1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rutgers Pre Med?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mr.Patel, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Mr.Patel

Mr.Patel Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am only a senior in High School. I have been fooling around through high school with decent grades. However, I will have to do something to turn it on. Can any one comment on how Rutgers Pre Med Program is. Also hows an Economics Major as a Pre Med? (I know I can major in anything...but is it harder or easer then Science). Thanks.

2. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I can't comment on the Rutgers Pre-med program but in reagrds to your question about economics - I would say it probably is easier than science. However, you question makes me worry that you are only choosng this major because you want an "easy" route to medical school. If you love economics - go for it. However, just as you are thinking at economics is easier, the adcoms will be thinking it too and won't give you as much slack on your grades, plus they will probably ask you why you chose economics, so be prepared with a better answer than "it was easier than science". Also something else to consider, depending on what tier of medical school you are looking to get in to, you may need to do some scientific research to be a competitive applicant at that school. It is easier, in my opinion, to do quality research with a science major than without one. Not only that, but many medical schools require upper level science classes as a prerequisite to applying, so you will still have to do these classes.

One last thing, as I'm sure others on SDN will tell you, you are a LONG way from applying to medical school and most people who go in as a pre-med will not end up as a doctor. So don't pick a major just to have an easy route to med school, first because you may not end up there, and second because med school is tough and if you don't challenge yourself in undergrad you won't be prepared for med school.

3. OP
    OP
    Mr.Patel

Mr.Patel Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Thanks for the reply. I Chose Ecnonomics becuase I enjoy it very much (Currently I take AP Macro and Micro Economics in my high school. Although I only have like a high B average, I love that class. I always look foward to the discussions and such.) The only reason I asked was just to know :). Also some tell me thats like "double" majoring. I keep trying to prove them wrong, but those idiots don't believe me that PRE MED isn't a major. Anyways thanks for clearing it up. Any more info on RUTGERS and/or ECONOMICS.

4. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm just graduating Rutgers, New Brunswick and I loved it. I got into 3 allopathic schools. Rutgers is huge, but there's so many things to get involved in. Don't get lost in the crowd. Thats the only advice I can give you. And enjoy college, you'll have a great time.

Also the HPO is great. They'll do anything for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. parpat8

2+ Year Member

I will also graduate from Rutgers NB soon and have an acceptance in allopatheic school. NB HPO is great. Economics at Rutgers is pretty easy (I am minoring in it). However, I will suggest a science major (not bio though). Biochem (i am not majoring in biochem, I am an engineering student) is pretty good major for pre-meds. You can always take econ classes as your elective which will also help you keep up your GPA. As said by 'applyingsucks' Rutgers is huge, so pick a major department that is friendly and will give you opportunities to participate in EC, research, etc..

6. turkleton

turkleton Capeless Crusader
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you work hard- "good" major/double major, good GPA, MCATS- you can go pretty much anywhere from the Rut. Check out their past students matriculation records... its very impressive. However, any class you go to at Rutgers you will find one constant- former pre-meds. Tons start out and many simply don't finish. I wouldn't worry so much about your major- econ is fine, just make sure you have some sciences under your belt- as your work ethic. Check out the other threads on SDN- they're littered with what are my chances. You don't want to be one of those. College is tons of fun, and you should enjoy it to the full- I did. But if you want to do med school, you'll probably have to be a little more focused than other people- this isn't arrogance, just a fact: roughly 50,000 applicants for 16,000 allo seats. Do the math. Best of luck.