RWJMS Waiting!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's hear from any non-NJ residents that were interviewed/accepted at UMDNJ-SOM. When did you finish your secondary? What are your stats? When did you interview/get accepted?
As a NYC resident with soon-to-be family-in-law very close to Newark, it's not unreasonable for me to expect that I may eventually move to NJ. Worded a little more definitively, I hoped that would be a persuasive argument for the SOM adcom. I would LOVE to go there- almost-family in the area, easy PATH ride from where I live now, and I even have a couple friends that go/are going to go there.
So, the questions remains- do I still have a chance?? Seriously, for the out-of-staters, I'd love to hear what you stats are, just to get an idea of what they're looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

hey..
i interviewed 9/11 at RWJ, got the competitive pool letter 10/15ish and got accepted sometime in nov.
yay!

good luck~, maybe we'll be classmates~
eunice

Originally posted by shreebee
I interviewed on November 26 and just received the "very competitive category" letter today. Has anyone been accepted who has received this letter or is it basically a waitlist letter? How long did it take to hear back from the secondary committee?

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by HouseHead
Let's hear from any non-NJ residents that were interviewed/accepted at UMDNJ-SOM. When did you finish your secondary? What are your stats? When did you interview/get accepted?
As a NYC resident with soon-to-be family-in-law very close to Newark, it's not unreasonable for me to expect that I may eventually move to NJ. Worded a little more definitively, I hoped that would be a persuasive argument for the SOM adcom. I would LOVE to go there- almost-family in the area, easy PATH ride from where I live now, and I even have a couple friends that go/are going to go there.
So, the questions remains- do I still have a chance?? Seriously, for the out-of-staters, I'd love to hear what you stats are, just to get an idea of what they're looking for.

i think that you are slightly confused as to which UMDNJ is which. The UMDNJ school in Newark is New Jersey Medical School (NJMS).

The one in New Brunswick is UMDNJ- Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ)

The one in Statford (near camden) is UMDNJ- School of Osteopathic Medicine (SOM).

As far as out of staters- the UMDNJ system is VERY partial towards in state residents.... like 97% of the class is in-state. Explain your situation to the adcoms & see what they say.

~smilez

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by smilez428
i think that you are slightly confused as to which UMDNJ is which. The UMDNJ school in Newark is New Jersey Medical School (NJMS).

The one in New Brunswick is UMDNJ- Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ)

The one in Statford (near camden) is UMDNJ- School of Osteopathic Medicine (SOM).

As far as out of staters- the UMDNJ system is VERY partial towards in state residents.... like 97% of the class is in-state. Explain your situation to the adcoms & see what they say.

~smilez

Gotcha. Thought people were refering to UMDNJ-NJMS as SOM for some reason (couldn't figure out why...). So, the post should have read UMDNJ-NJMS, not UMDNJ-SOM.
There is actually a section on the secondary if you're out-of-state that asks what makes your out-of-state app unique, and I explained the whole fiance/family/eventually gonna live and practice there thing. Guess it wasn't terribly compelling; that's why I'd like to make another go of it with my update letter.
It sucks that my state schools (the SUNYs) no longer show in-state preference! Totally messes with the playing field for NY residents... :mad:

Hi!
I'd like to explain the 97% in-state rate, from what I was told from a student who goes to njms. It is also alluded to on their website. New Jersey has a very lenient in-state tuition policy - all you have to do is move to the state 1 month before class starts and you qualify as an 'in-state-er'. Therefore, the 97% may not be real nj residents.

Thanks Eunice!

Congratulations on being accepted! It's good to hear that someone who received that letter was accepted. I hope I get in too...RWJ is my first choice!

I received another letter from RWJ wanting my grades from this semester b/c I'm doing the Masters program at Georgetown. Here are my grades:

Embryology: B
Medical Immunology and Microbiology: B+
Cell and Molecular Physiology: A
Biomedical Career Pathways: A
Histology: Not sure yet, but I think a B or B+

My gpa if I get a B in histology would be a 3.43 and a 3.52 if I get a B+.

Do you guys think my grades will help or hurt me???

oh no, they want 1st sem grades??
has everyone else waiting to hear from them gotten this letter too??
eek.

Care bear,

I think they specifically want my grades since I'm in a Masters program where I take medical school courses with the first year med students at Georgetown. They want to see how I'm doing in med courses...at least that's what I'm assuming.

Well, wouldn't you know... I got an interview at RWJ!! I can't believe it! They are the last school from which I expected to get an invite...
I called today (okay, yesterday) to check on my application status because I hadn't heard anything since receiving my secondary. They said they were sending me an interview invite, so why not schedule it right then?
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Unfortunately, I had to schedule it for late January because I am scheduled to be out of the area for the next 3 weeks. I knew I should have cancelled my trip!!
Anyone have any guesses as to whether this will be a waitlist interview?

I interviewed at RWJ on Nov. 5th and still haven't heard anything, not even one of those "very competitive category" letters.

I called today and was told my application would probably go up for review at the January 9th committee meeting.

So, just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else who's waiting like me.

Good luck everyone!

i just got my results form the jan. 9th meeting. . . a 'very competitive category' letter.

still hoping for the best. . .i wanna be a jersey girl!

Has anyone heard anything recently about RWJ's waitlist?

Shreebee

i recently got a letter saying that from the way the wait list is moving i was being moved off of the wait list and being rejected. so i guess if you havent gotten one of those letters, you are not too bad off. i just dont understand why they got my hopes up but sending me a letter a while back telling me i was in there highly competitve category. oh well, still waiting on NJMS now.

I'm sorry hiphopcutie,

I hope things work out w/ NJ Med. If things don't move with RWJ, we could be classmates at NJ Med =). Good Luck!

Shreebee

Originally posted by Curci
Well, RWJ and NJMS are both considered good schools, and I think that which one is "better" depends on what factors you think are most important to a medical school. NJMS is in a kinda crummy area, but this also gives you the oportunity to get LOTS of good clinical experience. They're also constructing some new research buildings. RWJ is in a nice, quiet area, and they're working on adding a huge new research tower. They have a little bit of a better reputation for research, I think. But, from what I've heard, the clinical experience you get at NJMS is the best in the state, so I, personally, would pick NJMS over RWJ.

And I guess it's a good thing that my preference falls this way, since I have not received a "we'll be making a decision soon" letter. I guess that's not good news? :oops: Although they definitely did tell us on our interview day that they wouldn't send our decisions out until after November 1st... Maybe I'm just being evaluated with a later group? Strange.

I think the better clinical exp. in newark is not all its worked up to be. personally, i wouldn't base my decision on clinical exp. of newark versus new brunswick. in both plases you get to see a lot. i believe it is true that rwj has a better reputation in terms of the quality of students that attend there and the faculty.