Saba Med School Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yosef12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into SABA? Currently I have:

3.45 Cum
3.4 Science
Bachelors in science Zoology
Mcat (New & First time): 485
Volunteering: Over 200 Hours at a level 1 trauma center ER
Over 170 Hours of physician shadowing
Over 200 hours of clinical volunteering
Tutored in the past at a community college with great success stories

Before you start please let me emphasize that the lowest grade I ever got in my undergrad was a B. Currently right now I am trying to deal with my mortal wound of a MCAT. If I were to retake I would have to do it in 2 years simply because I cannot waste the money and risks taking it another time just to get a bad score without enough preparation. I have already applied to AUA and I am hoping they will accept me as well, but Saba is my first choice. (I have very little expectations of applying anywhere else). Simply, I go the FMG route simply because if I were to retake the mcat or become a FMG I would already be done with step 1 or possible be in my 3rd year of medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

3.45 Cum
3.4 Science

Before you start please let me emphasize that the lowest grade I ever got in my undergrad was a B. Currently right now I am trying to deal with my mortal wound of a MCAT. If I were to retake I would have to do it in 2 years simply because I cannot waste the money and risks taking it another time just to get a bad score without enough preparation. I have already applied to AUA and I am hoping they will accept me as well, but Saba is my first choice. (I have very little expectations of applying anywhere else). Simply, I go the FMG route simply because if I were to retake the mcat or become a FMG I would already be done with step 1 or possible be in my 3rd year of medical school.

If you rush it and go to Saba now, you may take an extra year or two to finish and apply for residency. Then due to your school and possibly you step scores you may not match the first time around. Already you are two years behind and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Compare that to spending a year or two making a strong application, applying to a US M.D. or DO school, graduating in for years and matching straight into a nice residency. You may even finish earlier than the Caribbean route even if you start there sooner. I know which option I'd take..

Reactions: 2 users
If you rush it and go to Saba now, you may take an extra year or two to finish and apply for residency. Then due to your school and possibly you step scores you may not match the first time around. Already you are two years behind and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Compare that to spending a year or two making a strong application, applying to a US M.D. or DO school, graduating in for years and matching straight into a nice residency. You may even finish earlier than the Caribbean route even if you start there sooner. I know which option I'd take..
I was told simply because I took a few classes at a community college before transferring to my university to get my associates + bachelors that my chances are extremely low of getting into a US school. This was a premed advisor and another the wife of a board member for one of the nearby med schools who is also a physician. Ive had doctors where I live and family members who have gone the foreign route end up with great success as well. I understand your concern, but I am already two years behind because my mother held me back two years in elementary school to get back at my father during the divorce (obviously we aren't on speaking terms anymore) I am getting tired of waiting. I am also looking into primary care as my goal which I would be happy with (I hope to get into internal medicine some day).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty I think the one thing that might be shining on my application is that my major is a science major + I have taken a huge load of science courses (Mostly in biology). That & after my two semesters are over my science GPA and cum will be even higher (I am getting 3.8-4.0s at this university.)

I was told simply because I took a few classes at a community college before transferring to my university to get my associates + bachelors that my chances are extremely low of getting into a US school. This was a premed advisor and another the wife of a board member for one of the nearby med schools who is also a physician. Ive had doctors where I live and family members who have gone the foreign route end up with great success as well. I understand your concern, but I am already two years behind because my mother held me back two years in elementary school to get back at my father during the divorce (obviously we aren't on speaking terms anymore) I am getting tired of waiting. I am also looking into primary care as my goal which I would be happy with (I hope to get into internal medicine some day).

Yeah this is incorrect.
Check around the MD/DO threads if you wish. Taking a few community college classes is generally not held against you. It's actually very common for DO applicants to upgrade their marks in community colleges prior to applying since the courses are cheaper. Re-take the MCAT, get a 500, apply DO. If you still don't get in, only then consider the Caribbean if you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah this is incorrect.
Check around the MD/DO threads if you wish. Taking a few community college classes is generally not held against you. It's actually very common for DO applicants to upgrade their marks in community colleges prior to applying since the courses are cheaper. Re-take the MCAT, get a 500, apply DO. If you still don't get in, only then consider the Caribbean if you want.
Do you think I would actually have a shot at MD schools in my state (Illinois) or any other state if I took two years off for some research and mcat prep (Two years obviously because of how the application cycle works). Im not saying I wouldn't go DO if I had a chance, but if you can get a MD then why not right? Less time spent explaining your degree to patients. Also would you have any advice on mcat prep? I took a kaplan course and ended up basically wasting 2.5 grand.. I am a fantastic self study person (in my opinion) and kaplan just doesn't teach it like that.

Do you think I would actually have a shot at MD schools in my state (Illinois) or any other state if I took two years off for some research and mcat prep (Two years obviously because of how the application cycle works). Im not saying I wouldn't go DO if I had a chance, but if you can get a MD then why not right? Less time spent explaining your degree to patients. Also would you have any advice on mcat prep? I took a kaplan course and ended up basically wasting 2.5 grand.. I am a fantastic self study person (in my opinion) and kaplan just doesn't teach it like that.

