Rutgers (OOS) vs. Buffalo (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holachica!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am having a very hard time deciding between Rutgers (OOS) vs. Buffalo (OOS)
I am not sure if I am going to do residency.

Rutgers:
-already put my deposit
-new clinic
-seems like they have more diverse student population, but I am not so sure about this.
-neighborhood is urban but also a little unsafe
-clinically stronger
-not much interaction with admission committee, and did not like how they made me snail-mail a lot of things during admission process

Buffalo:
-location (My home is outside of the US, but it is ok if I don't visit my home that much while I am in school)
-renovation with clinic and lounges
-implant center
-cheap tuition and cheap cost of living
-friendly atmosphere
-seems like they care about students, and hosted admitted students day

Where would you go?
Most of my friends told me that they would choose Rutgers, mostly because of location, name value, and more patient pool.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cheapest. Cost is the most important factor. See if you can get in state at either of them after a year.

Reactions: 3 users
I am curious to know what makes you believe that Rutgers accepts a more competent student than Buffalo? Not saying I agree or disagree, just wondering what makes you feel that like that is the case. I have seen the popular spreadsheet of dental school admission statistics that is a few years but is likely still somewhat accurate. It looks like Rutgers has a slightly higher DAT, Buffalo has a slightly higher GPA, but mostly very similar stats. My information may be incorrect, just seems like they are very similar in the caliber student they accept. Honestly seems like both are fantastic schools, have competitive tuition and if one is cheaper by any significant number to go with that one. Good luck!

I am curious to know what makes you believe that Rutgers accepts a more competent student than Buffalo? Not saying I agree or disagree, just wondering what makes you feel that like that is the case. I have seen the popular spreadsheet of dental school admission statistics that is a few years but is likely still somewhat accurate. It looks like Rutgers has a slightly higher DAT, Buffalo has a slightly higher GPA, but mostly very similar stats. My information may be incorrect, just seems like they are very similar in the caliber student they accept. Honestly seems like both are fantastic schools, have competitive tuition and if one is cheaper by any significant number to go with that one. Good luck!

Hey there! You are right! They are both good schools, and that is why I am having this problem. This is just my personal impression but, because of the location and the name, I think that many choose Rutgers over UB.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage you to look in to Buffalo - I say this as a Rutgers student.

Yes, Rutgers has a new clinic (for half the class), but that's cosmetic. It's not going to change your experience. We have diverse students, but again, I'm not sure that changes your experience here. Everyone breaks into cliques anyway. Neighborhood is weird, but I wouldn't call it unsafe. I've never heard of an incident involving a dental student.

"Clinically strong" is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot. Pre-Dents love it, dental students hate it. High requirements make graduating on time difficult. Many seniors don't think they'll graduate on time this year - a few are worried whether they'll even graduate before their residency start date on July 1st. The school has been remarkably unaccommodating with COVID, it's actually shocking some days. Though I hear similar things from students at other schools. Keep in mind, the amount of work you get done in dental school is lacking anywhere (because of bureaucracy and general nonsense)- your true training will be the first years out. Experience in school doesn't matter much.

I've heard good things about Buffalo, and it seems like it would be cheaper for you. I'd talk to some current students at Buffalo. I know a chunk of people who regret coming to Rutgers who had other cheap options. If Rutgers is the cheapest option, do it. And if you really think it's the better choice, it's a fine school and you'll be fine. But if Buffalo is as cheap or cheaper, I'd ask the students how they feel about 1) graduating on time, 2) the accommodations of the school, 3) general stress levels (especially among seniors), 4) coursework. In the end, which school you pick won't matter, but the debt will.

Reactions: 3 users
I would encourage you to look in to Buffalo - I say this as a Rutgers student.

Yes, Rutgers has a new clinic (for half the class), but that's cosmetic. It's not going to change your experience. We have diverse students, but again, I'm not sure that changes your experience here. Everyone breaks into cliques anyway. Neighborhood is weird, but I wouldn't call it unsafe. I've never heard of an incident involving a dental student.

"Clinically strong" is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot. Pre-Dents love it, dental students hate it. High requirements make graduating on time difficult. Many seniors don't think they'll graduate on time this year - a few are worried whether they'll even graduate before their residency start date on July 1st. The school has been remarkably unaccommodating with COVID, it's actually shocking some days. Though I hear similar things from students at other schools. Keep in mind, the amount of work you get done in dental school is lacking anywhere (because of bureaucracy and general nonsense)- your true training will be the first years out. Experience in school doesn't matter much.

I've heard good things about Buffalo, and it seems like it would be cheaper for you. I'd talk to some current students at Buffalo. I know a chunk of people who regret coming to Rutgers who had other cheap options. If Rutgers is the cheapest option, do it. And if you really think it's the better choice, it's a fine school and you'll be fine. But if Buffalo is as cheap or cheaper, I'd ask the students how they feel about 1) graduating on time, 2) the accommodations of the school, 3) general stress levels (especially among seniors), 4) coursework. In the end, which school you pick won't matter, but the debt will.
Hi Ivy!
Thank you so much for your insights! Your honest thoughts are very valuable to me as they really help me out.
I will definitely keep your words in mind, and try my best to be a happy and skilled dental student wherever I attend. :)