RVU at VA hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedDoc305

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a first year med student interested in Radiology and in obtaining the VA HSPS. I have been looking at job postings and the average salary is around 300k for a typical 6000-7000 RVU job. Where does that amount of RVU fall within the spectrum, and is it lower than you'd generate in PP?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently a first year med student interested in Radiology and in obtaining the VA HSPS. I have been looking at job postings and the average salary is around 300k for a typical 6000-7000 RVU job. Where does that amount of RVU fall within the spectrum, and is it lower than you'd generate in PP?

Average salary for the VA or all jobs?

300k seems reasonable for the VA. Your salary won't even keep up with inflation but you get a nice pension if you stay for like 20 years.

6000-7000 RVU is probably slightly more than most VA radiologists and much less than most PP radiologists.

Average salary for the VA or all jobs?

300k seems reasonable for the VA. Your salary won't even keep up with inflation but you get a nice pension if you stay for like 20 years.

6000-7000 RVU is probably slightly more than most VA radiologists and much less than most PP radiologists.
Average for VA jobs. Just trying to get a feel for what a radiologist's job is like in the VA productivity-wise. Trying to see if the 4.5-year contract is worth the 200k-230k money saved on tuition/stipend/interest. Thank you I figured it would be less than PP just didn't know how much less.

The numbers you said are probably pretty accurate. VA salaries are definitely less than PP but probably higher in terms of salary/RVU. Little over 300K for 6k rvu sounds about right. In an ideal, busy PP with a lucrative position, could get 450k for 12-15k RVU. definitely alot of PP jobs for 35k0 or so for the same volume, depends on your desirability and such. Overall you always get paid more per unit productivity in the VA but theres alot of more "service oriented" tasks in the VA rather than straight RVU which are not accounted for.

Definitely recommend the VA HPSP. For starters im not sure why anyone would do military HPSP while this exists, and I suspect it will get shut down eventually. Military salaries are garbage and VA salaries are competitive with the radiology job market, with essentially the same service requirement