I'm not the best person for MCAT advices to be honest. I'm taking mine in September and my practice scores has been hovering around just ~498. If i had to guess, your 485 is probably a reflection of your weakness in content. Take 3-4 months off + Pick a set of books you're comfortable with (NOT ExamKrackers if you're weak on content) + and most importantly do TONS of practice problems. Once you're done all of that, try doing 5-10 full length practice tests. Check out the MCAT Discussions sub-forum there's a wealth of information there.

These advisers are wrong. Med schools won't hurt you for taking some classes at CC before transferring to a university. Offshore options were a reasonable option in the past. Now there are alot of risks to them and no guarantee of being able to practice.

You seem rather caught up in getting to med school RIGHT NOW!!!!! If you went straight through with the extra two years when you were young, you're likely 24 or 25 right now. If you take two more years, that makes you 26-27 to start med school. The average age of people starting at my med school was 26. There were plenty in their 30s and even older as classmates.

Residency PDs and committees will look down on IMGs as a whole compared to US MD/DO students. If the student does do well on boards and other grades and exams, they will wonder why the student went to an offshore school. Reasons can include parental pressure, lack of insight, and inability to delay gratification by not making your application the best possible. Many places will filter you out entirely just because you went offshore for school. You say you want primary care, but you might get the bug to do something different as you go through at many of those doors end up being closed before you even apply.

Like I said earlier, you go to Saba next year, but then it takes you 5-6 years to finish. Then you don't match the first time and you have to apply again. Now you have spent 6-7 years before possibly getting your chance to start residency. That residency may be in a location and field that you don't even want to go into.

Compare that to spending 2 years to beef up your application and getting a good MCAT score. You enter med school (MD or DO) and get done in 4 years. You apply to med school directly and get a spot. That means you have spent 6 years to get to start residency. The same or shorter than going to Saba.

With your GPA, you have a chance at some MD schools depending on your MCAT. You have an even stronger chance at a DO school, though you will still need a higher MCAT score. If you get through a couple of cycles of US school apps without luck, then consider off shore schools. You're risking a 50% or so chance of starting school and subsequently getting a residency spot somewhere with $250,000+ debt. Think carefully.

These advisers are wrong. Med schools won't hurt you for taking some classes at CC before transferring to a university. Offshore options were a reasonable option in the past. Now there are alot of risks to them and no guarantee of being able to practice.

You seem rather caught up in getting to med school RIGHT NOW!!!!! If you went straight through with the extra two years when you were young, you're likely 24 or 25 right now. If you take two more years, that makes you 26-27 to start med school. The average age of people starting at my med school was 26. There were plenty in their 30s and even older as classmates.

Residency PDs and committees will look down on IMGs as a whole compared to US MD/DO students. If the student does do well on boards and other grades and exams, they will wonder why the student went to an offshore school. Reasons can include parental pressure, lack of insight, and inability to delay gratification by not making your application the best possible. Many places will filter you out entirely just because you went offshore for school. You say you want primary care, but you might get the bug to do something different as you go through at many of those doors end up being closed before you even apply.

Like I said earlier, you go to Saba next year, but then it takes you 5-6 years to finish. Then you don't match the first time and you have to apply again. Now you have spent 6-7 years before possibly getting your chance to start residency. That residency may be in a location and field that you don't even want to go into.

Compare that to spending 2 years to beef up your application and getting a good MCAT score. You enter med school (MD or DO) and get done in 4 years. You apply to med school directly and get a spot. That means you have spent 6 years to get to start residency. The same or shorter than going to Saba.

With your GPA, you have a chance at some MD schools depending on your MCAT. You have an even stronger chance at a DO school, though you will still need a higher MCAT score. If you get through a couple of cycles of US school apps without luck, then consider off shore schools. You're risking a 50% or so chance of starting school and subsequently getting a residency spot somewhere with $250,000+ debt. Think carefully.
If I were to go to SABA they are one of the big 4 for caribbean schools. So far most students have come out within 3.5 years and 4 years of that school. I am assuming when you say about the 5-6 years to finish you are referring to clinical rotation issues. Saba has pretty good clinical rotations with no to little wait time. Saba has good matches for residency as well and if one destroys the step 1 exam those chances are even better. I really do understand what you are trying to say though I really do feel like I am doing myself a disservice due to my major, academic history, and ECs. Its just ive have friends who went to the university of hamburg that came back and became pulmonologists,etc. I also know a couple of doctors that went to places such as Ross and SGU (Fat chance with my mcat though) with good success. In fact I think SGU even states around a 80% match rate for residencies on their website. Saba is part of the Big 4 though once again (SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba) and I would probably rank them in that order of success as well. Ive spent so much money so far and I really have no idea how to even tackle the mcat anymore after I failed with kaplan. My Scores were 32% average on all sections except for biochem which was like 3% and if it wasn't for that id probably have a 495.

Also Saba has pretty cheap tuition costs id be like 150,000$ in debt in the end. I really do get what you are trying to say though, but I just dont feel confident in myself after my mcat score. Lately ive just been feeling like a failure with no direction on how to approach the mcat. Im absolutely terrified of retaking it and maybe only getting 5 points higher which would be even worse (Both for loss of time + lack of improvement).

If I were to go to SABA they are one of the big 4 for caribbean schools. So far most students have come out within 3.5 years and 4 years of that school. I am assuming when you say about the 5-6 years to finish you are referring to clinical rotation issues. Saba has pretty good clinical rotations with no to little wait time. Saba has good matches for residency as well and if one destroys the step 1 exam those chances are even better. I really do understand what you are trying to say though I really do feel like I am doing myself a disservice due to my major, academic history, and ECs. Its just ive have friends who went to the university of hamburg that came back and became pulmonologists,etc. I also know a couple of doctors that went to places such as Ross and SGU (Fat chance with my mcat though) with good success. In fact I think SGU even states around a 80% match rate for residencies on their website. Saba is part of the Big 4 though once again (SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba) and I would probably rank them in that order of success as well. Ive spent so much money so far and I really have no idea how to even tackle the mcat anymore after I failed with kaplan. My Scores were 32% average on all sections except for biochem which was like 3% and if it wasn't for that id probably have a 495.

Also Saba has pretty cheap tuition costs id be like 150,000$ in debt in the end. I really do get what you are trying to say though, but I just dont feel confident in myself after my mcat score. Lately ive just been feeling like a failure with no direction on how to approach the mcat. Im absolutely terrified of retaking it and maybe only getting 5 points higher which would be even worse (Both for loss of time + lack of improvement).

It seems like a significant number of people in the Caribbean, including the big 4, end up taking longer than four years to finish. This can be due to not being able to take Steps on time or getting your rotations on schedule, or any variety of other issues. Your major and choice of schools are not a disservice. Going to the Caribbean without a solid try at US schools is a disservice.

Yes, you know people that had success. It's getting more and more competitive and the number of US grads is increasing faster than the number of residency spots. That means that it will be harder for IMGs to get spots.

You can't trust the stats of these schools they put on their websites because they don't tell the true story. They don't tell about the number of people that start that end up actually finishing, because those numbers aren't good. Even if you go by the 80% number, the US match rate is over 95%. Yes, your debt at Saba may be lower than at SGU or Ross, but if you don't get a residency spot, then you have a big debt with little to no chance of a high paying job. Do you want to risk that? You say you want to destroy Step 1, but as your MCAT score showed, you had trouble with the exam. Take that offshore and you are at a high risk of scoring low on this exam. A low step score is killer for an IMG. A low step score for US grads is not.

What can you do? Read the MCAT forum and read what people have done. Ask some questions there. If Biochem is an issue, maybe take a biochem course as a refresher. I assume you have taken that course prior to taking the MCAT...

It seems like a significant number of people in the Caribbean, including the big 4, end up taking longer than four years to finish. This can be due to not being able to take Steps on time or getting your rotations on schedule, or any variety of other issues. Your major and choice of schools are not a disservice. Going to the Caribbean without a solid try at US schools is a disservice.

Yes, you know people that had success. It's getting more and more competitive and the number of US grads is increasing faster than the number of residency spots. That means that it will be harder for IMGs to get spots.

You can't trust the stats of these schools they put on their websites because they don't tell the true story. They don't tell about the number of people that start that end up actually finishing, because those numbers aren't good. Even if you go by the 80% number, the US match rate is over 95%. Yes, your debt at Saba may be lower than at SGU or Ross, but if you don't get a residency spot, then you have a big debt with little to no chance of a high paying job. Do you want to risk that? You say you want to destroy Step 1, but as your MCAT score showed, you had trouble with the exam. Take that offshore and you are at a high risk of scoring low on this exam. A low step score is killer for an IMG. A low step score for US grads is not.

What can you do? Read the MCAT forum and read what people have done. Ask some questions there. If Biochem is an issue, maybe take a biochem course as a refresher. I assume you have taken that course prior to taking the MCAT...
I haven't taken biochem simply because I wouldn't have been able to get my bachelors on time if I did and I was recommended not to take it by certain health professionals. They had claimed that you only learn clinical biochem in med school and in the university you learn the whole field. Honestly though from what ive been reading on here and hearing from SGU the advice these premed communities and health professionals have been giving me just sounds like its completely wrong. That was my huge issue a long with a lack of a plan for my mcat. Perhaps its best for me to retake it this coming january, but while I do that and prep for it.. It can't hurt to still apply to Saba and other schools in the caribbean correct? I mean caribbean schools can take applicants much later in the cycle whereas AAMCAS + AACOMAS requires the applications to be sent around september-dec of the previous year. Hell if I do good I simply withdraw my application then and take a poke at DO.

Disregard this post I typed right here after my previous one, for some reason it posted the same reply twice.

It's also rumored to be the most "weed-out" school out of the big 4, though i'm not sure how true that is. From my friends that made it from there (i'm Canadian and literally 70% of the students in Saba are Canadian), i was told that a lot of people "decel" and take longer than 5 semesters to finish the basic sciences. You probably wouldn't be this dejected and in a rush if it wasn't for the expensive Kaplan course. Just take 3-4 months off and self-study your butt off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken biochem simply because I wouldn't have been able to get my bachelors on time if I did and I was recommended not to take it by certain health professionals. They had claimed that you only learn clinical biochem in med school and in the university you learn the whole field. Honestly though from what ive been reading on here and hearing from SGU the advice these premed communities and health professionals have been giving me just sounds like its completely wrong. That was my huge issue a long with a lack of a plan for my mcat. Perhaps its best for me to retake it this coming january, but while I do that and prep for it.. It can't hurt to still apply to Saba and other schools in the caribbean correct? I mean caribbean schools can take applicants much later in the cycle whereas AAMCAS + AACOMAS requires the applications to be sent around september-dec of the previous year. Hell if I do good I simply withdraw my application then and take a poke at DO.

