RVU-COM (Rocky Vista - Colorado) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL :hardy:👍

As an aside, it's up to the individual student as to what an opportunity provides. All the tiered school bull**** here on SDN means nada in the real scheme. No one outside of osteopathic premies/students gives a flying damn about osteopathic school "rankings" but people need to develop some sort of criteria for evaluating schools even where none can reliably exist. World News exploited this very "need" with questionable criteria and it amounts to nothing but a way to boost sales. Same phenomena in the allo (40-yr-old virgin) forum but I concede that the trend might exist at the "Ivy League" level where the name can mean a little something - even then it's the board scores that still serve as the great equalizer, just as the MCAT accomplishes.

I've learned a thing or two around here and I've conducted blind polls 🙂D) in the "real" world. The SDN blog sphere can and will rot your mind. It can also fill one with a false sense of complacency when it comes to the individual decision. It's all still hard work and scores.

Might as well chase some powder during your down time. 👍
 
Don't kid yourself. Two of our professors are going to Rocky Vista. One is leaving in December and the other a few months later. Both of them are really good people and great teachers. Regardless of how you feel about for-profit medical education, the professors could care less about that and they are not likely to suffer from a lack of quality instructors.

Hello! I will be attending RVU-COM and I was wondering what you may be able to tell me about the professors you know that are transferring there. I have heard good things about the faculty from reputable individuals, just not any details about teaching styles, exams, approachability(though at the interview I was very comfortable with everyone I encountered),etc.
I am sure you can tell I am getting the "Oh my G! Im going to med school! What? Gitters." So, naturally I am trying to find out all I can to feel informed. Anything you can enlighten me on would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
No one outside of osteopathic premies/students gives a flying damn about osteopathic school "rankings" but people need to develop some sort of criteria for evaluating schools even where none can reliably exist.

Agree, in the biggest possible way.

bth
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I will be attending RVU-COM and I was wondering what you may be able to tell me about the professors you know that are transferring there..... Anything you can enlighten me on would be appreciated. Thanks!

I got an email from one of gthem just the other day. She'll be in charge of the standard patient program, I believe. I was surprised to find that you guys would have 20 patient rooms and a simulator ward with 1 Harvey, 2 SimMans and 1 SimBaby to begin with. And, they'll be adding more as the number of students increases. So, they seem to be sparing no expense for you guys.

As for the faculty, she told me there were "[l]ots of fun, young faculty" there. It seems that they are all enjoying themselves. The atmosphere should be really conducive to both teaching and learning, IMO. I also heard that nosebleed are a fact of life in the thin air there :laugh:.

Good Luck!!! :luck::luck::luck:
 
Agree, in the biggest possible way.

bth

Ditto.

I got an email from one of them just the other day. She'll be in charge of the standard patient program, I believe. I was surprised to find that you guys would have 20 patient rooms and a simulator ward with 1 Harvey, 2 SimMans and 1 SimBaby to begin with. And, they'll be adding more as the number of students increases. So, they seem to be sparing no expense for you guys.

😀👍

Steve Puthoff, DO

From the UNTHSC/Ft. Worth (TCOM). Dr. Smith hails from there as well but some time farther back.
 
Hey all!!
So I work in a physician's office and our "computer guy" (yes, that is the official title) was in today and he is really quite fantastic. We were discussing the laptop requirements for the school and I found out he is able to personally/privately order them for much cheaper than even something like dell.com. So..... I figured I'd post his info due to the fact that we are all about to be ridiculously poor and can use all the help we can get. He really is quite brilliant and not the least bit slimy. His info:
Brian Brechtl
719-499-4897
[email protected]
Have a great day!!
 
I thought I read somewhere that they want you to stay in Colorado for a while? Does that mean that if I'm planning to pay for school with the military I should steer clear??
 
I thought I read somewhere that they want you to stay in Colorado for a while? Does that mean that if I'm planning to pay for school with the military I should steer clear??


Umm... no. Touch base with the admissions counselors for the story. HPSP is a viable method of funding your education at RVUCOM and there's no "contract" to stay in the state - unless you want to tap into the rotations and future residencies in CO or the Mountain West.
 
Umm... no. Touch base with the admissions counselors for the story. HPSP is a viable method of funding your education at RVUCOM and there's no "contract" to stay in the state - unless you want to tap into the rotations and future residencies in CO or the Mountain West.

Thanks. I'm from Northern Utah, so I like the area, I just can't be stuck to one place.