?s about Pharm School - Computers, Tape Recorders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomaCNS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying to attend pharmacy school in 2009, but have some questions:

1. Do you use computers in your classes? Do the schools have you order a computer through them or do they provide you with a listing of necessary specifications? For example, I saw on UNC's site that they prefer you order a computer through them so that it is compatible with their server. Essentially, I'm wondering if it'd be better for me to purchase a computer now (as my current computer is having multiple problems) or postpone buying until closer to when I start to ensure that it conforms to the school's requirements.

2. Are you allowed to tape record lectures so that you can listen to them later? Do students typically do this?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I'm not sure about the computers question... the school I attend (MWU-CCP) doesn't require students to have their own computers.

2. It's pretty common for students to tape-record lectures esp in Pharmacotherapeutics and Pharmacology. I found it to be very helpful since I'm the the type who tends to zone out and fall asleep every so often, haha. Anyway, you should check out your school's handbook and make sure it's allowed and what steps you need to take in order to record. At MWU, students need to get the approval of each lecturer before recording.

Also, don't go recording-crazy... some of my classmates and I would record most lectures but just ended up falling behind since we didn't have to time to listen to each lecture over again. So beware that it can be time consuming to re-listen to lectures. A good trick is to play lectures back on double the speed.

My school provides brand new laptops with Microsoft Office '07 software and the school's software. All of our classes use blackboard for powerpoint lectures, which are video recorded. If you miss something in class or found it confusing, you can go back and view the entire lecture in 1/2 screen with the other 1/2 screen showing the powerpoint slide the professor was talking about. Amazing stuff! I love my school!

My school provides brand new laptops with Microsoft Office '07 software and the school's software. All of our classes use blackboard for powerpoint lectures, which are video recorded. If you miss something in class or found it confusing, you can go back and view the entire lecture in 1/2 screen with the other 1/2 screen showing the powerpoint slide the professor was talking about. Amazing stuff! I love my school!

Wow, you guys are hi-tech; I'm jealous. That means you don't really even need to attend lectures :] Hmm, what school do you go to? And do you know if they post lectures as Podcasts or on iTunesU?