Ok, stop. Do not sign up for another MCAT until you are ready to take it. You have one bad score. You do not want to have another one on your record. I would suggest that given your prior score that you take Biochem. Whoever your advisers have been, they are killing you with their recommendations. Who cares if the biochem in med school may be different than college (it's not really all that different)? It's on the MCAT now. If you want to succeed, you need to know the material.

As to can it hurt to apply? No, it can't hurt, except that they will probably accept you. Then you'll have that acceptance in hand and maybe you'll just feel that since you have it that you'll just skip making your application better and just go for it. That would be a disaster. If you go to a caribbean school and then decide that you would rather go for a US school, you won't be able to. They always ask if you've been in a medical school before and its not something you'll be able to hide. Applications usually are started in June or July. You need to be ready to have your application in within a week or two of the application opening. Do not wait until September to apply. Med schools work on rolling admissions and you have your best chance of getting in with the earliest application

Again, you need to wait to apply until you have the best application possible. You do not want to be a reapplicant if you can help it. Check out the pre-allo and pre-osteo forums and their "What are my chances" threads. Read through them, you may see others with similar stats to you. There are adcoms for both sides of medicine active on these forums and once you get your new MCAT taken and scored can help you towards finding the appropriate schools to apply to. The MSAR can be obtained that gives you stats on acceptances at different schools so you can figure out which schools you are competitive for.

Put the Caribbean out of your mind for now. Until you've gone through 2 cycles with no luck, I wouldn't even bother.

Check out this link for some sobering realities of the Caribbean:

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/it-doesnt-get-better/

Your MCAT score is lethal for an MD or DO school.

Retake the MCAT and save yourself a lot of woe, unless you really like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt.

If you have test-taking anxiety issues, those can be fixed.

Otherwise, work on your deficits and then re-take the mCAT. Your GPAs aren't the issue.

Carib schools prey upon desperate, gullible people like you.

FYI, an American med school with match rates like this would be shut down by LCME or COCA. SABA is under no obligation to tell you the truth, either, since truth in advertising laws don't apply to them.

In fact I think SGU even states around a 80% match rate for residencies on their website.

Alright you guys have convinced me. So I am just going to bump all my applications a semester further away (caribbean apps). Prep and retake the mcat at a date I feel comfortable at (most likely september). By then I should have enough time to know whether ill make it into a DO or not when I get my scores back. Honestly when I really think about it my score was due to lack of preparation. I really only had two weeks of time to prep due to complications going on during the summer. I just couldn't forgive myself and with the matching issues you guys have laid out it seems like the smartest decision. That and then I won't have to deal with that "Oh you're a caribbean?" attitude from nurses. Honestly though aside from my mcat do you guys think my stats are pretty strong for a DO?

P.S. My GPA has been rising substantially still and I did do most of my rereqs at a community college before I got into my university.

Alright you guys have convinced me. So I am just going to bump all my applications a semester further away (caribbean apps). Prep and retake the mcat at a date I feel comfortable at (most likely september). By then I should have enough time to know whether ill make it into a DO or not when I get my scores back. Honestly when I really think about it my score was due to lack of preparation. I really only had two weeks of time to prep due to complications going on during the summer. I just couldn't forgive myself and with the matching issues you guys have laid out it seems like the smartest decision. That and then I won't have to deal with that "Oh you're a caribbean?" attitude from nurses. Honestly though aside from my mcat do you guys think my stats are pretty strong for a DO?

P.S. My GPA has been rising substantially still and I did do most of my rereqs at a community college before I got into my university.

Well, @Goro is a DO adcom. As he said, your issue is the MCAT. Get that up to standard and you have a very reasonable shot at DO and potentially even some MD schools. It's worth a couple of rounds applying stateside before even sending off to the Caribbean. They will take you. You have a pulse and a wallet, so you'll get in somewhere out there.

In the meantime, keep up with your shadowing and volunteering so that they see you remain engaged. Taking prereqs at CC isn't as good as taking them all at the university, but taking upper level university classes in the same field really helps to make up for that, so I wouldn't get too worried.

I did my first 2 years at a CC and I am attending a US MD school now.

Reactions: 2 users

3.45 Cum
3.4 Science

485 is really low. No business applying anywhere with a score like that. The tests are only going to get harder in med school so you need to be able to prove that you can handle the MCAT. Give yourself at least 3 months to study full time if you can. Even if you got 32nd percentile on every section besides bio-bio/chem, thats still low. Sounds like every section needs work. Trust me I've been there. I've taken the MCAT 3x. Nothing wrong with taking it again if you need to.

If you did kaplan you should have access to their online portal. Reread all the book chapters slowly and do the chapter problems, do questions after each chapter, etc. Make sure you take advantage of all that they have on their portal in terms of practice material. I personally used TPR to prep, and I've heard Kaplan tests are tough, so don't get discouraged but you should be trying to aim close to 500 or high 490s on their tests since their scale is tough. Good luck.

