S/U or letter grade?

Started by cmt2013
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cmt2013

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok this may seem like a silly question

I am in my first semester of a DIY post bac and was advised to take a class called "Research Methods and Designs" by my advisor since it's supposed to prep students for the 2015 MCAT. It's the first time the class has been offered and unfortunately, a majority of the class is not doing well in the course. I currently have a low B in the course, and I've seen repeatedly on this site that anything below an A is a step away from medical school (I am already stressed about other 2 science courses I'm taking where I have a B but an A is within reach)

The professor gave us an option to take an S/U grade but I am not at all familiar with how that will look. Supposedly it doesn't affect your GPA if you decide to take S/U rather than a letter grade. Is it better to receive a letter grade that is less than an A or better to take an S on your transcript instead?