RWJMS vs NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sappho

Reaction score
Hi! Looking for some insights about rwjms and njms, the two schools I'm choosing between at the moment :) I love both of them right now and they're similar in many ways, so it's hard to choose.

RWJMS
pros:
- really really really close to home (<15 min drive) (this is a total pro)
- true P/F
- no ranking
- love NB and Piscataway, already familiar with them too
- already know people at the med school
- already familiar with the campus
cons:
- lower possibility of attending with sibling (incredibly important part of my support system)
- lowkey feels like an extension of my undergrad? same location, campus environment, familiar faces (both a pro and con)
- i've heard rwjms grads leave with more debt than the national avg? (correct me if i'm wrong, I'm also IS)

NJMS
pros:
- amazing first impression and interview experience
- working with underserved patient populations in an urban area is exciting to me
- will feel like a change in pace compared to rwjms (njms is farther away tho not that far maybe an hour away, I never lived in the area, I don't know many other people there)
- GREAT possibility of attending with sibling (huge factor rn, tho I still want to make the most informed decision regardless of this)
cons:
- not true P/F
- has ranking
- new environment, i'm the type of person to struggle at first before really kicking it off (both a pro and con)
- I heard from current students that the administration is a bit unorganized at times? (again, correct me if I'm wrong, and I feel like this is something that happens to some extent at ever med school)

Final comments: It's really hard to choose because I know both do very well in the match, and I think COA is roughly the same for IS students? (unless i'm wrong, pls lmk). I also believe both are the same in terms of how much aid they provide? (again, if i'm wrong lmk!). And currently, I like both schools. It's going to be really hard to choose. Unless y'all make it easier for me lol

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I thought Rutgers RWJ had a much better interview day. NJMS gave me the least amount of information out of all of the interviews I attended. Shortest interview and I feel like I don’t know that much about the school?

Based on the interview and on communications with NJMS, I can already tell they aren’t the most organized. I think it is likely to be as bad as a student.

I still really like them though lol I saw on MSAR that they are true P/F and that they don’t rank. Where did you see that they do?

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I thought Rutgers RWJ had a much better interview day. NJMS gave me the least amount of information out of all of the interviews I attended. Shortest interview and I feel like I don’t know that much about the school?

Based on the interview and on communications with NJMS, I can already tell they aren’t the most organized. I think it is likely to be as bad as a student.

I still really like them though lol I saw on MSAR that they are true P/F and that they don’t rank. Where did you see that they do?
It says they rank on their website and I was told by current students it is actually switching to Honor/HP/P/F after body system for M1 and M2. This switch starts for incoming M1s, which would be us. But yes, it was also my shortest interview day and I had that similar feeling of not knowing much.

It says they rank on their website and I was told by current students it is actually switching to Honor/HP/P/F after body system for M1 and M2. This switch starts for incoming M1s, which would be us. But yes, it was also my shortest interview day and I had that similar feeling of not knowing much.
Thanks so much for the info! I wish MSAR was updated.

If it was staying true P/F for preclerkships and no ranking, I’d say 100% go for NJMS especially because staying with your sibling seems very important to you, but OP you will have to figure out what matters more. To me, true P/F and no ranking are most important because we already made it and I don’t want a competitive environment.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the info! I wish MSAR was updated.

If it was staying true P/F for preclerkships and no ranking, I’d say 100% go for NJMS especially because staying with your sibling seems very important to you, but OP you will have to figure out what matters more. To me, true P/F and no ranking are most important because we already made it and I don’t want a competitive environment.
Very true! The grading scheme is definitely something to consider!

It sounds like you have a guaranteed support system at Rutgers RWJ with home right there and people you know who are already in school. Also your sibling still has a chance to get in there and I wouldn’t say they’re guaranteed at NJMS unless there’s some kind of program or something.

Your cons are essentially that you don’t know if you’ll like being in the same place again. I would do RWJSM.