485 is really low. No business applying anywhere with a score like that. The tests are only going to get harder in med school so you need to be able to prove that you can handle the MCAT. Give yourself at least 3 months to study full time if you can. Even if you got 32nd percentile on every section besides bio-bio/chem, thats still low. Sounds like every section needs work. Trust me I've been there. I've taken the MCAT 3x. Nothing wrong with taking it again if you need to.

If you did kaplan you should have access to their online portal. Reread all the book chapters slowly and do the chapter problems, do questions after each chapter, etc. Make sure you take advantage of all that they have on their portal in terms of practice material. I personally used TPR to prep, and I've heard Kaplan tests are tough, so don't get discouraged but you should be trying to aim close to 500 or high 490s on their tests since their scale is tough. Good luck.

Yeah after hearing all the nightmare issues with residency and clinicals people keep bringing up with IMGs it wouldn't hurt to try again. Besides in all honesty I really didn't study, maybe like 2 weeks and that was due to emergency issues. Either way though thats irrelevant because I wasted cash on both a course + test date. Not only that I kind of have a bad test on my permanent record now. I figured I could study from may till maybe august or september. Maybe take the august or september mcat. If by mid june I am feeling good about my scores during my heavy studies I can send in my DO apps with a retake scheduled on them. Really though I still need to figure out my plan. Right now its just going to be reusing my kaplan books and studying them extensively, buying AAMC practice tests (I believe they had something like 20 tests for 25$ really cheap on the AAMC website). What I am really interested in is practice questions before taking a full length. The books have them at the end, but its just not enough. I know Khan Academy has some practice questions you can go through, but the kaplan portal ill have to look into. Im not sure if I have access to that anymore because after my program ran up its time limit it looked like they cut me off from everything. Ill definitely have to do some research on the mcat section of the forums here. Maybe even valuemd has something. At this point im trying to minimize costs which definitely means not looking into buying a prep program again.

Last edited:
Turns out my Kaplan Portal is disabled. Its probably part of the subscription

You shouldn't apply with a mcat pending. You need to have everything ready to submit that first week. If it's pending and you get the result back in August or September it would be as if you just applied in August or September...

You shouldn't apply with a mcat pending. You need to have everything ready to submit that first week. If it's pending and you get the result back in August or September it would be as if you just applied in August or September...
DO schools tend to close cycles around January so I believe its not too late. Maybe if I take it by august and get the scores back by september it wouldn't be too late. Maybe Goro can shed some light on this. In all honesty though thoracic after reading up my posts and knowing I didn't really review the material before the first exam (aside from a diagnostic) and the score I got after (basically guessing and trying to work with no material prep) how long do you think I would need to prepare considering I would start prepping in the first week of may right after I graduate with my bachelors.

Yeah after hearing all the nightmare issues with residency and clinicals people keep bringing up with IMGs it wouldn't hurt to try again. Besides in all honesty I really didn't study, maybe like 2 weeks and that was due to emergency issues. Either way though thats irrelevant because I wasted cash on both a course + test date. Not only that I kind of have a bad test on my permanent record now. I figured I could study from may till maybe august or september. Maybe take the august or september mcat. If by mid june I am feeling good about my scores during my heavy studies I can send in my DO apps with a retake scheduled on them. Really though I still need to figure out my plan. Right now its just going to be reusing my kaplan books and studying them extensively, buying AAMC practice tests (I believe they had something like 20 tests for 25$ really cheap on the AAMC website). What I am really interested in is practice questions before taking a full length. The books have them at the end, but its just not enough. I know Khan Academy has some practice questions you can go through, but the kaplan portal ill have to look into. Im not sure if I have access to that anymore because after my program ran up its time limit it looked like they cut me off from everything. Ill definitely have to do some research on the mcat section of the forums here. Maybe even valuemd has something. At this point im trying to minimize costs which definitely means not looking into buying a prep program again.

Yea plus I honestly don't think SABA would accept you with a 485. If you took a Kaplan course in the past you would have had access to the portal. Call them up and ask them to extend your online access, tell them that you pushed your test date back etc and you want access to the material. Since you paid for it already it shouldn't be a problem. They will usually reopen your portal for you and extend it at least once for free. If they don't do it for free it might be a small fee but still cheaper then re-buying new materials. Kaplan courses won't teach you anything, theres only a few 2 hour classes for each subject on the mcat if I'm not mistaken which just isn't enough to get the needed depth. Thats why I liked TPR because there have a lot more classroom hours. But if you are a self directed studier then kaplan is perfect for you, just use their books and online portal to do practice questions. They have plenty of material for you.

DO schools tend to close cycles around January so I believe its not too late. Maybe if I take it by august and get the scores back by september it wouldn't be too late. Maybe Goro can shed some light on this. In all honesty though thoracic after reading up my posts and knowing I didn't really review the material before the first exam (aside from a diagnostic) and the score I got after (basically guessing and trying to work with no material prep) how long do you think I would need to prepare considering I would start prepping in the first week of may right after I graduate with my bachelors.

