Russian/Ukrainian/Soviet Predents/Applicants

Started by guslik
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

guslik

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone.
Premeds have a huge thread on this topic. Why don't we do the same and get to know each other?
I'll start..
I'm female from former USSR , was born and raised in central part of Russia.
I live in Houston , Texas and have only applied to the Texas dental schools (stupid, I know-will not make the same mistake next year).😎
How about you guys?
Vsem privet!!!!
😀
 
Hello,
i was born in Moscow moved to Los Angeles when I was five. I am goin to Midwestern next year.
 
From Moscow, as well. moved to the states in '92. Will probably be attending UCLA as part of class of 2012
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP: I'm also in Houston, but I won't be applying for a couple more years. I moved here from Ukraine in 1996 when I was only 8, but I still speak a little Russian.
 
OP: I'm also in Houston, but I won't be applying for a couple more years. I moved here from Ukraine in 1996 when I was only 8, but I still speak a little Russian.
are you still working on your undergrad? do you work as well?
When are you planning on taking DAT?
 
Hello fellow predents! Born in Rovno, Ukraine. Came to the states in 92. Going to Tufts this year. I grew up speaking Ukrainian at home and can do well with Russian, for the most part.
 
unfortunate in that many countries outside of Russia was forced to embrace Russia and its language/culture/socialist propaganda. what a plague.
 
unfortunate in that many countries outside of Russia was forced to embrace Russia and its language/culture/socialist propaganda. what a plague.

Privet Hahol,

Please don't try to ignite and propagate anti-Russian propaganda on this site. Either stay on topic or get off this thread.
 
ignite and propagate anti-Russian propaganda

you corybantic moscal. If you could scroll and read through the thread, i simply asked why 'soviet' was used to describe slavics (since i havent heard anyone refer to themselves as soviet anymore. well, i dont know if russians still call themselves that today, granted). BUT, after given the answer I was, I wrote 'unfortunately' (since it indeed was unfortunate and will remain that way). Prompted for an explanation, I offered a brief one. u def know it's not 'propaganda'!! lighten up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you corybantic moscal 🙂 lol. If you could scroll and read through the thread, i simply asked why 'soviet' was used to describe slavics (since i havent heard anyone refer to themselves as soviet anymore. well, i dont know if russians still call themselves that today, granted). BUT, after given the answer I was, I wrote 'unfortunately' (since it indeed was unfortunate and will remain that way). Prompted for an explanation, I offered a brief one. u def know it's not 'propaganda'!! lighten up.

Listen Bandera,

What irked me was not that fact that you called the situation unfortunate, but that fact that you alluded to Russia or Russian influence over Eastern Europe as a "plague." You should think before you say stuff like that, because some people can find that insulting. Atleast, I do.

BTW: I am not a moscal, I was born and raised in Ukraine
 
hey burnthestatus, you sound like a proud full-blooded Ukrainian, i'm one too 🙂 but let's all stick to the topic. i was born in Lviv, Ukraine and came to the US in '97. NYU in the fall.
 
hey burnthestatus, you sound like a proud full-blooded Ukrainian, i'm one too 🙂 but let's all stick to the topic. i was born in Lviv, Ukraine and came to the US in '97. NYU in the fall.
Do u live in NY? My hubby is from Lviv!! 😀 he came here in 1993, still in love with Lviv BTW🙂 The fact that I'm from Russia and he is from Ukraine does not make us to get involved in political arguments. So yes, let's all be polite and nice to each other.
 
Listen Bandera,
I am more of an American than a Ukrainian, but I def take pride in Ukraine and its language/culture...

some people can find that insulting. Atleast, I do.
my apologies, but I personally am convinced that there are vast differences between the people of, say, Ukraine and Russia, and many times, those two just get mixed and lumped together into a category, sometimes a severely stereotypical one. I try to clarify whenever I hear that.

I was born and raised in Ukraine
what part?

anyways, have you decided on a school yet? and how long have you been in the states?
 
I'm Armenian which used to be part of Russia so that counts...right? Hehe. Ironically I'm eating a big bowl of kasha right now. Yum..
 
Well since we want to be all fancy and target a certain race...

I'm Lebanese. Any lebanese predents on SDN??
 
Hello everyone.
Premeds have a huge thread on this topic. Why don't we do the same and get to know each other?
I'll start..
I'm female from former USSR , was born and raised in central part of Russia.
I live in Houston , Texas and have only applied to the Texas dental schools (stupid, I know-will not make the same mistake next year).😎
How about you guys?
Vsem privet!!!!
😀

I am pre-pharm but worked in the dental office for a while. Just wanted to say : Vsem Privet i zhelaju vsem udachi !😍
 
I'm Armenian which used to be part of Russia so that counts...right? Hehe. Ironically I'm eating a big bowl of kasha right now. Yum..

Of course it counts!! That is why when I said "soviet" I meant not only slavics, but also other great nationalities of former USSR. priyatnogo apetiata!!
where do you live? when did you come to US? Congrats on your recent acceptance!! way to go!!
 
I am from Belarus. Moved to US in 1990. I guess every one in here are pre-dental students? I applied to three dental schools and have no acceptances yet, but had one interview at UMD. Waiting makes me crazy. Are there any slavic people who got accepted into University of Maryland or waitisted there?
 
I am from Belarus. Moved to US in 1990. I guess every one in here are pre-dental students? I applied to three dental schools and have no acceptances yet, but had one interview at UMD. Waiting makes me crazy. Are there any slavic people who got accepted into University of Maryland or waitisted there?
I also applied to only 3 state schools and still waiting on SA 😎(post- interview). All this waiting drives me crazy. 😕
 
I also applied to only 3 state schools and still waiting on SA 😎(post- interview). All this waiting drives me crazy. 😕
Do you have a high GPA and DAT? Since so many people apply it is hard to get in. You have to be very competitive. My GPA is 3.64 and DAT 18/20/20 and I am still not in yet. I hope I can get in this year. May be if I have applied to more schools I would have a better chance of geting in somewhere. The problem is that I want to stay in this area of MD. I do not want to move.🙁
 
Do you have a high GPA and DAT? Since so many people apply it is hard to get in. You have to be very competitive. My GPA is 3.64 and DAT 18/20/20 and I am still not in yet. I hope I can get in this year. May be if I have applied to more schools I would have a better chance of geting in somewhere. The problem is that I want to stay in this area of MD. I do not want to move.🙁
My Overall GPA 3.93, Science GPA 3.92, DAT 18/18/19. I have already started preparing to retake DAT. Moving on to a plan B I guess.
 
My Overall GPA 3.93, Science GPA 3.92, DAT 18/18/19. I have already started preparing to retake DAT. Moving on to a plan B I guess.
Your GPA rock. I wish I had such high GPA. I am surprized that you did not get in yet.😕 Good luck on DAT. Get a DAT destroyer to study. It really helped me with chemistry part.🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got the Destroyer already. Looks like a great book. I too, was hoping that my GPA will compensate for my OK DAT. Oh well, I guess will wait and see. If you do not get in this year, will you be retaking DAT? I hope we still have a shot for 2008. Good luck to us!!
 
I got the Destroyer already. Looks like a great book. I too, was hoping that my GPA will compensate for my OK DAT. Oh well, I guess will wait and see. If you do not get in this year, will you be retaking DAT? I hope we still have a shot for 2008. Good luck to us!!
I do not plan to retake DAT for the third time, because I do not think I can do better. The weak areas are RC (english second language)- 16 and QR-15. I hate solving problems, it takes me forever. If I will not get in this year I will get my second degree in bio. I just need to take three or two courses in bio and I will have my second BS. I may take more courses for masters, I have not decided yet. I hope and pray that I will get in this year.
 
Hello everyone.
Premeds have a huge thread on this topic. Why don't we do the same and get to know each other?
I'll start..
I'm female from former USSR , was born and raised in central part of Russia.
I live in Houston , Texas and have only applied to the Texas dental schools (stupid, I know-will not make the same mistake next year).😎
How about you guys?
Vsem privet!!!!
😀

Privetik...

Born in Odessa, immigrated I in 94/95, going to UW! I didn't know there were so many people from the former USSR here! V

Vsem udachi👍
 
I am more of an American than a Ukrainian, but I def take pride in Ukraine and its language/culture...

my apologies, but I personally am convinced that there are vast differences between the people of, say, Ukraine and Russia, and many times, those two just get mixed and lumped together into a category, sometimes a severely stereotypical one. I try to clarify whenever I hear that.


what part?

anyways, have you decided on a school yet? and how long have you been in the states?

No worries. I came from Sevastopol, Ukraine in 98. Attending NYU next year.
 
Privet!! where are you from? where do you live/study now?

Privet!
I'm also from the former USSR, came to the states in 93. Currently live in the NYC area and will most likely attend SUNY Buffalo. Good luck to y'all.
 
Privet!
I'm also from the former USSR, came to the states in 93. Currently live in the NYC area and will most likely attend SUNY Buffalo. Good luck to y'all.
Where did you live in the former USSR? I noticed your major was Hebrew. Are you fluent in this language? If you are: "Ma nishma?" 😀
 
Hello,
I was born in Moscow but moved to the states when i was very young...going to UMDNJ this fall!!!
 
hey i am from odessa, since 1995.
i am considering predent but my parents are really pushing me into medicine. also my gpa is low so i am depending on high mcat and dat and i guess i'll go anywhere that i can get accepted.
da i ya hochu pozhalovatsya na zhizn'. menya devushki zdes' ne hotiat. pitaus' znakomitsa i vse posilaut. dazhe russkie. poetomu ohoto den'gi zarabotat'. togda mozhet zahotiat ili na hudoi konets v rossiu budu ezdit' na otpusk.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
я из Беларуси. В штатах с 2003. В этом году подаю документы. Интересно вопрос национальности поднимался у кого-либо на интерью и вообще быть из бывшего СССР - это плюс или минус для школ? Спасибо.
 
at my BU interview we did talk a little about my russian background. i didnt get in there so its not necessarily a plus, but i doubt it was a minus either.
 
Privet vsem!

I am from S.Petersburg. I am living here since 2002. Accepted to OHSU (Portland, OR).