RVU Compensation Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8t7x

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking at a new contract and would like to know if $50 / RVU is a reasonable rate for general pediatrics? I'd be paid on production

Members don't see this ad.

That's pretty reasonable. I'm at a physician owned company and we work on production as well. The Current rate is $48.67 (blended rate from 2020, 2019,and 2018 AMGA/MGMA data) the new rate would be $51.37 (blend rate from 2021, 2020 and 2019). However, we have to decide on the new rate since they are based in part on a crazy year (2021). We may be moving the rate down.

So I think what you are being offered is fairly reasonable.

We do also have bonuses for high producers and overseeing NPs if we are profitable over the median rate that we pay.

The questions you need to ask are these: will you have the patient load required to meet the production level you are looking for? Does the group have a provider leaving or are they trying to build? It can take some new doctors time to build their patient load. That is why most companies will start a physician on a negotiated salary rather than on production immediately.