He won't be able to answer than. Everyones different. Some people study 3-4 weeks for the MCAT and crush it. Other people study for a year. Only YOU know how much time you need. If you study for too long you risk getting burned out and forgetting stuff you learned earlier in your prep. So you need to find your happy medium by knowing yourself. I think 3-4 months full time is a good solid length personally. If you are graduating in may and have some free electives between now and then consider taking a biochem, cell bio, molecular bio, or genetics class if you have a free elective. Or maybe a psych class. They can't hurt for the MCAT. Probably biochem would be most useful.

Just to add my 2¢ go to a us school! I went the Caribbean route, didn't match first time and ended up not saving any time at all! I know it seems appealing but when you're applying to residency, you're 95% to get a residency, versus 55% Caribbean! I promise! Plus apply to U.S.schools anyways! What's the worst that can happen? You may even get good interview practice out of it

Just to add my 2¢ go to a us school! I went the Caribbean route, didn't match first time and ended up not saving any time at all! I know it seems appealing but when you're applying to residency, you're 95% to get a residency, versus 55% Caribbean! I promise! Plus apply to U.S.schools anyways! What's the worst that can happen? You may even get good interview practice out of it
What did you do the second time around to get landed a residency?

The first time match rate for all US-IMGs (vast majority Caribbean) is 75%, not 55%. Doesn't matter if you promise, it's still factually incorrect. Ross/SGU/AUC (not sure about Saba) have first time match rates 80-90%, Ross' was 88% this year.

Regardless though, the OP should still study again, retake the MCAT, and then go through at least 2 cycles of DO/MD before thinking about the Caribbean.

What did you do the second time around to get landed a residency?
Took step 3, and was ecfmg certified before I applied. I also had a really good personal statement about how I would have done it all over again and not gone to the Caribbean. No joke

The first time match rate for all US-IMGs (vast majority Caribbean) is 75%, not 55%. Doesn't matter if you promise, it's still factually incorrect. Ross/SGU/AUC (not sure about Saba) have first time match rates 80-90%, Ross' was 88% this year.

Regardless though, the OP should still study again, retake the MCAT, and then go through at least 2 cycles of DO/MD before thinking about the Caribbean.
Those are their numbers, you can't trust those and they have no proof to back that up. You just have to take the president of Ross at his word. Which is of course the choice of the OP.
What you do have is the nrmp factual data which says otherwise. Granted I was referring to the whole img category and not us img or Caribbean us img. But having gone through the Caribbean process, you develop a healthy level of skepticism when the numbers sound too good to be true. It's because they are.

Took step 3, and was ecfmg certified before I applied. I also had a really good personal statement about how I would have done it all over again and not gone to the Caribbean. No joke
I am glad things turned out ok for you, but I have a friend who did not have that good of a fortune, albeit he became a GP (true GP with 2-year internship) and got a very nice job recently.

Out of curiosity what school did you go to?
And yeah my mind still is made up on retaking its more of a personal thing now. (Step 1 is just another standardized test coming next I might as well get used to it). The more doors that are opened to me the better. I remember someone on the forums discussing how 180 was a pass for step 1 and generally you want a 230+. They said how a AMG can get a above average score and land a residency no problem while a IMG is pretty much stuck in a ditch with a above average score.

Also, because it can't be said enough- enjoying a year of your life while taking the MCAT is hardly the end of the world. Not matching because you are a FMG is the damn near the end of the world for many. You will forever regret not getting the specialty of your choice if you go Carib and do match, and will hate your younger self for the rest of your days for being so foolish, mark my words.

Reactions: 1 users
Out of curiosity what school did you go to?
And yeah my mind still is made up on retaking its more of a personal thing now. (Step 1 is just another standardized test coming next I might as well get used to it). The more doors that are opened to me the better. I remember someone on the forums discussing how 180 was a pass for step 1 and generally you want a 230+. They said how a AMG can get a above average score and land a residency no problem while a IMG is pretty much stuck in a ditch with a above average score.
It's not a fair system to be honest... Try your best to get into a US school... It took me a couple of applications and I am a non-trad student that is much more older than you... In fact, if I did not get in the second time, I was ready to do PA or PharmD before going to the Caribbean...

Last edited:
Those are their numbers, you can't trust those and they have no proof to back that up. You just have to take the president of Ross at his word. Which is of course the choice of the OP.
What you do have is the nrmp factual data which says otherwise. Granted I was referring to the whole img category and not us img or Caribbean us img. But having gone through the Caribbean process, you develop a healthy level of skepticism when the numbers sound too good to be true. It's because they are.
I have also gone through the Caribbean process, so please don't imply you have some greater understanding than the rest of us. The Dean/chancellor of Ross is Joseph Flaherty, who before Ross poached him was the dean at the University of Illinois COM. If you want to question his word thats fine, I don't.

The NRMP/ECFMG factual data says 73% of US-IMGs (vast majority of which are Caribbean) that graduated in the past year matched. Someone posted this table in another thread. This includes all the 2nd tier Caribbean schools, etc. It's totally believable that Ross/SGU/AUC would have match rates 80-90% if total US-IMGs in the match for the first time match at 73%.
table.jpg

I think what he meant by those numbers is taking into account the attrition of people that start but don't even have a chance to match... Those numbers are poetically closer to the 55% vs the 88% that you are using.

I think what he meant by those numbers is taking into account the attrition of people that start but don't even have a chance to match... Those numbers are poetically closer to the 55% vs the 88% that you are using.
I don't think that's what he meant, and it's certainly not what he wrote. He was then trying to use NRMP data reports to justify his claims, which of course is a huge misinterpretation of what those numbers actually represent.

Per the NRMA 2015 Results and Data, 2015 Main Residency Match report Table 6 (PGY-1 Match Rates 1982 - 2015) page 19 - 53.1% of US IMGs matched. That is the highest percentage in the last 5 years.

I'm in the boat with Yosef12, I'm an non-traditional applicant will be 29 this year, I have 2 degrees a BS in biology/chem minor and a BHS in allied health where I work as a medical technologist. I've taken the MCAT twice one old one new new was slightly better but not anywhere near what I wanted (487) out of my two degrees my cGPA is like 3.1 and my sGPA 2.98. I've actually applied to DO schools, 14 i believe but wasn't offered an interview but did do some secondary's. Most likely due to my MCAT and GPA being super close to the min. requirements. I bombed the verbal reasoning section I'm white/U.S. born/speak english as 1st lang. but I suck when it comes to verbal reasoning comprehension (been told to blame it on my ADHD and the fact I've had hearing aids since I was in middle school). I've been around medicine my whole life, father is a DO, aunts are nurses, uncles are dentists, etc... I've shadowed surgery for over a month, and obviously shadowed my father over my lifetime as I like to put it. Done volunteer work (special olympics serveral times/still doing it as well), worked in medical equip. sales, as a medical assistant, phelobtomist, and now a medical technologist. I'm really thinking of applying to SABA because I'm starting to feel if I know I can do more/then why let something stand in my way (in this case MCAT/GPA as I wasn't aware of my best ways to study in college so I struggled). DO YOU GUYS feel the same or should I still try and retake the MCAT? keep in mind it would be my 3rd time and most likely my last (I know med schools don't like to see it taken over 3) its nerve racking to think if I do bad again. OH and I forgot to mention I did do a MCAT prep class but that can't really help with my crap verbal comp.

(also IMO yes the CAR section might show how well a student will be as a physician but in person-person interaction from my clinical experience speaking is so much differnt then reading it). The thought of also doing a MS in biomedical science might still have to happen after another MCAT, so thats 3-4 years right there 1-2 for studying to take MCAT, 1-2 for the MS.

My father keeps saying to look into Sylvan Learning Center but I don't think they get that intence lol. Thoughts/input are apprecieated. SABA is 1st choice international.

@Ford2012 Why don't you consider NP? It seems like it a safer route for people are unable to get into US med school and still want to practice medicine...

I'm in the boat with Yosef12, I'm an non-traditional applicant will be 29 this year, I have 2 degrees a BS in biology/chem minor and a BHS in allied health where I work as a medical technologist. I've taken the MCAT twice one old one new new was slightly better but not anywhere near what I wanted (487) out of my two degrees my cGPA is like 3.1 and my sGPA 2.98. I've actually applied to DO schools, 14 i believe but wasn't offered an interview but did do some secondary's. Most likely due to my MCAT and GPA being super close to the min. requirements. I bombed the verbal reasoning section I'm white/U.S. born/speak english as 1st lang. but I suck when it comes to verbal reasoning comprehension (been told to blame it on my ADHD and the fact I've had hearing aids since I was in middle school). I've been around medicine my whole life, father is a DO, aunts are nurses, uncles are dentists, etc... I've shadowed surgery for over a month, and obviously shadowed my father over my lifetime as I like to put it. Done volunteer work (special olympics serveral times/still doing it as well), worked in medical equip. sales, as a medical assistant, phelobtomist, and now a medical technologist. I'm really thinking of applying to SABA because I'm starting to feel if I know I can do more/then why let something stand in my way (in this case MCAT/GPA as I wasn't aware of my best ways to study in college so I struggled). DO YOU GUYS feel the same or should I still try and retake the MCAT? keep in mind it would be my 3rd time and most likely my last (I know med schools don't like to see it taken over 3) its nerve racking to think if I do bad again. OH and I forgot to mention I did do a MCAT prep class but that can't really help with my crap verbal comp.

(also IMO yes the CAR section might show how well a student will be as a physician but in person-person interaction from my clinical experience speaking is so much differnt then reading it). The thought of also doing a MS in biomedical science might still have to happen after another MCAT, so thats 3-4 years right there 1-2 for studying to take MCAT, 1-2 for the MS.

My father keeps saying to look into Sylvan Learning Center but I don't think they get that intence lol. Thoughts/input are apprecieated. SABA is 1st choice international.

You really need to is a psychologist and get the learning issues under wraps. I feel it is affecting your ability to do well in your academics. This will help you in your course of action. Looking into learning centers at your university and see if there are learning specialists who will help you learn to study (this is different from a tutor who helps with a specific subject). Get your grades up first and then take the MCAT, don't rush it otherwise academic options beyond medicine will be out the window. Good luck.

Sure, everyone believe they can do more or better but the real question is ARE you going to do it when it matters? Most often, the answer is no.. It is so much easier to think and talk about it than to do it. I recommend you first start with putting in the effort to study and do well on the mcat and prove to yourself that you can tackle even the simplest of obstacle because we all know the road ahead is much more difficult than getting an average mcat score. Don't make the mistake of thinking you will excel in medical school and that the mcat was an exception. Also, CAR doesn't make the entirety of your mcat score so it is not an excuse to not hit an average overall mcat score if you REALLY put the effort into it. I don't doubt that you have the ability to do so but you haven't done anything to prove that you can tackle med school yet. If your GPA was solid 3.5< and your mcat score was decent but you couldn't get into a US programs after several tries, I would say go for it, otherwise please refrain from going the Caribbean route.

I agree with IslandStyle. Also, you really shouldn't think about going to med school unless you can prove to yourself that you can do well on standardized tests. They won't end with the MCAT. You should be able to retake and do better. Step 1 makes the MCAT look like a joke, and I imagine board exams are even worse. If you improve that MCAT, DO becomes a real possibility provided you can bump up that sGPA with some retakes.

@Ford2012 Why don't you consider NP? It seems like it a safer route for people are unable to get into US med school and still want to practice medicine...
Funny you should ask that, my twin brother just decided to go to nursing school and has been trying to get me to convert over as well. That's exactly is his plan to get his BSN and then go straight for the NP. The big issue for me deciding as of right now is the debt I will be in right after obtaining a BSN, (I know its nothing compared to PA school or MD/DO school) but as a medical technologist I make what some nurses make so that would just be that much more in debt over time. Don't get me wrong I'm still considering it as a option, but just not convinced yet. I guess after obtaining my 2nd bachelors I kind of drilled into my mind I didn't want to go back unless I was shooting for something bigger via masters or doctors degree. I should probably look more into it, as of what it takes to become a NP via have to have a number of years experience as a nurse 1st? GRE required?

You really need to is a psychologist and get the learning issues under wraps. I feel it is affecting your ability to do well in your academics. This will help you in your course of action. Looking into learning centers at your university and see if there are learning specialists who will help you learn to study (this is different from a tutor who helps with a specific subject). Get your grades up first and then take the MCAT, don't rush it otherwise academic options beyond medicine will be out the window. Good luck.
This has been an issue for awhile. I actually just switched medications to Adderall XR (never had taken it before), but have been noticing a difference. Kind of wish I had used it in College originally. Sadly the best thing to do is move forward and decide the best path/plan to fit my needs.

I agree with IslandStyle. Also, you really shouldn't think about going to med school unless you can prove to yourself that you can do well on standardized tests. They won't end with the MCAT. You should be able to retake and do better. Step 1 makes the MCAT look like a joke, and I imagine board exams are even worse. If you improve that MCAT, DO becomes a real possibility provided you can bump up that sGPA with some retakes.
I have wondered about this myself. I have just been hesitant on the outlook of if I repeated some undergrad science courses. LOL my brothers gf had to take all the science classes before she could apply to nursing school and I ended up helping her get A's or at least understand the concept to get the A's herself in the science classes, kind of had wished I understood that much before hand in college. I will say studying for the MCAT itself has given me get better understanding of certain knowledge I had struggled with in college originally.

Funny you should ask that, my twin brother just decided to go to nursing school and has been trying to get me to convert over as well. That's exactly is his plan to get his BSN and then go straight for the NP. The big issue for me deciding as of right now is the debt I will be in right after obtaining a BSN, (I know its nothing compared to PA school or MD/DO school) but as a medical technologist I make what some nurses make so that would just be that much more in debt over time. Don't get me wrong I'm still considering it as a option, but just not convinced yet. I guess after obtaining my 2nd bachelors I kind of drilled into my mind I didn't want to go back unless I was shooting for something bigger via masters or doctors degree. I should probably look more into it, as of what it takes to become a NP via have to have a number of years experience as a nurse 1st? GRE required?
Look more into NP... But I can tell you MCAT is just the tip of the iceberg when it come to getting a med degree... The stress is enormous and step1 is a very challenging exam (I am studying for it now)...and coming from a Carib school, you might need more than the minimum passing score to land a primary care residency, and getting 230+ on that exam is not as easy as I thought it would be... Anyway, if you have a good plan for med school, just follow it, but look at other options before you plunge in...

By the way, I was a RN for a few years and if I knew Florida was going to pass a law letting NP have all the prescribing privilege that MD/DO has, and med school was going to be that crazy, I would have done NP (psych)...

Most (or many) NP schools do not require GRE; they don't have an organization like LCME that tells them how to run their programs.

Look more into NP... But I can tell you MCAT is just the tip of the iceberg when it come to getting a med degree... The stress is enormous and step1 is a very challenging exam (I am studying for it now)...and coming from a Carib school, you might need more than the minimum passing score to land a primary care residency, and getting 230+ on that exam is not as easy as I thought it would be... Anyway, if you have a good plan for med school, just follow it, but look at other options before you plunge in...

By the way, I was a RN for a few years and if I knew Florida was going to pass a law letting NP have all the prescribing privilege that MD/DO has, and med school was going to be that crazy, I would have done NP (psych)...

Most (or many) NP schools do not require GRE; they don't have an organization like LCME that tells them how to run their programs.
Thanks for the info. I obviously have some serious thinking to do about the options I appreciate your input.