Rutgers PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyD2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Any current Rutgers students willing to DM me or post here? I was placed on a waitlist for their PsyD program. Does anyone know if people tend to get off the waitlist or is this basically a soft rejection? Since this is such a high ranked program I am betting not many people decline an admissions offer.

Would very much appreciate any input re waitlist!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the data on their website (https://gsapp.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/images/c-20_2020_clinical_0.pdf) over the past 5 years they offered to about 2x as many people as they enrolled, so looks like 20 or so people ought to come off the waitlist :) .

I'd be cautious extrapolating this year with past numbers. There are a good number of programs that are not accepting students this year, so it's possible that more of the initial offers are accepted at good programs given that some of those applicants may not have competing offers to teh extent that they may have in past years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be cautious extrapolating this year with past numbers. There are a good number of programs that are not accepting students this year, so it's possible that more of the initial offers are accepted at good programs given that some of those applicants may not have competing offers to teh extent that they may have in past years.
True! My program has made offers and we filled 50% of our class within the first 10 days after offers were made and have had one person decline (the remainder are holding offers). This doesn't seem wildly different from normal to me but that's one program. And we did have twice as many apps as normal.

Thank you all! Yes, I am a bit worried about this year being different for the reasons you mentioned @WisNeuro... @AlmostaPhD Thanks so much! Are you saying that this year more people accepted the initial offer or that is had been similar to previous years despite an increase in applicants?

Thank you all! Yes, I am a bit worried about this year being different for the reasons you mentioned @WisNeuro... @AlmostaPhD Thanks so much! Are you saying that this year more people accepted the initial offer or that is had been similar to previous years despite an increase in applicants?
I'm just kind of ballparking, but we typically make about 5 more offers than are accepted per year at my program. So far we had 1 decline but there are many more weeks to go. It's possible that 100% of folks currently holding offers will ultimately accept and that would be unusual (only 1 rejected offer), but I imagine we'll start to see some movement this month as interviews are mostly done and waitlists update elsewhere. So, unfortunately, it may just be too early to tell. Just speaking about my lab, I've had people accept the offers within a few business days every year for the past several years and that was the same this year.

I also don't think there are THAT many places that didn't accept applications this year. Definitely there are some established programs that did not take a class, but if you look at the CUDCP interview calendar it's clear that many places were still operating normally this year. Now that we're at the offer stage the landscape may or may not be different from normal.

Thank you so much for your insight. I am currently holding one offer but will likely decline if I get more offers. I am waiting on two more programs, plus the Rutgers waitlist, so fingers crossed one of them works out as this waiting game is taking a toll :)

Are you allowed to ask where you are on the waitlist? Next person up is different than thirteenth for the purposes of your decision making.

@psy.d. 2021 So I didn't ask but I did reach out to faculty members that I had previously connected well with and expressed my gratitude for their continued consideration, as well as my continued interest etc. and they reached out to me and mentioned I am "very" and "quite high" on the waitlist. The department chair then today reached out after I had written a thank you email and expressed my continued interest last week, and while I didn't ask for my position he basically said this anyways "....You’re broadly in the “high wait-list” area, which means that you’re amongst a group of students who would be high on our list if others begin to decline. It’s impossible to give a specific placement as the list is dynamic. We make decisions based on composition of the class, faculty matches, etc. What I can say is that a good number of people in this area do ultimately get offers, but not everyone..." I know from past years that they have a regular and a high waitlist, but to be honest, it sounds like within that there is no real ranking, unless I understand this wrong.

Last edited: