s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lab 1 or Lab 2

• lab 1

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • lab 2

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NALOL>>EU

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there any postdoc or collaborator from your previous lab that you got along with who could write you a recommendation? Not as good as a letter from the PI obviously, but it can help account for all the time you spend in that lab.

Many of us had been in labs where things just didn't work out for various reasons, but moved on and had great experiences with other mentors. You just have to be honest and self reflective yet diplomatic about why you had to leave. Not everybody works well in overly competitive environments. Great science are done by smaller research groups too.

Research labs can be very hierarchal where undergrads are at the bottom of the ladder, always getting picked on. The clinical world is very hierarchal too. So think of it not as a complete loss but as a learning experience that's better preparing you to work with people.

I would list the tech position and describe what you learned/did, but not as one of your significant experiences. Use your undergrad lab as your major research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be a bit of a contrarian and vote lab #1. Like Sinatra says in NY/NY if you can succeed there, you can succeed anywhere, and if you spin your wheels and don't link up with a grad student or post-doc to do something meaningful/substantial then maybe MD/PhD is not for you. Better find out now then later with more sunk costs.

However, I'd caution that working in the lab for one year is a significant experience. Was this full time work?

It will be a red flag for MSTP programs, and you must get a letter from the PI.