as I understand. Both have a half life around 30 years and the Chernobyl accident happened 36 years ago.
O chance this is real. Trees and animals could not live in a place where humans would get radiation sickness in a few days. Animals live in burrows.

O chance this is real. Trees and animals could not live in a place where humans would get radiation sickness in a few days. Animals live in burrows.
It does depend on the type of animals. LD50 (kill 50% of exposed) for humans is 4.5 Gy, but for snails it's 200 Gy. :)

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
That was my initial thought. I saw Anthony Bourdain walking around a deserted city and there were animals all around. But I'm not sure about this "red forest" business. I have next to no knowledge of current state of affairs at Chernobyl. Maybe just propaganda?

Last edited:
It does depend on the type of animals. LD50 (kill 50% of exposed) for humans is 4.5 Gy, but for snails it's 200 Gy. :)
Sure,but I bet there are plenty of moles,
Mice, rabbits and god knows what happily breeding in the radioactive dirt.
Take of nuclear scientist

The news report I heard this morning said the Ukrainians claimed the Russian soldiers were "digging" when they got sick. In this context, radiation sickness is a little more feasible as much of the cleanup effort involved burying the radioactive materials (at least, that is my understanding). Still, it might just be some exaggerated propaganda.

Reactions: 1 users