Rutgers vs Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartass

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am NJ resident. Got accepted to Rutgers and Stony Brook. Considering all cons and pros inclined to go SB.
Would you suggest where education / chances to specialize would be higher since I have to make decision now ? Any down sides for SB (compared to Rutgers) ?

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best bet would to post this question on dental town. I actually read more positive comments about rutgers on there. Than again, the class size is bigger than stonybrook, so i'm not too surprised.

Personally? I had a more positive INTERVIEW experience at Rutgers than at Stony, by far actually. I really liked how they started out the day with a bunch of D4s in the conference room. And it was even more surprising how genuinely happy they seemed. Far more than most schools I saw. I'm sure you would actually see more patients at Rutgers too. Regarding specialization, that really depends on you more than on the school, unless you're interested in OMFS. In that case, a medical base program like stony brook might more favorable. There was a post from a dental student I read about that dealt with OMFS residences and how he was interviewing with people from outside of the major 4 med base schools (upenn, columbia, uconn, stony). So you're not out of the running if you're interested in OMFS and decide not to attend SB.

So choose a school you like, with a decent location and a good cost. I would actually favor Rutgers a bit more if I was in your shoes. State school, close to home, great cost, extremely clinically based and really positive interview experience.

Last edited: