Rutger's MBS Fall 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetoothdiaries

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else apply for Rutger's MBS program for the upcoming fall admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Applied but have not heard back yet. However, I did only apply in the beginning of March.

Are you pre-dent? I’ve heard nothing but good things about Newark for dent from my friend whose doing MBS there now :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted 2 weeks ago! I have to decide between Rutgers and the MSMP program at Case Western but I'm pretty torn between the 2 programs right now

I was accepted 2 weeks ago! I have to decide between Rutgers and the MSMP program at Case Western but I'm pretty torn between the 2 programs right now
I also got in 2 weeks ago! I am deciding between Rutgers and Umiami MiBS program. Is there anything specific that is drawing you to go to Rutgers?

I also got in 2 weeks ago! I am deciding between Rutgers and Umiami MiBS program. Is there anything specific that is drawing you to go to Rutgers?
I actually ended up committing to CWRU, just because I think it will better suit me. However, the program at Rutgers was very intriguing, mostly because I am from New Jersey so I would be able to pay the in-state tuition. But some of the other aspects of the program at Rutgers that stood out to me and made it super hard for me to choose were the curriculum, as they seem to have a broad range of classes for their core curriculum that would be super helpful for medical school like the gross anatomy and pharmacology classes, and the fact that a Capstone project is required to complete the program so basically you're forced to connect with medical school faculty and do a research project for them instead of having to go out of your way to find research, which doesn't seem like it would be too much of a problem at Rutgers anyways. I think the Rutgers program is a really good program and other forums seem to prove that, but in the end it just wasn't for me. Sorry if this isn't super helpful since I'm just rambling and basically saying everything they already have on their website, but I wish you the best of luck in choosing between the programs! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I applied on 05/12/2020, and just got in yesterday (05/22/2020) for the Piscataway program, as well as Newark's medical scholars track! Currently waiting on other decisions from other apps atm, but I'm leaning towards the Piscataway program atm since it's more structured. I also heard that RWJ distributes the cadavers for NJ, and for the gross anatomy class, there's 4-5 ppl per cadaver vs the avg 10-12.

Last edited:
Recently applied waiting to hear back. For those who got in, do you mind sharing your stats?

I submitted my application on 5/23. My LORs were just submitted a week ago. I hope to hear back soon!! I applied to Barry and MWU MABS program as well.

For those that got accepted, what were your stats?

Piscataway had a webinar this week, and here's some stats from 2019-2020 class:
- 250 applicants; ~100 matriculated into MBS
- 21% OOS
- 50:48 ratio Female:Male
- Avg GPA: 3.24
- Avg MCAT: 500
- Avg DAT: 21 (1)
- Avg GRE: V:55%; Q:54; W:64%

I think Newark MBS is having another webinar soon, but personally, I decided to commit to Piscataway. Based off of the last group email for seat deposits, I know that at least 57 people have been accepted by the adcom, and have accepted their seat into Piscataway so far. The webinar said to expect around the same numbers, with an increase in OOS this year.

Piscataway had a webinar this week, and here's some stats from 2019-2020 class:
- 250 applicants; ~100 matriculated into MBS
- 21% OOS
- 50:48 ratio Female:Male
- Avg GPA: 3.24
- Avg MCAT: 500
- Avg DAT: 21 (1)
- Avg GRE: V:55%; Q:54; W:64%

I think Newark MBS is having another webinar soon, but personally, I decided to commit to Piscataway. Based off of the last group email for seat deposits, I know that at least 57 people have been accepted by the adcom, and have accepted their seat into Piscataway so far. The webinar said to expect around the same numbers, with an increase in OOS this year.
does this mean about 50 seats are still available?

Members don't see this ad :)
does this mean about 50 seats are still available?
Probably less than that number left since the deadline to submit is in ~a month (July 15) - Idk if my email group is the first one or a subsequent group.
I believe Newark has more seats because they include pre-med, pre-dent, and pre-research students; Piscataway is aimed at premed.

Which one are you going for?

Probably less than that number left since the deadline to submit is in ~a month (July 15) - Idk if my email group is the first one or a subsequent group.
I believe Newark has more seats because they include pre-med, pre-dent, and pre-research students; Piscataway is aimed at premed.

Which one are you going for?
re-dent!! I applied to newark a couple days ago but am worried about my stats..

