RWJMS vs NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njdmb820

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What do you think about this one? I'm in state, so money isn't a factor for either. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat! I've been trying to decide between the two for a few months now. Based on reputation, I think Robert Wood is a little more stable. I'm worried that if I went to NJMS, certain programs in the hospital may be cut within the next 4 years. On the other hand, I really did enjoy NJMS when I visited, and the students seem to be very happy. What were other people's impressions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although both schools are great, I prefer NJMS due to the excellent clinical experiences during the first 2 years. Also, I got a "warmer" feeling from the faculty/staff. It seems that NJMS tries to do everything they can to help their students.

i'm a big njms fan (90% sure i'm going there), but for whatever reason every commercial i hear on the radio is for RWJ hospitals... where is the njms love? it makes me wonder just a little bit everytime i hear one of their ads.

RWJ has a better rep. in general, but this is mostly in regards to research. The student population at that school has a higher GPA/MCAT (I believe). NJMS, on the other hands, is popular for its clinical experience. Both ways, however, I don't think you can go wrong.
Yet, looking into the future, there could be some changes. For one, there has been quite a push to combine Rutgers-Newark, NJIT, and NJMS into one school. This would substantially boost NJMS in some aspects, but have drawbacks in others. Yet, I'm not so sure whether this would happen during the years that you would be there, but Rutgers seems to be pushing for it.

RWJ has a better rep. in general, but this is mostly in regards to research. The student population at that school has a higher GPA/MCAT (I believe).

their gpa/mcat is actually about the same, surprisingly.

NJMS without hesitation.

RWJ has a better rep. in general, but this is mostly in regards to research. The student population at that school has a higher GPA/MCAT (I believe). NJMS, on the other hands, is popular for its clinical experience. Both ways, however, I don't think you can go wrong.
Yet, looking into the future, there could be some changes. For one, there has been quite a push to combine Rutgers-Newark, NJIT, and NJMS into one school. This would substantially boost NJMS in some aspects, but have drawbacks in others. Yet, I'm not so sure whether this would happen during the years that you would be there, but Rutgers seems to be pushing for it.

Actually under this plan, RWJ would be included in the new 'mega school' as well, so this wouldn't be a differentiator between RWJ and NJMS.

Here are the differences between the 2 Schools:

RWJMS: has a high rep cuz of the RWJ Foundation but has nothing to do with it, has a large research infrastructure (Rutgers Univ, CABM, Waksman Institute, Princeton Univ), is in New Brunswick (a really nice city), no shelf exams, 10 weeks of electives during the third year (sweet!!!), some people have to go to Camden which was once america's most dangerous city, clinical rotations are done at RWJUH ( Level 1 Trauma Center), Cooper Hospital (another Level 1 Trauma center in camden), Princeton General, Jersey Shore Medical Center, Muhlenberg Med Center, NJ Cancer Center; have block exams (which is good in way to have exams at the same time), no housing provided. However you can use Rutgers gyms, student centers, libraries etc. Since all of the teaching hospitals are private, there is no scutwork. 4th year required clerkships are advanced ambulatory medicine, advanced surgery clerkship (which sux for people not interested in surgery) and neurology

NJMS: has a very large clinical infrastructure (Doctors Office Center, OSCE training site plus a rich patient diversity), is in Newark (a big gangsta city), social life includes Hoboken and NYC, students here have shelf exams which sux but no block exams thank god!, only 3 weeks of elective time during the third year, clinical rotations are done at Univ Hospital (NJs biggest Level 1 trauma center), some VA hospitals, Morristown Memorial, Hackensack Med Center, Overlook Hospital, Jersey City Med Center (for OB/GYN), St. Michaels; on campus dorms and since some of the hospitals are public there will be some scutwork. We also have lots of clinical experience first year (EMIG shadowing, SHARE family clinic, preceptorships etc) 4th year required clerkships are Emergency Medicine, PM & R and Neurology

I have been living in Newark for the past 2 years and its a quiet city as long as u stay indoors...and even if u do venture outside at night try to be at public places