I submitted my application on 5/23. My LORs were just submitted a week ago. I hope to hear back soon!! I applied to Barry and MWU MABS program as well.

For those that got accepted, what were your stats?

just received my acceptance for newark!

just received my acceptance for newark!
Congrats!! where were your stats like if you dont mind me asking? And did you get an email? I just submitted my app last week how long did it take for you to get a response?

Congrats!! where were your stats like if you dont mind me asking? And did you get an email? I just submitted my app last week how long did it take for you to get a response?
thank you!

my stats are pretty low... 3.0 gpa <20 AA. i submitted my app 5/23, they contacted me on 6/11 for a missing document and they emailed me yesterday. i think what helped me may be my LORs, according to my professors they wrote strong letters.

good luck!! lmk if you hear back!

I was just accepted to the Newark med scholars program today!!!! Anybody wanna connect on fb or IG?

If you don’t mind me asking, how were your stars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extremely low! Gpa is a 2.71 and my GRE was a 294; they said in the webinar that your GRE needs to be in the 20th percentile which I barely made the cut.

My GRE was was 290 and i have a 2.87 gpa. My GRE for quant was in the 26th percentile and for verbal in the 19th percentile but writing I got a 3 so it was in the 15th percentile. Do you think I have a good shot? I'm so nervous and really want to do this program. i submitted my app last week

you should be good! Quant was 24th percentile, my verbal was a 148 and a 3 on writing as well.

you should be good! Quant was 24th percentile, my verbal was a 148 and a 3 on writing as well.
my quan was 147 and verbal 143, i'm afraid since it's below 20th percentile they may not accept, do they have a strict rule it has to be above 20th percentile?

my quan was 147 and verbal 143, i'm afraid since it's below 20th percentile they may not accept, do they have a strict rule it has to be above 20th percentile?

im pretty sure they only really care about the quant, you said It was in the 26th percentile right? I’m not an admissions person so I’m not a hundred percent sure what they will do but the application is Free so just wait and see! I’m hoping to meet you on campus!

im pretty sure they only really care about the quant, you said It was in the 26th percentile right? I’m not an admissions person so I’m not a hundred percent sure what they will do but the application is Free so just wait and see! I’m hoping to meet you on campus!
I paid for it even though i entered the free code LOL i completly forgot that it was free, maybe they could give me a refund. You too! thank you for your help

I paid for it even though i entered the free code LOL i completly forgot that it was free, maybe they could give me a refund. You too! thank you for your help

yes call to see if they will give you a refund lol!

Last edited:
I only received an initial email a couple days ago saying congrats I was admitted and that an email with next steps was forthcoming. Anyone else received additional emails after that one?

I only received an initial email a couple days ago saying congrats I was admitted and that an email with next steps was forthcoming. Anyone else received additional emails after that one?

I received the same email! I was waiting for an official email but if you go to this link (Check Your Status | Graduate and Professional Admissions) and login, you should be able to accept or reject your acceptance. In the sidebar on that page, there's a "What's Next?" section so I've just been completing that as well. Hope to see you on campus!

When did you apply? And what were your stats like
I applied on 5/4 with a 3.2 cumGPA and around a 2.9 sGPA. I had not taken the DAT (I'm pre-dental) or the GRE. Originally, I had scheduled my DAT exam for early July but moved it to mid-August due to my undergrad not finishing until end of May. I emailed and asked if I was missing any materials or credentials -- I forgot to update them with my new test date. I got my acceptance only a few days later after my DAT test date clarification!

My advice: don't hesitate to reach out to [email protected]

I don't have Facebook but if anyone wants to join a GroupMe for attending students (pre-dental, pre-med or research!) DM me!!

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be starting the Piscataway program in Fall! Does anyone know if there is a facebook group or anything?

Has anyone gotten denied from the newark program and asked for a second review on their app? I have a 2.91 overall gpa and got denied but sent an email asking for a second review idk if that's possible tho

Has anyone gotten denied from the newark program and asked for a second review on their app? I have a 2.91 overall gpa and got denied but sent an email asking for a second review idk if that's possible tho
i'm sorry to hear you weren't accepted... i'm honestly not sure if they would, but it doesn't hurt to ask. you can always email them to ask for the reason why you weren't accepted (i think i saw on their website somewhere that you can contact them about that). they are very helpful and respond fairly quick to emails. you can maybe contact dr.tsiagbe to get some advising as well

Did they send you an email or did you check via the portal?